Course Design
YOUR SETTINGSLIST FORUMSLIST TOPICSSEARCH

TOPIC: Course Design

PRINT TOPICSEND THIS TO A FRIEND

Listing 1 to 9 of 9 Replies

PAGES: 1
rudyclub
Course Design
GK Event: Played in a GK Event GKGC BIRDIE: GKGC Birdie Supporter Birdie Chain: Stake Holder BCB Birdie Chain

Favorite Golfer:
    Phil, Ricky, Kucher
Favorite Golf Course:
    Desert willow, Journey

RPGC MAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Saturday October 10, 2020 10:34 AM
Was recently looking at the new course layout via fly over of San Vicente GC. Noticed some added bunkering and new green locations. Specifically #3. New bunkering has been added next to lake. This will stop many balls from going in the water, but will also now require you to make a decision. Fly the 100 yrds over the water out of a bunker to a new green, that is now next to water? Or, pitch out sideways. Essiantly the same as a one stroke penalty. I love this kind of decision making in designs. A course that comes to mind with many of these type of decisions is Shadow Ridge in Palm Desert. Either take on the trouble off the tee and make the approach a little easier or lessen the tee shot trouble and make the approach harder. Of course if you have Dechambo ability to just bomb over everything then it really doesn't matter. I really enjoy getting to know a course layout and playing the puzzle that the designer saw. So.. do you prefer the bomb and gouge approach or the plan & place game?
 Message #96581
Itslikeimsayin
RE: Course Design
GK Event: Played in a GK Event GKGC BIRDIE: GKGC Birdie Supporter

Favorite Golfer:
    Phil Mickelson
Favorite Golf Course:
    DragonRidge CC

Saturday October 10, 2020 5:17 PM
Anytime you give the player options, you make the design more interesting, imo.

P.S. I watched a bunch of those flyover videos after you mentioned them earlier today. I don't see any real dramatic changes but sounds good overall. On their site it says something about emphasizing the ground game more, but that aspect wasn't very evident to me from the drone videos. Hopefully it's true! I've only played it twice -- both in the same day -- but look forward to seeing it when it reopens.
 Message #96587 - This was a reply to message #96581
JohnnyGK

JohnnyGK

GK Event: Played in a GK Event GKGC EAGLE: GKGC Eagle Supporter Birdie Chain: Stake Holder BCB Birdie Chain SCGA GK Golf Club: Member

Favorite Golfer:
    GK'ers
Favorite Golf Course:
    Pebble Beach Golf Links

Tuesday October 13, 2020 8:07 PM
Just found out:

The Board of Directors is voting on Oct.27 to determine a date to re-open.

They are not re-opening Nov. 1.

Plans for re-opening are TBD.
GK FACEBOOK - Please check it out - CLICK HERE - I'm doing fun posts all the time.
 Message #96637 - This was a reply to message #96587
roarksown1
GK Event: Played in a GK Event Birdie Chain: Stake Holder BCB Birdie Chain GKGC Par: GKGC Par Supporter

Favorite Golfer:
    Ty Webb
Favorite Golf Course:
    Bighorn Golf Club

Wednesday October 14, 2020 5:19 AM
Depends on how my game feels that day. If I know I’m making good contact that day with accuracy, I will take more chances. If my shots are feeling loose or just ‘off,’ I’ll likely play it safer to try and avoid the big scores.
 Message #96638 - This was a reply to message #96637
zachary

GK Event: Played in a GK Event

Favorite Golfer:
    Paul Goydos
Favorite Golf Course:
    Industry Hills

Wednesday October 14, 2020 6:50 PM
So is 220 off the tee and then laying sod with my 4 iron from 180 “bomb and gouge”. That’s my game
 Message #96641 - This was a reply to message #96638
divotnjay
SCGA GK Golf Club: Member

Favorite Golfer:
    Jack Nicklaus
Favorite Golf Course:
    Torrey Pines South

Friday October 16, 2020 10:00 AM
That flyover side by side comparison is so awesome to watch, I've seen it a couple of times now. I absolutely love San Vicente. They have a great stay and play package, it's so cool to wake up and open your slider door on number 10 tee. The food is great and it's an easy drive to gamble at Barona. Plus, I think the course is fantastic. Can't wait to get back out there.
 Message #96647 - This was a reply to message #96641
Nickesquire
GK Event: Played in a GK Event SCGA GK Golf Club: Member GKGC EAGLE: GKGC Eagle Supporter

Favorite Golfer:
    Jack-Freddie-Tiger-Rory
Favorite Golf Course:
    Pebble Poppy Maderas

Friday October 16, 2020 10:20 AM
QUOTED  So.. do you prefer the bomb and gouge approach or the plan & place game?

Both have a definite place in golf and can both be fun. But my inclination and mindset lead to the bomb and gouge approach much more often if I have a viable option both ways.

Agree with Mark, options are great. Awesome where 2 guys in the same group can play the hole completely differently and still make par or even birdie if they really execute their preferred plan well.

Tim, your analysis on bunkers "saving you" beside a lake is spot on... it may just be "saving you" from a penalty this shot all so you can add one next shot?

Most evil bunker right beside a lake I have ever seen is a hole on Camas Meadows in Vancouver, WA. Think it was #9? but maybe #18?, not sure. But I know it was a par 5 with a lake right in front of the green playing toward the clubhouse finishing a side.

Hit an okay drive but had too far of a carry to safely clear the lake with trouble all around, so laid up. Hit my layup shot a little too well and it trickled into a bunker just short of the lake guarding the front of the green. This left me with about a 50 yard sand shot over the lake where if I carried it approximately 43 or less I was wet... but if I carried it much more than 60 I was potentially OB over the green. And other than playing backward, you basically had to go for it. Who practices or feels comfortable with 50 yard sand shots with penalty areas short and long of your target?

I went for it and hit it long but still in play over the green if I remember correctly. But it was questionable while the shot was in the air before the rough caught it whether I would be playing again from the bunker after a stroke and distance penalty was assessed for going OB.

I remember the slope was over 140 from the Blue tees on that course, and for good reason. The slope from the tips was over 145 if I remember correctly, and the course was not super long, just tight and tough. Other thing I remember about that course was that I was taking photo's to post on GK and lost my camera somewhere between 18 green and my house. Checked back with the course multiple times, never showed up. 18 holes worth of nice Camas Meadows photos on the SIM card for whoever found and kept my camera.
The goal has always been long and straight! But since I can no longer hit them long, hopefully straighter could be achieved more than occasionally?
 Message #96648 - This was a reply to message #96581
rudyclub
GK Event: Played in a GK Event GKGC BIRDIE: GKGC Birdie Supporter Birdie Chain: Stake Holder BCB Birdie Chain

Favorite Golfer:
    Phil, Ricky, Kucher
Favorite Golf Course:
    Desert willow, Journey

Friday October 16, 2020 4:36 PM
Congrats Itslikeimsayin on winning the Crossings photo contest.
 Message #96653 - This was a reply to message #96648
Itslikeimsayin
GK Event: Played in a GK Event GKGC BIRDIE: GKGC Birdie Supporter

Favorite Golfer:
    Phil Mickelson
Favorite Golf Course:
    DragonRidge CC

Friday October 16, 2020 10:24 PM
Thank you! I won a free round M-Th.!

Funny part is I didn't even realize they do a photo contest. I posted that shot because their management company, JC Golf, is having a month-long photo contest of their own.
 Message #96656 - This was a reply to message #96653

Listing 1 to 9 of 9 Replies

PAGES: 1

[ Community Page ]