Discussions in What d'you shoot (GK Cyber Clubhouse)
Moderated By CPennbo, JohnnyGK, kviser, Paisano, thingstodo

Forums
Greenskeeper.org
What d'you shoot (GK Cyber Clubhouse)
What d'you shoot December-2019 (GK Cyber Clubho...
YOUR SETTINGSLIST FORUMSLIST TOPICSSEARCH

TOPIC: What d'you shoot December-2019 (GK Cyber Clubhouse)

PRINT TOPICSEND THIS TO A FRIEND

Listing 11 to 15 of 15 Replies

PAGES: 2 1 2
JohnnyGK
RE: What d'you shoot December-2019 (GK Cyber Clubhouse)

JohnnyGK

GK Event: Played in a GK Event

Favorite Golfer:
    GK'ers
Favorite Golf Course:
    Pebble Beach Golf Links

RPGC MAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Monday December 16, 2019 5:47 PM
Been playing a lot golf lately!

Started off at Rams Hill GK Plays. Decided to keep score for this round. Landed a birdie on hole #4 and finished up the front nine with a 40 from the blue tees. Started off the back nine solid with Par on hole #10. Bogey on #11 after penalty. Then we turned into the wind and my game went south. Finished with 45 on the back nine for an 85.

Next day decided not to keep score and take all of fabulous Indian Wells Golf Resort Celebrity Course in. Watching GDR23 bomb drives and rgm2525 roll in birdies. Ron made very impressive back-to-back birdies on holes 8 & 9. Then a funny thing happened, lob wedge started to feel like butter. Just missed getting up and down from the bunker on 10. Got in trouble off the tee on 11. Then drove the green on 12 for a two putt birdie! - Finally the birdie chain. Just missed back-to-back birdies on 13. Irons tanked. Bogeyed 14 - 18.

Final round of the day. Desert Willow Golf Resort Firecliff Course. Irons still not in sync nor the driver. I find the heavy rough on 1, chunk the shot, find the heavy rough on 2, slightly open the club face and pure it ... left. Push iron right on hole #3 and bogey. Crush a drive on #4 but thin a shot over the green. 4 straight bogeys to start the round. Then magic happens, push a drive on 5 into the heavy rough, slightly open the club face, aim a little more right, pure an 8 iron into the hole for EAGLE!!! - at that point the rest of the round was gravy. Played decent the rest of the way hitting beautiful pitch shots and almost holed out for another eagle on hole #16.

Played Friday at Riverwalk in San Diego for a GK Guru round. Putter was feeling good. Pitching feeling good. Driver and Irons so so. Made back to back birdies on hole 2 and 3. Was thinking the birdie chain record for me might be going down that day (4), nope skunked the rest of the round.

Driving home in traffic, hoping to make the Goat Hill Park 9-Hole MGF Skins Game. I get there just in time. With a suspect iron game I struggle but beautiful short game was saving me. Lob wedge pitching was on. Came to the last hole, #9, almost dark, same hole Geoff Ogilvy slam dunked aced two weeks in a playoff, was feeling that good energy, thinned a wedge over the green and then hit my best pitch shot of the year, holed out from a downhill lie in the rough for birdie! - Lob Wedge is the man right now.
GK FACEBOOK - Please check it out - CLICK HERE - I'm doing fun posts all the time.
 Message #93004 - This was a reply to message #92809
Alex326

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    Pebble Beach

Saturday December 28, 2019 7:08 AM
I started December with a solid round 80 at Indian Wells Celebrity, and finished off the month with a fantastic 84 at Pebble Beach. Was hard not to think about a "good score" after being 1 over through 5 holes. A three putt bogey on 7 (got waaaay too aggressive with the birdie putt) was the only three putt. In hindsight the back to back double bogeys on 8 & 9 helped settle me down as the thought of a sub 80 round was now unrealistic. Had pars on 5 of the next 7 holes. Tree trouble on 18 led to a final double bogey but still a fun filled fantastic day where all clubs except the 3 wood were working great.

Easily a top 5 round if not a top 3!
 Message #93056 - This was a reply to message #93004
mpisarski01

Favorite Golfer:
    John Daly
Favorite Golf Course:
    Grizzly Ranch

Sunday December 29, 2019 9:00 PM
Capped off my 2019 with my 42nd round played this year. Although lower than I had hoped I am pleased with that amount because I had almost a two month injury in aug/sep.

I called club corp on Thursday and they got me a time at mission hills Palmer at 12:30pm on Sat. I called the course the morning of and they fit me in on the Dye course at 11:00 instead. Having never played this course I was expecting a typical diabolical Pete Dye experience and I was not disappointed.

I fired off a ridiculous 49 on the front nine having made no pars and lost 3 balls. However my putting was fine with a total of 15 putts ¯\_(?)_/¯. On the back nine I started with a double and there was little hope left in my game. Then I made two pars after good drives kept me in the hole. Followed that with another double and all confidence was gone. Maybe that is what I needed because I then birdied both par 5's and made a nice 30ft par. I splashed my tee shot on the par 3 17th and made a 5. It all came down to 18 I needed par for 89. I bombed my drive down the middle and my approach was about 79 yards out to a tucked pin. I pulled just a touch and the ball bounced like it hit the bulkhead. I though I was doomed but the ball landed on the only sliver of grass that could stop a ball from the water. I chop it out of the rough and two putt for a 90.

Having started so bad I am pleased with the 90 especially with 28 putts on the day. Now I just need to learn how to not lose 5 balls to the water gods.

I cant wait to see what happens in 2020 and all of the courses I will play. Of course my first round is booked back here at the same course on new years day. Lets hope for a better result.

Happy New Years Everyone!!!!!

[[Edited by mpisarski01 on Monday December 30, 2019 8:39 AM]]
 Message #93061 - This was a reply to message #92809
roarksown1

Favorite Golfer:
    Whoever's with me playing
Favorite Golf Course:
    Bighorn Golf Club

Monday December 30, 2019 9:38 AM
My driver has finally returned to the playing field so it's been so much more fun being able to step up to the tee with confidence on each and every long hole wherever I've been playing. It had gotten so bad that I gave up my 64 wedge in order to incorporate a new 2 iron (which I still love), but now, after a small positioning adjustment moving closer to the ball at address, I've been hitting up to 75% of fairways in some rounds, but not dipping below 50% overall, which is great news.

Unfortunately my chipping and putting has been a bit of a letdown of late with some much focus on the big dog, so scores overall, while better, have not been as good as they should be. Back to the range now to work on those aspects. As for this super fun big weekend of golf, played Moorpark (Creek and Ridge), Wilson and Knollwood, shooting 99, 87 and 93, respectively.

Moorpark is a beast of a course and punishes anything remotely 'off.' I was pretty happy to keep it under 100 after some blowup holes rife with penalties for going OB, but played the majority of holes pretty safely and well, and also hit a lot of fairways despite the long carries and narrow options off the tee. Wilson felt great for most of the day and would have shot a much better score if my putting did not let me down. Same story on Sunday at Knollwood with a horror start of triple-triple-triple-double and three 3-putts, but then cleaned it up a bit for the rest of the round, going 10-over the last 14 holes.

After some atrocious months and scores, it's nice to finally feel like I'm playing better and getting confidence back. I feel like the start of the new year is going to bring some good scores and help to lower that handicap with the goal being single digits by the big 5-0 birthday next December. That's always been the goal!
 Message #93062 - This was a reply to message #93061
Deepsea14

Favorite Golfer:
    Dad and his Dad
Favorite Golf Course:
    The one I'm playing

Tuesday December 31, 2019 9:00 AM
QUOTED  but now, after a small positioning adjustment moving closer to the ball at address,

That's key to better ball striking imo. Arms hanging naturally and closer to the body. It's a set-up you can imitate from watching the pros regardless of your index. A common error for me standing too far away with arms out too far with the big dog (#1) flailing trying to hunt fairways.

Highlights for my 2019 included playing in my first two GK plays events (Ridge Creek / Corica Park). Qualifying for Sr. Net Championship at Poppy Hills. A W in the GK Cup 1st round. Finally a December trip to Las Vegas. Played 7 new courses. 59 rounds played to match my age.

12/31/19 brings a close to my 4th decade of dedicated play to this crazy game. I know the next will bring introducing my grandchildren to the game at some point. Playing more new to me venues. Volunteering at some pro events. Otherwise keep on striving to score and just keep it fun!

It's early and sunny, maybe one more round today. Happy New Year!
 Message #93071 - This was a reply to message #93062

Listing 11 to 15 of 15 Replies

PAGES: 2 1 2

[ Community Page ]