YOUR SETTINGSLIST FORUMSLIST TOPICSSEARCH

TOPIC: Post COVID-19 The State of Golf

PRINT TOPICSEND THIS TO A FRIEND

Listing 1 to 9 of 9 Replies

PAGES: 1
ringworld
Post COVID-19 The State of Golf

Community Director

GK Event: Played in a GK Event ringworld-blog: golfing guru ringworld blog GKGC EAGLE: GKGC Eagle Supporter SCGA GK Golf Club: Member

Favorite Golfer:
    Rory Mcilroy he's peachy
Favorite Golf Course:
    Spanish Bay Pebble Beach

RPGC MAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Friday July 3, 2020 3:23 AM
Here in California, we have an interesting situation here.

Before Covid-19 shutdown, tee times were spaced typically 6-10 minutes, mostly closer to 6 minutes or around 10 groups per hour.

After Covid-19, tee times are currently spaced around 10 minutes, typically around 12 minutes or around 5 groups per hour.

Have you noticed the pace of play? Or am I dreaming? We can actually finish a round in approximately 4 to 4 1/2 hours. Throw in the longer daylight hours and it's a perfect storm for your typical golfer to finish around even if you start around 4PM.

I know this won't continue but what do you think the golf courses should do once they relax the restrictions? Would it be prudent for them to keep to the longer times between groups OR back to the PACK THEM IN MENTALITY of before? Thoughts?
Work Hard. Play Golf! www.ace-cases.com
Oh yeah, I blog too: www.golfing-guru.com

Know before you go.... golfing with Greenskeeper.org!
 Message #95581
RDDenn
RE: Post COVID-19 The State of Golf

GK Event: Played in a GK Event

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    Barona Creek

Friday July 3, 2020 5:35 PM
I made the same comment today on the 10th tee at Los Verdes. We played the front in 1:50, starting at 6:40 am, which is over an hour after daylight. It was closer to 4-4.5 hours usually before the covid pandemic. We finished in 3:55. They are not doing fivesomes and the spacing seems to have made a big difference.

If it were up to me, keeping either of those measures, limiting group times or spacing, would help. I am sensitive to golf courses staying economically viable, so I do not expect the present status quo to survive.
 Message #95588 - This was a reply to message #95581
kassper7
GK Event: Played in a GK Event GK Cup: Past & Current Champions of The GK Cup GKGC BIRDIE: GKGC Birdie Supporter SCGA GK Golf Club: Member

Favorite Golfer:
    It varies
Favorite Golf Course:
    Oak Quarry

Friday July 3, 2020 5:49 PM
This question seems rhetorical.
 Message #95589 - This was a reply to message #95588
kviser

SoCal Community Staff

GK Event: Played in a GK Event LA-GK-Meetup-Winner: LA GK Meetup Winner GKGC BIRDIE: GKGC Birdie Supporter SCGA GK Golf Club: Member

Favorite Golfer:
    Fred Couples
Favorite Golf Course:
    River Ridge

Friday July 3, 2020 6:18 PM
Five hour round today at Rancho Vista in Palmdale. I'm pretty sure they are 10 minute tee times.

Lots of newer golfers out here. People have time on their hands and money to golf.

We had a 12:00 tee time and the first two holes were so slow, I knew we were in for a long day. I'm sure having a later tee time was part of the problem.

It wasn't terrible; I could slow down every aspect of my game and it might actually help me. As it was, I hit 8/14 fairways and made two birdies. No pressure golf, lots of beers to drink and it turned out okay.

Yeah, I would like to see that the courses stay with 10 minute tee times after all this C19 hysteria dies out. The way things are now, anything is possible.

[[Edited by kviser on Friday July 3, 2020 6:47 PM]]
 Message #95590 - This was a reply to message #95581
onehacker

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    N/A

RPGC MAIL USER ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Saturday August 29, 2020 8:43 AM
Speedier round might have more to do with what they changed on the putting surface.
Most golf courses have no traditional cut cups on the greens. Golfers are more relaxed of the "holing out" rule. That along will speed up the round quite a bit.
Spacing out the tee time will not help, as golfers will find a way to go back on their own pace. I had seen 5 hour round when the tee time gap was 15-18 minutes.
Unless the USGA allows the minimum contact method of modified scoring on the putting surface...... I don't see a great improvement on the pace of play when we passed the pandemic.
 Message #96080 - This was a reply to message #95581
sr129
GK Event: Played in a GK Event GKGC BIRDIE: GKGC Birdie Supporter

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    goose creek

Saturday August 29, 2020 11:51 AM
Some people have no idea about pace of play. During a recent round we watched the foursome ahead of us in separate carts all drive to one players ball, watch him hit and then drive to next persons ball. You would think Common sense would prevail and they would all drive to their own ball. The round ended up being 4 1/2 hours but could have easily been 4 hours.
 Message #96081 - This was a reply to message #96080
onehacker

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    N/A

RPGC MAIL USER ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Wednesday September 2, 2020 5:51 AM
You'll never know if those 4-some were playing for big money...... I would watch the others like a hawk is something is on the outcome of the game. Couldn't trust anyone these days, even those you have known for awhile.
 Message #96111 - This was a reply to message #96081
Nickesquire
GK Event: Played in a GK Event SCGA GK Golf Club: Member GKGC EAGLE: GKGC Eagle Supporter

Favorite Golfer:
    Jack-Freddie-Tiger-Rory
Favorite Golf Course:
    Pebble Poppy Maderas

Friday September 4, 2020 7:13 AM
QUOTED  This question seems rhetorical.

Have to agree. I think the question is can you teach an old dog new tricks?

Many golf courses are currently being held hostage by Golf Now because they are at least a decade behind in developing their own online tee sheet. It has always been short sighted thinking on any golf courses part to give away hundreds of $$$ in tee times every day to GN rather than spend the thousands required once to develop their own means of distributing tee times online and then keep that daily $$$ for themselves. Most courses for the amount they give away in tee times in a year to GN could have long ago had their own online tee sheet complete with marketing set up, keeping their future $$$ in house.

Think about the almost always non GN courses who set up attractive drink/lunch packages? Word of mouth spreads quickly, and for at least a time, they increase their on course business in doing so? Golfers like to think they are getting a deal, paying $75 for a round of golf/cart seems expensive... until the course throws in a lunch or breakfast voucher, then it seems decently priced to the masses. And the course should know that if they "give away" 100 meals per day, those 100 people will be spending additional $$$ @ the course on drinks or pro shop items because the course managed to keep them on property for an extra period. Think of how many restaurants/snack stands on any particular course are sparsely used, then are suddenly full when the course offers an incentive to use them? I see it all the time.

If it's an individual course, then I think there is hope that they may see that some of the COVID-19 changes have speeded up play and keep them implemented into whenever there is a post COVID-19 world (think vaccine). However, if it's one of the large corporations (American Golf) that many short sighted politicians/municipalities hire for a large group of courses in their jurisdiction because the projected profit looks better?

For those companies, no, I think things will go back to normal with them sending out 5somes at ridiculous intervals resulting in the previous POP challenges as soon as they can get by with it. Because most of us have seen that no matter what they promise, they will soon be providing cut rate maintenance and customer service with a lesser maintained golf course.
The goal has always been long and straight! But since I can no longer hit them long, hopefully straighter could be achieved more than occasionally?
 Message #96140 - This was a reply to message #95589
Briggslaw
GKGC Par: GKGC Par Supporter SCGA GK Golf Club: Member

Favorite Golfer:
    Mark O’Meara
Favorite Golf Course:
    Mission Hills Gary Player

Tuesday November 17, 2020 7:24 AM
Current issue of Fore magazine (SCGA) has good article on this. POP is improved generally, and more golfers evidently are playing particularly later i. The day because POP has not backed up the courses by then. My experience is that courses are plenty busy all day long and POP is improved significantly at a variety of public courses.
 Message #96978 - This was a reply to message #95581

Listing 1 to 9 of 9 Replies

PAGES: 1

[ Community Page ]