Provisional ball question
GK Event: Played in a GK Event

Favorite Golfer:
    Whoever's with me playing
Favorite Golf Course:
    Bighorn

RPGC MAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Sunday July 16, 2017 10:02 AM
Okay, so Kassper7, Mattias and I were playing this weekend and the Swede hits a long drive that drifts right and looks like it may or may not be over the boundary fence or behind (or in) some massive bush. 'Play a provisional just in case,' we say. Mattias tops the provisional badly and it rolls straight but just like 20 yards ahead into the rough ahead of the fairway. So here's the question.

Do you simply keep playing the provisional until you get to the point where you either find or don't find the original tee shot? If you keep playing the provisional due to the distance between shots does it automatically become the ball in play? What happens if you hit the provisional again and hit the shot of your life 275 into the hole, but then find your original ball? Any insights greatly appreciated!
 Message #84846
lotrgolfer48
RE: Provisional ball question

GK Cup: Past & Current Champions of The GK Cup GK Event: Played in a GK Event

Favorite Golfer:
    Jordan Spieth
Favorite Golf Course:
    Chambers Bay, Yocha De-He

Sunday July 16, 2017 10:28 AM
Short version, you can play a provisional up until you reach the area of your original shot. If the original ball is found, the provisional ball must be abandoned.

Rule 27-2(b)
b. When Provisional Ball Becomes Ball in Play
The player may play a provisional ball until he reaches the place where the original ball is likely to be. If he makes a stroke with the provisional ball from the place where the original ball is likely to be or from a point nearer the hole than that place, the original ball is lost and the provisional ball becomes the ball in play under penalty of stroke and distance (Rule 27-1).

Rule 27-2(c)
c. When Provisional Ball to be Abandoned
If the original ball is neither lost nor out of bounds, the player must abandon the provisional ball and continue playing the original ball.
 Message #84847 - This was a reply to message #84846
roarksown1

Favorite Golfer:
Favorite Golf Course:
    Bighorn

Sunday July 16, 2017 10:39 AM
Awesome! Thanks Matt!
 Message #84848 - This was a reply to message #84847
sixpez
SoCal Community Staff

sixpez: sixpez - Golf Normad GK Event: Played in a GK Event GK Cup: Past & Current Champions of The GK Cup

Favorite Golfer:
    Tend to root for Phil
Favorite Golf Course:
    Mt. Shasta Resort

Sunday July 16, 2017 3:11 PM
What he said.
 Message #84852 - This was a reply to message #84848
dconnally

GK Event: Played in a GK Event GK Cup: Past & Current Champions of The GK Cup

Favorite Golfer:
    Arnie
Favorite Golf Course:
    Oak Quarry; Tobiano

Sunday July 16, 2017 6:18 PM
And if you do hit the miracle shot with the 2nd ball, declare the first one lost and get to the next tee!!
Remember, we could be at work!!
 Message #84853 - This was a reply to message #84852
CPennbo

Community Director/Women

Favorite Golfer:
    Annika/Mickelson
Favorite Golf Course:
    Balboa

Sunday July 16, 2017 9:05 PM
QUOTED  Rule 27-2(c)
c. When Provisional Ball to be Abandoned
If the original ball is neither lost nor out of bounds, the player must abandon the provisional ball and continue playing the original ball.

QUOTED  [Posted By dconnally on 07.16.2017 6:18 PM]
And if you do hit the miracle shot with the 2nd ball, declare the first one lost and get to the next tee!!

Pretty clear that if you do that you aren't playing by the rules. Not that many of us haven't or won't do it but it's good to know what counts in tournament play, right?
New Year's Resolution- HAVE MORE FUN, DO MORE, SEE MORE, LAUGH MORE!
 Message #84857 - This was a reply to message #84853
sngernz

Favorite Golfer:
    Bubba!
Favorite Golf Course:
    Spyglass Hill

Monday July 17, 2017 12:07 PM
QUOTED  Pretty clear that if you do that you aren't playing by the rules. Not that many of us haven't or won't do it but it's good to know what counts in tournament play, right?

I don't think so, Chris. I Couldn't find anything in the Rules or Decisions that says you must search for your original ball. Now, if someone else finds it then that's a different story (see Decision 27-2c/2). dconnally might be on to something here.
 Message #84864 - This was a reply to message #84857
roarksown1

Favorite Golfer:
Favorite Golf Course:
    Bighorn

Monday July 17, 2017 1:02 PM
QUOTED  I don't think so, Chris. I Couldn't find anything in the Rules or Decisions that says you must search for your original ball. Now, if someone else finds it then that's a different story (see Decision 27-2c/2). dconnally might be on to something here.

I suppose it all boils down to how hard you really want to look if your provisional follow-up was a stunner. You could always just look back at the group on the tee behind you and not want to slow them down ... I mean, it's as good an excuse as any. But of course, proper etiquette (I assume) would at least mandate a hearty search for the original ball for at least a few minutes.

[[Edited by roarksown1 on Monday July 17, 2017 1:02 PM]]
 Message #84865 - This was a reply to message #84864
3-4bravo

Favorite Golfer:
    Tiger Woods
Favorite Golf Course:
    Hunter Ranch

Monday July 17, 2017 1:36 PM
QUOTED  I suppose it all boils down to how hard you really want to look if your provisional follow-up was a stunner. You could always just look back at the group on the tee behind you and not want to slow them down ... I mean, it's as good an excuse as any. But of course, proper etiquette (I assume) would at least mandate a hearty search for the original ball for at least a few minutes.

I was playing in the Paso City Championship at Hunter Ranch last year and on the par 3 14th I sprayed my first tee shot left into the abyss. I hit a provisional to about 3" and my playing partner told me that I still have to make an attempt to find my first ball before tapping in my provisional for a bogey. I ended up finding my first ball, so the provisional had to be abandoned.

My partner was pretty spot on with the rule book, and he told me that had I knocked in my second tee shot, the first ball HAS to be abandoned and you must take the provisional score since technically the hole has ended.
 Message #84867 - This was a reply to message #84865
Itslikeimsayin

Favorite Golfer:
    Phil Mickelson
Favorite Golf Course:
    DragonRidge CC

Monday July 17, 2017 3:10 PM
QUOTED  My partner was pretty spot on with the rule book, and he told me that had I knocked in my second tee shot, the first ball HAS to be abandoned and you must take the provisional score since technically the hole has ended.

I seriously doubt this is accurate. It's still "provisional" until your original ball is deemed lost/OB. If it is true, you may as well hit a provisional after every shot in the hopes of holing it.

Your friend might be conflating the case of a ball that wasn't seen, so someone plays a provisional until they hole out, only to find their original ball in the hole. In that case, the provisional ball never counted because the original ball was holed and the hole was complete.
 Message #84870 - This was a reply to message #84867

Listing 1 to 10 of 21 Replies

PAGES: 3 1 2 3

[ Community Page ]