msherer260
After Covid

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    N/A

RPGC MAIL USER ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Tuesday February 23, 2021 7:14 PM
When the pandemic is under control I wonder what public golf is going to be like? For sure all the courses I have played are getting much more business then in the past and I am really worried when things get back to normal less people will be out playing and we are going to face another round of public golf closures and/or and increase in green fees for sure.....some of these owners are getting a taste for profit for the first time in years....will they settle for close to breaking even again?
 Message #97948
noeldaof
RE: After Covid
GK Event: Played in a GK Event GKGC Par: GKGC Par Supporter

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    N/A

Wednesday February 24, 2021 10:01 AM
Yeah, that's an interesting thought on the numbers of new into golf who would stick to golf:
If we're just speculating, my thoughts are the ones that got jump started back in and the ones whom had been on the fence about playing golf would probably continue on, but for the ones who just picked it up and went to the range a few times might be done and not stay. But either way, golf would have a net increase of players compared to end of 2019.

In the bigger part of your question that may or may not affect the greens fee is even more interesting. I just seriously doubt it would go back down, but I'm one of the guys who hopes the greens fee would come back down and of course, I hope I'm wrong about it not coming down. It's rare that it would roll back but one of the courses here in the Antelope Valley had rolled their prices back to the beginning of 2020. It has gone as high as $73 last summer to ride and back now to low 60s- hope it stays that way.

[[Edited by noeldaof on Wednesday February 24, 2021 10:04 AM]]
JVGA
 Message #97956 - This was a reply to message #97948
JohnnyGK

JohnnyGK

GK Event: Played in a GK Event GKGC EAGLE: GKGC Eagle Supporter Birdie Chain: Stake Holder BCB Birdie Chain SCGA GK Golf Club: Member

Favorite Golfer:
    GK'ers
Favorite Golf Course:
    Pebble Beach Golf Links

RPGC MAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Wednesday February 24, 2021 10:41 AM
In my opinion the pandemic has created very long lasting culture shift that aligns very well with golf participation. The culture shift is it will take a very long time for golfers that had other recreational interests and those that have other recreational interests that took up golf to feel comfortable going back to those other recreational interests. Basically its going to take a long time for them to feel safe enough to jump back into the water again. The large majority of the world is no longer naïve about the threat of a pandemic and golf has proved it can endure through a pandemic. Its a recreation people know they can count on now and play long into their lives.

Golf course operators will continued to have huge success with increase demand. I don't see golf courses closing for revenue cash flow reasons for some time. I don't see them lowering their rates much either unless they are in destination markets. Right now destination golf markets are taking a hit but they should make a giant comeback at the latest in Winter 2022 (unless of course the current pandemic drags on). The only courses that possibly need to hold on are in destination markets but fortunately those golf courses had excellent 2019 and pre-2020 pandemic success. My guess is those courses have made the budget adjustments to weather this current pandemic storm.
GK FACEBOOK - Please check it out - CLICK HERE - I'm doing fun posts all the time.
 Message #97958 - This was a reply to message #97948
jamesg18015

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    N/A

Wednesday February 24, 2021 11:58 AM
I am curious to see how it will play out here in the Phoenix area this summer. Historically, summer weekdays were the least busy time of the year for most local courses, as there are few tourists/snowbirds, it is 100+ degrees starting in late morning, and most non-retired locals are at work. I'd typically see tee sheets busy until around 9-10am or so, and then completely dead for the rest of the day other than some scattered singles and twosomes.

2020 was completely different, rates went up, and a lot of courses that I frequent had completely packed tee sheets well into the afternoon on weekdays. I was paired most frequently with people suddenly "working from home", followed by a lot of laid off/furloughed airline and restaurant workers. I also played almost zero twilight golf in 2020 because the courses were just too busy to get around quickly late in the afternoon, whereas pre-2020 I could count on flying around in 2 hours and only seeing a few other singles.

With people getting back to work, and in some cases back to offices, I am thinking those summer weekdays won't be as busy this year.
 Message #97960 - This was a reply to message #97948
sammy3

Favorite Golfer:
    Tommy Bolt
Favorite Golf Course:
    Pebble

Friday February 26, 2021 11:48 AM
In my opinion tee time prices have saved me money. Played Eagle Glen at least 2 times a month and between the green fees and lunch afterwards we would spend about $60 each but with the rate going up, price increases at the Grille we would be spending a minimum of $25 more. On a fixed budget, can’t afford anymore so we just leave after golf. So now we spend $45 instead of $60. It’s like getting a free round every 3 weeks. Only down side is course is losing $20 a man.
 Message #97982 - This was a reply to message #97956
sparky14
GK Event: Played in a GK Event GKGC BIRDIE: GKGC Birdie Supporter SCGA GK Golf Club: Member

Favorite Golfer:
    Ben Crenshaw
Favorite Golf Course:
    All except Shorecliffs

Friday February 26, 2021 12:15 PM
I am looking forward to being able to take the pin out to putt again.
 Message #97983 - This was a reply to message #97948
weber

Favorite Golfer:
    Phil/Jordan
Favorite Golf Course:
    tournament Club of Iowa

Friday February 26, 2021 1:53 PM
I also look forward to taking the pin out again. I miss raking the bunkers ! I hate seeing 4 carts with individual drivers. Waiting for people to return to work so the courses are not packed all the time with people "working from home". I want courses to once again allow "walk up" players. Mostly, like everything else in life, I just want golf to return to normal. (Masks, restrictions in/around the pro shop area, closed practice areas, rakes, ball washers, accepting cash and on & on)
 Message #97984 - This was a reply to message #97983
noeldaof

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    N/A

Friday February 26, 2021 3:05 PM
Yep. What he said above.
Thank you.
JVGA
 Message #97985 - This was a reply to message #97984
RDDenn

GK Event: Played in a GK Event

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    Barona Creek

Friday February 26, 2021 3:12 PM
QUOTED  I also look forward to taking the pin out again.

I like leaving the pin in now even though it has knocked my ball out a couple of times. On Sunday, though, in a tournament the shadow of the flag was directly on my ball and flapping strongly in the wind. I really wanted to take out the pin that time.
 Message #97986 - This was a reply to message #97984
Rat-Patrol
GK Event: Played in a GK Event Birdie Chain: Stake Holder BCB Birdie Chain

Favorite Golfer:
    My Grandpa was
Favorite Golf Course:
    Balboa Park GC

Friday February 26, 2021 7:19 PM
Things won’t go back to the way they were, never do, time moves on. Business models have changed and will continue to. Less air travel, less conventions, less meetings, less business expenses. More people working from home is the new way. Courses crowded, surf is crowded, the slopes are crowded. Get use to it . . . but that too won’t last forever either, nothing does.
 Message #97987 - This was a reply to message #97984

Listing 1 to 10 of 14 Replies

PAGES: 2 1 2

[ Community Page ]