Rams Hill - History
YOUR SETTINGSLIST FORUMSLIST TOPICSSEARCH

TOPIC: Rams Hill - History

PRINT TOPICSEND THIS TO A FRIEND

Listing 1 to 9 of 9 Replies

PAGES: 1
sparky14
Rams Hill - History
GK Event: Played in a GK Event GKGC BIRDIE: GKGC Birdie Supporter SCGA GK Golf Club: Member GK Guru: GK Gurus Review Writers

Favorite Golfer:
    Ben Crenshaw
Favorite Golf Course:
    All except Shorecliffs

RPGC MAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Friday June 11, 2021 2:29 PM
One of my first GK outings was at Rams Hill, and it gave me a fascination with the place. Every time I get to #18, I look out over the defunct 9 out there and wonder what it was like way back when.

I consulted the google, and found out some interesting things that you may already know. If any other GKers love the place like I do, you might find it interesting as well. Hopefully those of you more knowledgeable can add in here (and correct my errors - as I am making some assumptions based on some drawings and articles).

Originally it was Rams Hill Country Club built in 1982-83. Ted Robinson designed it for 27 holes, although only 18 were initially constructed. Strangely enough, the original design of 27 holes was routed in the shape of a Rams head. Note that the "Rams Head" view is South Up.

The original front 9 is actually the abandoned 9 you can see from the current #18. The second nine actually ran backwards from the current course. #10 and #11 were par 4s running away from the clubhouse where the current 18-15 go. #12 ran backwards where 14 is now. #13 was a par 3 reverse of current #9. #14-#18 then ran backwards on the land that is now #1-#4.

Somewhere around 2000, the other 9 was developed. This is the "rams head" part. This 3rd nine had no link to the clubhouse, so there must have been a main 18 (where the current course is) and another 9 (the old front 9)

http://www.mcarronwebdesign.com/rhcaonline/owners/Archives/Maps/RH_Relief_Map.htm

[[Edited by sparky14 on Friday June 11, 2021 2:58 PM]]
 Message #99205
sparky14
RE: Rams Hill - History
GK Event: Played in a GK Event GKGC BIRDIE: GKGC Birdie Supporter SCGA GK Golf Club: Member GK Guru: GK Gurus Review Writers

Favorite Golfer:
    Ben Crenshaw
Favorite Golf Course:
    All except Shorecliffs

Friday June 11, 2021 2:37 PM
Rams Hill CC went bankrupt twice. A new investor group bought the course with ambitious plans to build 500-1000 homes in the area. Their original plan was to add 9 more to make 36 holes. First step was to redesign 18 holes and get it going.

Tom Fazio did the redesign. And it was a complete redesign, new everything, generally going backwards from the Robinson routing of 10-27.

The new course opened in 2007 as the Montesoro Golf and Social Club. Unfortunately, by 2009 only 15 homes had sold. The course again closed in 2010. Yet another ownership change - and then the current Rams Hill opened in 2014.

The original Fazio layout was still a bit different. #1 went left, and there was a Par 3 between current #1 and #2. #11-#14 were actually a reverse loop of the current #10-#13. #15 was a much longer version of current #14. And the last 4 holes were completely different using the land vacated when #1 was routed to the right.

http://www.mcarronwebdesign.com/rhcaonline/owners/Archives/images/NewCourseView.htm

[[Edited by sparky14 on Friday June 11, 2021 2:59 PM]]

[[Edited by JohnnyGK on Friday June 11, 2021 3:26 PM]]
 Message #99206 - This was a reply to message #99205
sparky14

Favorite Golfer:
    Ben Crenshaw
Favorite Golf Course:
    All except Shorecliffs

Friday June 11, 2021 2:49 PM
Here's a 1983 story from FORE magazine on the original 18
http://www.mcarronwebdesign.com/rhcaonline/owners/Archives/Media_Coverage/1983-Fall-Fore.pdf

[[Edited by sparky14 on Friday June 11, 2021 2:50 PM]]

[[Edited by JohnnyGK on Friday June 11, 2021 3:25 PM]]
 Message #99207 - This was a reply to message #99206
sparky14

Favorite Golfer:
    Ben Crenshaw
Favorite Golf Course:
    All except Shorecliffs

Friday June 11, 2021 3:31 PM
LOL, thanks Johnny!
 Message #99208 - This was a reply to message #99207
JohnnyGK

JohnnyGK

GK Event: Played in a GK Event GKGC EAGLE: GKGC Eagle Supporter Birdie Chain: Stake Holder BCB Birdie Chain SCGA GK Golf Club: Member GK Guru: GK Gurus Review Writers GK Cup Player: If you played in a GK Cup win or lose - you are acknowledged and appreciated!

Favorite Golfer:
    GK'ers
Favorite Golf Course:
    Pebble Beach Golf Links

Friday June 11, 2021 3:49 PM
QUOTED  LOL, thanks Johnny!

No Problem! - Thanks for this interesting post Steve!
GK FACEBOOK - Please check it out - CLICK HERE - I'm doing fun posts all the time.
 Message #99209 - This was a reply to message #99208
ajanthony

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    N/A

RPGC MAIL USER ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Monday July 26, 2021 2:42 PM
Cool history.
Goal is to go out and play 36 when they open back up in the fall.
Hopefully my game is worthy of it by then
 Message #99542 - This was a reply to message #99205
noeldaof
GK Event: Played in a GK Event GKGC Par: GKGC Par Supporter GK Guru: GK Gurus Review Writers

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    N/A

RPGC MAIL USER ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Tuesday October 26, 2021 5:00 PM
Nice, Sparky!

I've had many chances to visit but things hasn't worked out. One of these days, I hope to play it, too.
JVGA
 Message #100560 - This was a reply to message #99205
Nickesquire
GK Event: Played in a GK Event SCGA GK Golf Club: Member GKGC EAGLE: GKGC Eagle Supporter GK Guru: GK Gurus Review Writers GK Cup Player: If you played in a GK Cup win or lose - you are acknowledged and appreciated!

Favorite Golfer:
    Jack Freddie Tiger Rory
Favorite Golf Course:
    Pebble Wolf Creek Poppy

Thursday November 11, 2021 5:21 AM
Unfortunately, I never played the original course.

Rams Hill is an excellent layout. And while the playing conditions have slipped a notch the last few years from when it reopened, still a very solid course to play. However, it has to be one of the all-time head scratchers to me location wise to build a championship golf course.

Borrego Springs is just not a destination that is easily accessible. Mountains block a direct entry from the North, Mexico is to the South. Coming in from the East or the West requires long drives through the desert/mountains on roads that are not great. So getting enough people there to sustain a championship golf course would always present a challenge.

Then there is the weather, comparable to the greater Palm Springs area about 75 minutes drive around the mountains. There you have roughly 200 courses clustered together. Easily freeway and airport accessible. Restaurant, shop and housing options over 1,000 fold to Borrego Springs. So that is direct competition for people looking to get away for a weekend or mini vacation. Unless you really just desire the solitude, tough to compete with the sheer number of those options. And the heat makes for a short golf season. Same would apply competition/choices wise if you are talking about the closest major metropolitan areas (Phoenix/Tucson) coming by land from the East. Just not going to draw many people from the East, too far away from major population centers.

So that leaves you trying to draw people from San Diego, the O.C., L.A. etc. And while I can see SOME wanting to come out to Borrego Springs for a few days, tough sell to get enough to buy in to make Rams Hill a profitable destination course. Because it would be extremely difficult to bring in hundreds of golfers a week, week after week on day trips just to play Rams Hill.

There is a reason previous courses there went belly up. I congratulate Rams Hill for coming up with a business plan that has allowed the current course to survive their initial 5+ years.
The goal has always been long and straight! But since I can no longer hit them long, hopefully straighter could be achieved more than occasionally?
 Message #100719 - This was a reply to message #100560
Briggslaw
SCGA GK Golf Club: Member GKGC BIRDIE: GKGC Birdie Supporter

Favorite Golfer:
    Mark O’Meara
Favorite Golf Course:
    Mission Hills Gary Player

Thursday November 11, 2021 10:39 PM
I too have a fascination for the “lost nine” at Rams Hill. Part of the history not mentioned here is a microcosm of SoCal history generally—water. I believe that the immediately prior iteration of the course closed because the course had no independent water supply and lost its rights at some point. I believe the new owners solved that by buying up some other land in the area that came with water rights.

Also noteworthy is the “Rams Hill Yacht Club” that features model boat racing on one of the defunct 9 water holes. Members only, I believe, must be a select group but sounds like a fun thing for locals in the know.

As for sustainability in terms of golf competition and location, well, Borrego Springs is always going to appeal to some and not others. IMHO you don’t go there just for the golf, but for the “dark sky” community stargazing (mind blowing for city folks) and for the peace and solitude of a genuine desert small town. There are other golf options there, and although one of those other courses has closed in recent years, there clearly are a fair number of golfers out there locally or visiting. The desert sculptures are amazing. There are several good food options. The locals are delightfully friendly and appreciative of your visit. Most of the Rams Hill homesites are sold, and the club owns some for golf outings. The drive is not easy—but the scenery on the way, not matter whence you came, is unique and to some, at least, breathtaking. It is a world unto itself and my two trips there said sustainability is not an issue at all.

I am hoping to get a tour of the defunct 9 on my next trip. I first visited the course last spring and I feel drawn there like Richard Dreyfus was drawn to Devils Mountain in Close Encounters, just not for the same reason (I hope). The place is really unique and I do love the history of the course and the town.
 Message #100728 - This was a reply to message #99205

Listing 1 to 9 of 9 Replies

PAGES: 1

[ Community Page ]