YOUR SETTINGSLIST FORUMSLIST TOPICSSEARCH

TOPIC: Moving Forward – The GK Community – JohnnyGK

PRINT TOPICSEND THIS TO A FRIEND

Listing 1 to 10 of 34 Replies

PAGES: 4 1 2 3 4
JohnnyGK
Moving Forward – The GK Community – JohnnyGK

JohnnyGK

GK Event: Played in a GK Event GKGC EAGLE: GKGC Eagle Supporter Birdie Chain: Stake Holder BCB Birdie Chain SCGA GK Golf Club: Member

Favorite Golfer:
    GK'ers
Favorite Golf Course:
    Pebble Beach Golf Links

RPGC MAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Friday April 10, 2020 10:36 AM
I don’t know if the timing is right with this post with all that is going on. If you think it’s not, and you don’t want to participate in this discussion, that's cool. This conversation will be here for some time as it’s critical for the future of GK.

GK is a one of a kind golf community that every golfer should have an opportunity to experience and be a part of. The GK Community is exceptionally good for the game of golf as it’s constantly helping golfers enjoy it more and build friendships. By enjoying golf more we are growing participation in the game since it is only natural that the more you enjoy something the more you want to do it.

Since launching in 2002 GK’s primary goal has been to expand its community throughout the United States. I want the GK Community to not only fulfill this dream but even more so I want it to endure. Evolving with technology and serving golfers better and better for decades to come.

I feel like GK has been leading me in this direction for a long time but I’ve been too busy to notice it. Instead I’ve been watching the years fly by while pouring my heart and soul and most everything I own into being able to scale and support the GK Community solely with its business model.

The path has to be adjusted. Despite being in existence for almost 20 years and such a benefit to the game, expansion goals are not being realized, GK is struggling to keep up with new technology and support from the golf industry has been very challenging to obtain. The solution as far as I see it is we need to evolve into a larger/better golf community that attracts more golfers to join our GK Community and equally as important, contribute to it, big or small, monetary and/or non-monetary.

Goals:

- Improved Programming, Hosting & Content Management (for all current and future GK platforms)
- Generating & Growing More Operating Capital
- Strengthening and Growing the GK Community
- Playing More Golf Together
- More Quality Content Contributed

Your Suggestions Please:

What would be our roles and ways we could contribute?

And what would the GK Community get in return for contributing other than enjoying the fruits of its contributions in having a larger/better golf community for years to come?

One idea is perks in the form of credit in the GK Store (value based on amounts contributed) that can be used towards GK Plays Outings, GK Guru Outings and other exclusive stuff for GK Community contributors.

My favorite part of this idea is we’ll be able to do many more outings because we’ll have much more participation as a result of the credits. Outings bring the GK Community together in ways where friendships and lasting memories are created. They are an essential piece of our community. What’s also great about doing more outings is that’s exactly what our current and perspective golf course supporters want most.

As I mentioned contributions can come in the form of monetary and/or non-monetary. We’ll need both.

If monetary, understand those funds are a supplement to its business model and not a replacement. All contributions would directly benefit the achievement of the GK Community's goals.

With monetary contributions I believe the best option is non-equity crowdfunding. However GK would not be opposed to equity funding. Venture capital and equity crowdfunding is not the answer as the idea of anyone influencing our GK Community other than us golfers is not acceptable. Angel investors are only acceptable if they are a golfer and in alignment with the GK Community's goals. The bottom line is the only people the GK Community can trust with its future are golfers themselves. We are the ones that cherish GK and we are the ones that should lead it for years to come.

If you have a moment I’d love to hear any thoughts and ideas. Let’s come together with a plan of action.

Also feel free to message me here on GK or e-mail me at golf@greenskeeper.org

Thank You!

Johnny
GK FACEBOOK - Please check it out - CLICK HERE - I'm doing fun posts all the time.
 Message #94559
Nickesquire
RE: Moving Forward – The GK Community – JohnnyGK
GK Event: Played in a GK Event SCGA GK Golf Club: Member GKGC EAGLE: GKGC Eagle Supporter

Favorite Golfer:
    Jack-Freddie-Tiger-Rory
Favorite Golf Course:
    Pebble Poppy Maderas

Friday April 10, 2020 9:32 PM
First, thanks for all you do and have done John.

My initial reaction is this. I think people that want what GK provides and want to be part of the community would pay a reasonable annual fee.

Maybe it's time for non payers to be prohibited from accessing course alerts and being able to post in the forums?
The goal has always been long and straight! But since I can no longer hit them long, hopefully straighter could be achieved more than occasionally?
 Message #94564 - This was a reply to message #94559
sngernz

GK Event: Played in a GK Event GKGC Par: GKGC Par Supporter

Favorite Golfer:
    Bubba!
Favorite Golf Course:
    Spyglass Hill

Saturday April 11, 2020 7:34 AM
Hello John. Like Nick said, thanks for all you do.

I initially found the GK website years ago as a source for up to date course conditions and access to a forum for like-minded golfers in So Cal. Although I've played in several GK 'events' and met some real good people, my desire to expand my circle of golf friends is limited by the time I have available (I'm a member at two clubs which I am very active and have close friends/family which I enjoy golfing with on a regular basis).

That said, I still find this website very useful, but to be able to participate in events is rare for me. Would I pay an annual fee for access to this site? That would be based on what I feel is the value for the service. For discounted golf, for sure, if the discount could only be found here. For course conditions and other info, perhaps if it was just a nominal fee. To be able to play GK events, probably not.

I think of you as a friend and would gladly support GK as best I can. I don't know much about 'crowdfunding' and how to grow a business, I'm just an avid golfer looking for good, solid information and a good deal. But that's me.

I hope that helps.
 Message #94565 - This was a reply to message #94564
Mrkich

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    Rustic Canyon

Saturday April 11, 2020 1:06 PM
I agree a lot here with Nick (as usual). I imagine an annual fee around $20 would be the sweet spot for access to ratings and guru eligibility. Would think having GK plays open to public (maybe priority access for paying member +1) they offer ample opportunity to create revenue.

Finding evangelists who could operate as “regional account managers” in major metros around the country to grow the site and run local events is the logical next step for me. In the early stages hopefully love for the game and the site, and some free golf is enough compensation for these evangelists. I know I was able to find a local version of this site for the Charlotte, NC area while I was living there so the need is there and creating relationships with these operators might prove fruitful.
 Message #94567 - This was a reply to message #94564
JohnnyGK

JohnnyGK

GK Event: Played in a GK Event GKGC EAGLE: GKGC Eagle Supporter Birdie Chain: Stake Holder BCB Birdie Chain SCGA GK Golf Club: Member

Favorite Golfer:
    GK'ers
Favorite Golf Course:
    Pebble Beach Golf Links

Saturday April 11, 2020 4:06 PM
Thank you so much so far.

I'm collecting my thoughts about your recent feedback and would appreciate others to chime in as well.
GK FACEBOOK - Please check it out - CLICK HERE - I'm doing fun posts all the time.
 Message #94568 - This was a reply to message #94559
mpisarski01

Favorite Golfer:
    John Daly & Anyone I beat
Favorite Golf Course:
    Griz. Ranch & Chambers

Saturday April 11, 2020 7:42 PM
I know this has been your baby for a long time but it definitely needs to go nation wide. As for how to fund that maybe advertisements is the way to go. I know a while back you said the website was getting thousands of clicks per day why not monetize that by allowing ads. Sure it takes away from the sites charm just a touch but you need to make money some how. More events always helps but of course that means more work and the need for sweet deals from the courses so you can charge your slice on top and still have it be affordable.

One thing Breakfast ball golf blog does great is they get the smaller golf companies to send stuff so they can talk about their products because they can not afford to go into big box stores yet.
 Message #94569 - This was a reply to message #94568
SCGolf

Favorite Golfer:
    Angelo Erikson
Favorite Golf Course:
    Southern Hills

Sunday April 12, 2020 5:07 AM
As a kid, I asked my mentor why I should be a Trojan. He gave me $10 and asked if I could turn it into $11. I told him I could turn it into $20 in a week. How'd he reply? Here could turn $1M into $2M!!! My lesson. Anybody can turn little money into more. It takes a learned individual to turn big money into a nice portfolio. Something to think about...

Where I would turn my attention:
My banker. I described my relationship with my banker years ago on a GK forum. While there's little need for consumers to have personal contact with their bank, businesses should take advantage of every opportunity. Every contact is an opportunity for a bank to better understand you business. They then become a large advocate in your growth.

The Small Business Administration (SBA). At the time, I HATED these guys. They wanted documentation for everything, justifiably. The process taught me how to qualify & quantify every project. Developed working models, risk assessment, decision making tools, etc. Those methodologies I dreaded, I continue to employ today.

Business Consultants. Your consultant should have no shin in the game. They should be able to define your market niche, saturation, vertical/horizontal integration, opportunities & it's inherent costs/risks.

Investment Bankers. The "shark tank." If you're not familiar with the show, you should be. Sharks will take a big bite outta your business. You might not like the direction there shark wants to take the business. In the end, the shark's experience oftentimes brings either big returns or failures. There are"fair" IBs. Those that'll take you public. It's always good to see what those guys are thinking.

I would also network in the corporate social media environment. Sports specific entertainment industry focused for sure. A few years ago, CBS, Rivals, Scout, Bleacher Report bought much of the homegrown market. I'd want to understand what conditions existed that made those sites attractive.

In regards to expansion, without knowing what resources are available, it's reckless. Consider the General that moved his soldiers past his supply lines. Expansion sometimes means increasing your saturation rate in your current market. Do you have decision making tools in play?

I envy your situation. Enjoyed very much my journey & hope you will as well. You have your GK community behind you & will make new friends along the way.

Best of luck
FIGHT ON!
 Message #94570 - This was a reply to message #94559
mcantos
GK Event: Played in a GK Event

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    Bayonet

Monday April 13, 2020 7:10 AM
As Nick said, Greenskeeper is something the golfing public desires and likes and would pay a reasonable annual fee. I might be overstepping with how little golf I play these days but I don't think 49.95 a year would be asking to much to pay for all the valuable information and discounts that are afforded to the individual from all the participating golf courses. Again just my 2cents. Keep up the great work Johnny and all those that help with the process.
 Message #94577 - This was a reply to message #94559
Deepsea14
GK Event: Played in a GK Event GKGC EAGLE: GKGC Eagle Supporter Birdie Chain: Stake Holder BCB Birdie Chain

Favorite Golfer:
    Dad and his Dad
Favorite Golf Course:
    The one I'm playing

Monday April 13, 2020 8:00 AM
Have considered the SCGA or NCGA and their governing bodies as a source(s) of advice? or USGA?

I participate in the handicapped tournaments offered by NCGA eClub and weekend net tour schedule. Enjoy challenge of competitive golf and see where you stack up against your peers. Other social benefits and playing new courses as well. That applies to the GK plays and guru days too.

Have wondered if there is a decent margin in these events. Are your events generating the revenue to justify running them? The smaller numbers are advantageous for relationship building versus a 96 player field. I'd think both take some time to organize and other logistics, but more players = more revenue for not much more effort. Would less number of events spread through the season(s) "GK Majors" so to say where you have a full field be better? Is there enough incentive for more course(s) to support GK?

If a GK membership needs to be offered (like a Troon card) the revenue would need to be high enough to justify extra work involved and courses need to see benefit to participating. Does a purchase from golf moose or link soul done through the GK site help? Make sure Gkers know about it and encourage us to access purchases from sponsoring vendors through GK link.

Got my new phone and have the GK app. Still getting familiar with how it works. Are you able to take photos and put them up on GK instantly? For example, my next round for the Birdie Chain when Alex326 presents it to me on the 4th hole at Yocha DeHe would be a nice photo to put up right away. If Gkers did this (post current pictures) quickly and easily and the readers could access these pictures (with caption option maybe?) Would feature create more value in being a member bring the community closer knit?

Food for thought... and still missing golf, knowing I will be firing on all cylinders when I dust off the sticks and return to action.
 Message #94578 - This was a reply to message #94577
JohnnyGK

JohnnyGK

Favorite Golfer:
    GK'ers
Favorite Golf Course:
    Pebble Beach Golf Links

Monday April 13, 2020 10:12 AM
All this feedback is awesome on the forums and those of you that are reaching out to me directly. Thank You. I’m am going to reply to everyone of you. Also I thought it would be helpful for me to give more insight into GK’s current business model. So let’s start with this post...

The primarily current business of model of Greenskeeper LLC is to create avid golfer attention towards golf industry services and products, primarily golf courses, through its digital platforms. Those platforms are GK’s website, social media, e-mail database (opt-in), blog, GK Coupons, GK Plays Outings, GK Guru Outings, and mobile apps (right now just iPhone but Android to be developed). Avid golfers play over 75% of all golf rounds in the United States. Approximately 26% of all USA golfers are avid golfers yet account for over 60% of total USA golf spending. Approximately 70% of the users that sign-up on Greenskeeper.org indicate they are avid golfer playing at 24+ times a year. Greenskeeper LLC is a media company. It does not engage in revenue share wholesaling of any kind. It fosters helping its clients to build and strengthen its direct relationships with golfers. Its charges on average $250 per month for its services per client and provides an excellent ROI. The problem is the golf course industry, GK’s core clients, in general does not value marketing its services high enough and consequently budges very little to no money in that regard.

Besides accepting direct monetary support for the services GK provides the golf course industry, it is also open to trade services for GK Plays Outings at select golf courses that GK knows meets its GK Plays standards of a great golf experience. Sounds easy to arrange but its actually quite complicated in many cases to get these approved despite the enormous marketing benefit that results from hosting a GK Plays in addition to their GK Supporter presence. Those trade relationships are the reason GK was able to provide some incredible deals on our outings in the past. In all cases with those outing prices GK made sure the golf courses were fine with the price as the last thing GK wants to do is hurt a golf course's rate integrity.

You’ll see on the list of GK Community Golf Course Supporters which I’ve linked up here are either golf courses that provide great overall golf experiences and highly value GK spreading the word about it. Or golf courses that highly value our GK Coupon services (which is growing). In many cases golf courses value both. Think about this, who are the most popular golf courses in the Inland Empire? Answer Goose Creek and Oak Quarry. Both golf courses have been GK Community supporters for close to 10 years. Similar scenario in Palm Springs with Indian Wells Golf Resort and Desert Willow Golf Resort. In San Diego County, Rams Hill Golf Club has been a supporter of GK since they reopened. In Santa Barbara, Sandpiper Golf Club and Rancho San Marcos Golf Club. Out in Vegas, Reflection Bay, Rio Secco, Cascata and others. Why? Because they understand how important their brand is to avid golfers. They understand that avid golfers, like the GK Community, not only play the most golf, but also are the most influential in today’s culture at influencing other golfers where to play. They’re smart. They don’t take their success for granted. That’s why they are on top and will stay on top in their markets. And on the flip-side it’s just baffling that more golf courses are not emulating their market leaders. I’ve gone as far as co-authoring a book (The Social Golf Course), speaking at conferences and above all else meeting with golf courses personally to help educate them. I have been grinding at this for close to 20 years and have heard every possible NO you can imagine. But I keep on at it because I’m determined to build more support for the GK Community. We are amazing and we deserved to be appreciated and supported more by the golf course industry. We bring great value to the game of golf and to golf courses.
 Message #94580 - This was a reply to message #94559

Listing 1 to 10 of 34 Replies

PAGES: 4 1 2 3 4

[ Community Page ]