Discussions in --- Use This to POST ---
Moderated By JohnnyGK

Forums
Greenskeeper.org
--- Use This to POST ---
What Golf Course Hooked You To Golf?
YOUR SETTINGSLIST FORUMSLIST TOPICSSEARCH

TOPIC: What Golf Course Hooked You To Golf?

PRINT TOPICSEND THIS TO A FRIEND

Listing 1 to 10 of 16 Replies

PAGES: 2 1 2
JohnnyGK

JohnnyGK

GK Event: Played in a GK Event GKGC EAGLE: GKGC Eagle Supporter Birdie Chain: Stake Holder BCB Birdie Chain SCGA GK Golf Club: Member

Favorite Golfer:
    GK'ers
Favorite Golf Course:
    Pebble Beach Golf Links

RPGC MAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Saturday November 14, 2020 9:57 AM

Mine was Balboa Golf Course in Encino, CA - 1982 - Played it about 5 times before I played another golf course. On the par 5 hole 3 first time playing the course I stripe my first big drive. It was a Driver that came with a starter pack from Big 5 my folks bought for me the week before. My friend Mike DuRoff who encouraged me to take up golf then proceeded to tell me about the Taft High golf team. The memories of playing Balboa Golf Course will last forever. It’s where I got hooked to golf.

GK FACEBOOK - Please check it out - CLICK HERE - I'm doing fun posts all the time.
 Message #96944
RDDenn
RE: What Golf Course Hooked You To Golf?

GK Event: Played in a GK Event

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    Barona Creek

Saturday November 14, 2020 11:48 AM
Claremont Golf Course for me, back in 1969. Nine hole executive course, gone for some years now. Perfect for learning and enjoying the game. The greens were good in those days, nice little chipping/putting area. Marshall Canyon cemented it but Claremont is where it started.
 Message #96945 - This was a reply to message #96944
FirstFlightFX-101
GKGC Par: GKGC Par Supporter GK Event: Played in a GK Event

Favorite Golfer:
    Dave Stockton
Favorite Golf Course:
    Oak Q & V, Rancho DelSol

Saturday November 14, 2020 12:18 PM
The very first one.
Started new job on Monday after Superbowl in 90', and my new boss asked if played golf. I said "no, but I'm pretty good at miniature golf". He says, "whatever, you're going with us this friday". He said no jeans, no t-shirt and I will bring a set of clubs for you. Talk about being thrown into the deep end, he gives me a set of persimmons and northwestern blades. He gives me about 20 minutes of instruction on the range(chips, pitching, punches, half and full swings). The only things I can pull off are chips and punches. He says, "you're ready". I said, "uhh, really"? He hands me a beer and says "yep, let's go". I proceed to embarrass myself by whiffing, skulling, pushing, pulling, spraying and skying everything. But somehow, my boss and co-workers turn it into humble fun and laughter. This is the first part that has me hooked.
I'm posting 10's on every hole. By the 5th or 6th hole, my boss says from now on, if I don't reach the green by stroke 8, pick it up and come under hand it up on the green with us and try to putt it in with only two more strokes. This inclusive quick fix for me, was the next part to have me hooked.
I don't remember exact details, but I did have one good punch shot out from the trees, a bump and run chip on to a flat green, a 5 wood from the tee that carried at least 180, and a few 2 putted greens. These solidified my intent to now golf.
The course was Calimesa Country Club, a quirky beast of a course that would demolish scorecards and anger slicers. A narrow counter-clockwise course with immediate chaparral hillsides. Don't even think of starting a round there with less than 10 balls in you bag.

Its all humble fun. Cheers,
 Message #96946 - This was a reply to message #96944
caligolfer1031
GK Event: Played in a GK Event

Favorite Golfer:
    Adam Scott, Bubba Watson
Favorite Golf Course:
    Spyglass Hill

Saturday November 14, 2020 4:11 PM
Mine was two par 3 pitch and putts. Gene List in Bellflower and Big Tee in Buena Park. My dad and his brothers talked me into going out and was hooked right away. Because if then I dont mind people talking during my swing because my uncle Jim couldnt shut up if his life depended on it, so it just became background noise. Had my first and only HIO at Gene List 2 months after starting. If we are talking about 18 hole courses it would be Dad Miller or Fullerton
 Message #96947 - This was a reply to message #96946
24hourgolf
SCGA GK Golf Club: Member

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    N/A

RPGC MAIL USER ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Saturday November 14, 2020 4:15 PM
I was 9 years old and with my Father and Uncle (a great amatuer player) at Glens Falls Country Club. I watched my Dad and Uncle talking with a golfer, who I later found out was none other than Ben Hogan. My uncle took me under his wing to teach me the game of golf. I always joked that it was just too use me as his caddy? I could not have had a better teacher regarding the game of golf and life. It set my foundation for life in many many ways. Whenever I see a young boy/girl out on the course with there Dad/Mom, I am reminded of my early golf intro and know that the game will always be around.
 Message #96948 - This was a reply to message #96944
mpisarski01
GK Event: Played in a GK Event GKGC EAGLE: GKGC Eagle Supporter Birdie Chain: Stake Holder BCB Birdie Chain SCGA GK Golf Club: Member

Favorite Golfer:
    John Daly & Anyone I beat
Favorite Golf Course:
    Griz. Ranch & Chambers

Saturday November 14, 2020 6:47 PM
My brother and I played David l baker at least 30 times every summer when we were youngsters due to the Kids club card giving $1 rounds and $2 hotdogand drink it was a nice babysitter for our parents. $5 each and boom 7-8 hours of daycare
 Message #96949 - This was a reply to message #96948
Alex326
GK Event: Played in a GK Event Birdie Chain: Stake Holder BCB Birdie Chain GKGC EAGLE: GKGC Eagle Supporter

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    Pebble Beach

Saturday November 14, 2020 7:39 PM
After a disappointing 2nd place in Northern Ireland in 2013 I decided to take a break from competitive cycling for a year. In November 2014 we went to Hawaii on vacations and friends told us we should golf while we were there. The wife had just started up the game a few months earlier and told me to buy some new clubs so we could play while there. Played twice in Monterey at Laguna Seca then headed over. Played Kapalua Ocean course and got hooked when I hit a beautiful iron over the ocean (hole 6) onto the green for a nice two putt par!

After a couple days of cycling and surfing I played Kananapali and made my first ever birdie on one of the par 3's. It then became official. I was hooked!
In 2015 I started riding less and stopped racing all together while playing golf on a regular/semi-regular basis. In 2016 it was full on golf!
 Message #96950 - This was a reply to message #96949
roarksown1
GK Event: Played in a GK Event Birdie Chain: Stake Holder BCB Birdie Chain GKGC Par: GKGC Par Supporter

Favorite Golfer:
    Ty Webb
Favorite Golf Course:
    Bighorn Golf Club

Sunday November 15, 2020 9:54 PM
I guess it would have to be the Lakes at El Segundo. Not quite Riviera, but it was a great place to start back in 2012/13.
 Message #96957 - This was a reply to message #96950
sbarajasjr
GK Event: Played in a GK Event GKGC Par: GKGC Par Supporter Birdie Chain: Stake Holder BCB Birdie Chain SCGA GK Golf Club: Member

Favorite Golfer:
    Lee Trevino
Favorite Golf Course:
    Spyglass & Pasatiempo

Monday November 16, 2020 7:33 AM
QUOTED  What Golf Course Hooked You To Golf?

It was the OTHER Balboa GC for me; Balboa Park GC. I grew up a mere 4 blocks from the 9 hole version of the older 18 and my father and I would sneak on after the starter left in the very early 90's and he would show me what he knew, often getting to play the first 5 holes before it got dark. It will always be my home course no matter where I am at.
 Message #96958 - This was a reply to message #96944
AndrewZ28
GK Event: Played in a GK Event GK Cup: Past & Current Champions of The GK Cup Birdie Chain: Stake Holder BCB Birdie Chain

Favorite Golfer:
    Ben Hogan
Favorite Golf Course:
    La Purisima

Monday November 16, 2020 12:14 PM
Costa Mesa Golf Course for me. Both Linda and Lagos (although mostly Linda). Apparently my parents and Matt's parents had the same great idea for cheap day care because CMGC had a summer junior card for $35 a month that included golf any time after 2 pm and free range balls. I'd get dropped off on my mom's way to work and then picked up at dark. Those were the days!
 Message #96963 - This was a reply to message #96958

Listing 1 to 10 of 16 Replies

PAGES: 2 1 2

[ Community Page ]