mlslaw
Walking on public courses now

Favorite Golfer:
    Fred Couples
Favorite Golf Course:
    Rustic Canyon

RPGC MAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Sunday January 3, 2021 12:26 PM
I know some players are having some success walking on without a time these days. My group has picked up singles here and there. Just wondering about your experiences and how course policies mite differ. Are there certain courses where this is a complete non starter? Not talking weekends here.

I recall once at Olivas months ago where a single was sent out to the first tee to join a 3 some and, after making contact, was told by the 3 some they refused to play with the single due to covid concerns. The single acquiesced. That, it seems to me, would be an outlier.
 Message #97447
noeldaof
RE: Walking on public courses now
GK Event: Played in a GK Event GKGC Par: GKGC Par Supporter

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    N/A

RPGC MAIL USER ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Sunday January 3, 2021 12:54 PM
Interesting, but who knows if those three are the ones with COVID?
JVGA
 Message #97449 - This was a reply to message #97447
Nickesquire
GK Event: Played in a GK Event SCGA GK Golf Club: Member GKGC EAGLE: GKGC Eagle Supporter

Favorite Golfer:
    Jack-Freddie-Tiger-Rory
Favorite Golf Course:
    Pebble Poppy Maderas

Monday January 4, 2021 10:23 AM
It would be interesting if the COURSE pushed the issue.

If the course has a full tee sheet and everyone is paying their $50 bucks to play, the single has as much right to play as the 3some. And the course certainty has the right to insist that all tee time slots are filled up on busy days.

The basic question is should a 2some or 3some be allowed to treat a tee time like they are playing on their own private course, and it is their call to exclude others?
The goal has always been long and straight! But since I can no longer hit them long, hopefully straighter could be achieved more than occasionally?
 Message #97462 - This was a reply to message #97449
RDDenn

GK Event: Played in a GK Event

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    Barona Creek

Monday January 4, 2021 10:57 AM
Timely question. I walked up to the starter at Alondra on 12/26 at about 9:00 am asking about a waiting list. The starter emphatically, and rudely in my opinion, told me that there was no waiting list and no course was allowed to have one at the present time. Although I did not appreciate his tone, a simple "no" would have sufficed, I thought it was amusing also because I had been on the waiting list that morning at another course and left when it was evident that everyone was arriving.

I have not walked on as a single during the pandemic that I recall, but I have heard groups called to the tee which obviously included persons on a waiting list. The first weekend gold was open in Riverside County in April, I called a course and was told that I could not wait around to play but if I gave them my phone number and waited in the car they would call me when they had an opening.

Personally, I have no problem with walk ons. Golf is either a safe, socially distanced possible sport, or it isn't. In my experience, it is possible to play and stay socially distanced. Apparently LA County agrees because it had monitors on the courses for months after they opened up again in April or May and there was no evident issue.
 Message #97463 - This was a reply to message #97447
bnr1986

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    prestwick GC

Monday January 4, 2021 11:19 AM
how did that 3 some get away with such a maneuver at olivas? they don't own the tee time, they merely own the slots allotted to them in that tee time. im stunned the single stood down, i wouldn't have. if i were olivas, i would have told that group of 3 that they were being charged for that single's greens fee as well even if he got out later. again, this assumes that this single was walking or riding alone. if olivas asked him to get in a cart w/ a stranger, that's another story.
 Message #97465 - This was a reply to message #97447
Nickesquire
GK Event: Played in a GK Event SCGA GK Golf Club: Member GKGC EAGLE: GKGC Eagle Supporter

Favorite Golfer:
    Jack-Freddie-Tiger-Rory
Favorite Golf Course:
    Pebble Poppy Maderas

Monday January 4, 2021 1:01 PM
QUOTED  if i were olivas, i would have told that group of 3 that they were being charged for that single's greens fee as well even if he got out later.

Agree totally that if a 3some wanted to play with a vacant slot, they need to pay extra for the privilege, because their actions have the following effects:

1-They are being generous with the courses revenue. Potentially costs the course $$$ every time an available tee time goes unused on busy days. Plus, they are guaranteed to generate $0 extra income from concessions, range balls, pro shop supplies etc. from a vacant slot even if an additional green fee was paid.

2-They are being generous with the singles time. So he has to wait around for another spot to open up because they are uncomfortable playing with a stranger?

To Noel's point, the single was risking exposure x 3 with "outsiders". The 3some was risking exposure x 1 to an "outsider". I am sure it never occurred to the 3some that perhaps everyone else should have been allowed to tee off and let THEM wait on the next 4some slot that was vacant?

Same caveat with most airlines booking policies. If you want the seat vacant next to you, you can pay double and book it to keep it vacant. But many airlines reserve the right to fill a paid for, vacant seat with a body if the flight is full/over booked and refund the $$$. You can just deal with a person beside you for a few hours, or give up both seats and wait on a later flight. Or book a private flight.

The person wanting the extra space should not be allowed to deprive the airline of extras they can get from a paying body in that seat... meals, drinks, luggage etc. Nor should they be allowed to dictate that others have to wait on a later flight because they want extra room. I see no difference in this situation on a golf course.
The goal has always been long and straight! But since I can no longer hit them long, hopefully straighter could be achieved more than occasionally?
 Message #97468 - This was a reply to message #97465
mlslaw

Favorite Golfer:
    Fred Couples
Favorite Golf Course:
    Rustic Canyon

Wednesday January 6, 2021 12:54 PM
No, the single was walking. He was sent out to the first tee and contacted the 3 some on the tee (my 4 some was next up). The 4 talked briefly and the single then slinked away. We asked him what's up and he said the 3 some refused to let him join, citing covid. I don't blame the single for walking off as it would have been kind of intolerable to force himself into that group. Life's too short, isn't it?
 Message #97495 - This was a reply to message #97465
Deepsea14
GK Event: Played in a GK Event GKGC EAGLE: GKGC Eagle Supporter Birdie Chain: Stake Holder BCB Birdie Chain

Favorite Golfer:
    Dad and his Dad
Favorite Golf Course:
    The one I'm playing

Thursday January 7, 2021 10:35 AM
3-some should have been charged the lost revenue from the single spot left open by their choice.

Free round at future date with beverage offered to the single. Starter tries to get him out with another group later on.

It's just fun?! Everybody happy?
 Message #97504 - This was a reply to message #97495

Listing 1 to 8 of 8 Replies

PAGES: 1

[ Community Page ]