mlslaw
Etiquette on the greens

Favorite Golfer:
    Fred Couples
Favorite Golf Course:
    Rustic Canyon

RPGC MAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Sunday August 1, 2021 7:02 PM
When I'm not the last to putt out on the green, I will often just walk off the green and proceed to the next hole, of course making sure to not disturb
the remaining players. I sometimes wonder if that's bad etiquette or an OK move to speed play along. I've never been called on it but am just seeking a consensus here as to its propriety. Thanks.
 Message #99570
1PLUS1
RE: Etiquette on the greens

GK Event: Played in a GK Event GK Guru: GK Gurus Review Writers

Favorite Golfer:
    Seve; Nick Faldo
Favorite Golf Course:
    Belgrade Lakes (Maine)

Sunday August 1, 2021 8:17 PM
Interesting question. Depends...if I'm familiar with everyone else in the group (friends) or if it's something like a GK Event, I'll stick around until everyone is finished putting. However, I'll most likely position myself close to the 'exit' point. As far as how the situation applies when paired up with strangers, I've found myself making an early move towards the next tee but only in certain instances; pace-of-play being one and/or looking for some space to 'blow off a little steam' being the other. Generally speaking though, I'll remain with the group.

Not sure if I'd look upon it as discourteous...some people might take it that way, others may not...but leaving the green prematurely could send a subtle suggestion that you're impatient, whether intended or not. Which someone could misinterpret and take as a personal affront. Leave the green early just to go sit in the golf cart (assuming you're not riding as a single)? Bad look in my opinion if you make a habit out of it.
 Message #99571 - This was a reply to message #99570
Alex326
GK Event: Played in a GK Event Birdie Chain: Stake Holder BCB Birdie Chain GKGC EAGLE: GKGC Eagle Supporter GK Guru: GK Gurus Review Writers GK Cup Player: If you played in a GK Cup win or lose - you are acknowledged and appreciated!

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    Pebble Beach

Sunday August 1, 2021 8:17 PM
50/50 in my book. If you are walking and others are riding then yes to speed things up go ahead and head to the next tee. Especially if the group is falling behind. On the other hand if it's a waiting game on the tee box for the group ahead to clear out then I'd say wait until everyone putts out.
 Message #99572 - This was a reply to message #99570
Nickesquire
GK Event: Played in a GK Event SCGA GK Golf Club: Member GKGC EAGLE: GKGC Eagle Supporter GK Guru: GK Gurus Review Writers GK Cup Player: If you played in a GK Cup win or lose - you are acknowledged and appreciated!

Favorite Golfer:
    Jack Freddie Tiger Rory
Favorite Golf Course:
    Pebble Wolf Creek Poppy

Sunday August 1, 2021 9:28 PM
QUOTED  I've found myself making an early move towards the next tee but only in certain instances; pace-of-play being one and/or looking for some space to 'blow off a little steam' being the other. Generally speaking though, I'll remain with the group.

QUOTED  If you are walking and others are riding then yes to speed things up go ahead and head to the next tee. Especially if the group is falling behind. On the other hand if it's a waiting game on the tee box for the group ahead to clear out then I'd say wait until everyone putts out.

Agree totally with these opinions.

Yesterday I was walking, my 2 playing partners were riding. Between several greens and the next tee was a little hike. Those holes I putted out and told them I would meet them on the next tee after they putted out. Totally for POP. All the other greens I waited until they putted out.

Traditionally, I think it was considered bad form to almost ever leave the green before your playing partners putted out. Today, because POP is more of an issue than it was 30-50 years ago, I think it is much more acceptable if done quietly.
The goal has always been long and straight! But since I can no longer hit them long, hopefully straighter could be achieved more than occasionally?
 Message #99575 - This was a reply to message #99571
1PLUS1
RE:

GK Event: Played in a GK Event GK Guru: GK Gurus Review Writers

Favorite Golfer:
    Seve; Nick Faldo
Favorite Golf Course:
    Belgrade Lakes (Maine)

Sunday August 1, 2021 9:32 PM
QUOTED 
Yesterday I was walking, my 2 playing partners were riding. Between 2 green and 3 tee and again from 5 green to 6 tee is a decent little hike. Both holes I putted out and told them I would meet them on the next tee after they putted out. Totally for POP. All the other greens I waited until they putted out.

And there you have it; just a simple verbalization of your intention which should eliminate any misunderstanding or misinterpretation of your actions.
 Message #99576
mlslaw
RE: RE:

Favorite Golfer:
    Fred Couples
Favorite Golf Course:
    Rustic Canyon

Wednesday August 4, 2021 3:10 PM
I don't think there's any need to verbalize. Your careful bodily movements fully communicate. Or, maybe verbalize it once and that then clues everybody in.
 Message #99601 - This was a reply to message #99576
noeldaof
GK Event: Played in a GK Event GKGC Par: GKGC Par Supporter GK Guru: GK Gurus Review Writers

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    N/A

RPGC MAIL USER ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Wednesday August 4, 2021 3:47 PM
In a pace of 4 hours or under, whenever I'm putting out last and the guys moved on to the next tee or watch me in a distance to see if I made the putt or not, it has never had any effect on me. On the other hand, with the guys I normally play with, if I did the same, it has never been a problem.
It isn't always like that, but I'm just saying that it has happened without an issue.

Whenever I'm the single and don't know anyone, and had putted out first, I have done the same in gradual efforts to improve the pace of play- waiting close by where we would exit to the next tee... just off the green... by the cart... as polite or quietly as I could.

My experience as a single playing local courses for the most part is that the group easily falls behind. Hanging around the green can influence a lax and time consuming for or in a casual round. That's the reason I try and move it along.

Back maybe in the 90's I do remember folks saying to move out from the green with everyone in your group, but that just takes too much time most especially whenever a new person in golf is with. I believe in encouraging everyone to be ready and move along a good pace is a much better and needed etiquette. However, if anyone would observe a group of seasoned golfers- no matter their scoring abilities are, you may see them all walk off the green together as they do their business well like clockwork.
JVGA
 Message #99602 - This was a reply to message #99570
CPennbo

Community Director/Women

GK Event: Played in a GK Event GK Guru: GK Gurus Review Writers GK Cup Player: If you played in a GK Cup win or lose - you are acknowledged and appreciated!

Favorite Golfer:
    Mickelson
Favorite Golf Course:
    Eagle Falls/Balboa

Thursday August 5, 2021 1:22 PM
I'm usually walking. If I feel the urge to putt out and move while others are still on the green I make sure to keep my eyes on what's going on there. I feel like it's a respect issue. Golf IS a social game as all GKers should know. Just walking away with never a backwards look seems to imply "I don't care what you are doing or how you are doing it." Feels rude to me. If for the sake of PoP I feel the need to move, like I said I keep watching or I stop every once in awhile and look back so at least to give the impression I'm interested! :-)
New Year's Resolution- HAVE MORE FUN, DO MORE, SEE MORE, LAUGH MORE!
 Message #99611 - This was a reply to message #99602
AndrewZ28
GK Event: Played in a GK Event GK Cup: Past & Current Champions of The GK Cup Birdie Chain: Stake Holder BCB Birdie Chain GK Guru: GK Gurus Review Writers GK Cup Player: If you played in a GK Cup win or lose - you are acknowledged and appreciated!

Favorite Golfer:
    Ben Hogan
Favorite Golf Course:
    La Purisima

Friday August 6, 2021 11:53 AM
If I played with someone who did this I my first reaction would be "what an a-hole". I don't think I actually played with anyone who did this unless they were super pissed once or twice and needed to blow off a little steam. I think its a complete breach of golf etiquette to do it as a normal practice. Even if you think you're not disturbing someone, its such a different behavior than the norm that there's no way it wouldn't be a distraction.

But as a couple people mentioned if I'm walking and others are riding and there's a big walk to the next hole I might let them know I'm going to run ahead. Same goes for if I'm heading over the the beverage cart or snack bar
 Message #99630 - This was a reply to message #99611
jamesg18015
GK Event: Played in a GK Event GKGC Par: GKGC Par Supporter

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    N/A

Friday August 6, 2021 1:27 PM
I used to play in a regular group with one guy who would do this if he was the first to the green and had a tap-in putt. He'd walk off the green, walk to the next tee, hit his drive, and wait for the rest of us there. It was strictly for pace-of-play reasons (we typically played when the course was empty and wanted to get around fast) and we all knew when he was going to do it and why, so it was no surprise.

Personally it wouldn't bother me, but some people might find it a little odd in a group of randoms who don't know each other if someone does this unless they verbally announce their intentions. Just walking off towards the next tee without a word may be seen as a little aloof. Occasionally if I have a total blow up hole and pick up my ball before reaching the green, or even on the green but before putting, I'll tell the other people I'm going to pick up and meet them on the next tee.
 Message #99632 - This was a reply to message #99570

Listing 1 to 10 of 11 Replies

PAGES: 2 1 2

[ Community Page ]