Click To View Golf Course Page

Discussions in GK Cup Match Play
Moderated By dconnally, JohnnyGK, Nickesquire, ringworld

Forums
Greenskeeper.org
GK Cup Match Play
GK Cup 9 Final - Kassper7 - Wins!
YOUR SETTINGSLIST FORUMSLIST TOPICSSEARCH

TOPIC: GK Cup 9 Final - Kassper7 - Wins!

PRINT TOPICSEND THIS TO A FRIEND

Listing 1 to 10 of 18 Replies

PAGES: 2 1 2
JohnnyGK
GK Cup 9 Final - Kassper7 - Wins!

JohnnyGK

GK Event: Played in a GK Event

Favorite Golfer:
    GK'ers
Favorite Golf Course:
    Cascata

RPGC MAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Sunday June 18, 2017 9:32 PM
Congratulations Perry! - kassper7 - as GK Cup 9 Champion!

Full recap coming with photos and video.

kassper7 defeated sixpez 6 & 5 at River Ridge Golf Club (Victoria Lakes) on Sunday, June 18th, 2017

Videos

Nickesquire Saves Kassper7 Golf Club

The Moment Kassper7 Won GK Cup 9

GK Cup 9 Victory Ceremony

[[Edited by JohnnyGK on Monday June 19, 2017 10:03 PM]]
GK is now on FACEBOOK! CLICK HERE and become a fan!
 Message #84269
Nickesquire
RE: GK Cup 9 Final - Kassper7 - Wins!

Favorite Golfer:
    Jack, Freddie, Tiger
Favorite Golf Course:
    Olivas Nicklaus T Maderas

Sunday June 18, 2017 11:24 PM
GK Cup 9 final held @ River Ridge Lakes, 1 pm Sunday June 18, 2017.

Kassper7 (Perry) v. Sixpex (Keith)

Keith was spotting Perry 5 strokes, both players played the White Tees (6304/70.3/126). We played just after the Oxnard City Championship, RR had out their tournament pins. The on course sign said the greens were running at 13' 10" on the Stimp, so they were quick.

* Stroke holes

Hole 1 * Both players hit decent drives but barely off the fairway. Both players miss the green, both chip on. Perry lags a long par putt up close and makes bogey. Keith barely misses a much more make able par putt. Both make 5, Perry wins the hole with the stroke. Kassper7 1 up.

Hole 2 * Keith in the fairway, Perry just off the fairway but much longer. Both miss the green and chip on, Keith much closer. Perry makes a great 2 putt from probably 70'. His 2nd putt was about 6' with 18" of left to right break that died dead center. Keith again barely misses a makeable par putt. Both make 5, Perry wins the hole with the stroke. Kassper7 2 up.

Hole 3 Both hit good drives in the fairway. Perry's 2nd in a green side trap, Keith just short. Perry decent sand shot that takes the slope and goes 45' by the hole. Keith mediocre chip but on the right level. Perry good lag putt to 4', Keith lags up to tap in range. Perry makes the 4' bogey putt to halve the hole. Kassper7 2 up.

Hole 4 Both miss the fairway but Perry much farther toward the hole on the elevated dogleg left par 5. Perry over in 3, Keith short in 3. Keith hits an uncharacteristic poor chip that misses the green, Perry chips close. Keith chips on and saved a bogey with a nice 1 putt. Perry made his par putt. Kassper7 3 up.

Hole 5 Perry's iron runs through the green up on the hill. Keith on but at least 100' away. Keith hits a good lag putt within 5'. Perry chips within 8'. Perry missed his par and tapped in for bogey. Keith charged his par putt and had to make a nice comebacker for bogey to tie the hole. Kassper7 3 up.

Hole 6 Keith in the fairway, Perry just off the fairway but much longer. Keith misses the green and chips on. Perry's iron on in 2. Both 2 putt from there. Kassper7 4 up.

Hole 7 Perry over the green, Keith short of the green much closer to the front pin. Perry poor chip long to front fringe, Keith mediocre chip on the green. Perry chips close and saves bogey, Keith missed his par putt, hole halved. Kassper7 4 up.

Hole 8 * Perry in the fairway, Keith missed the fairway. Both miss the green, Keith much closer. Both chip on, Keith much closer. Perry 3 putts from long range, Keith 2 putts. Hole halved with the stroke. Kassper7 4 up.

Hole 9 Keith in the fairway, Perry just off the fairway but much longer. Both advance the ball and miss the green in 3. Both dump their 4th shots into greenside bunkers. Both on the green in 5, both miss bogey putts, both make double. Kassper7 4 up.

I had Perry at 45 and Keith at 46 on the front. The stroke holes made a HUGE difference.

On to the back...

Hole 10 Keith in the fairway, Perry just off the fairway but much longer. Keith's approach shot goes into the lake. Perry plays conservative and goes around the lake pin high well right. In doing so, his wedge broke, with the head flying into the lake. Keith chips over the lake but is short of the green, then stubs a chip. Perry hits what looks to be a good chip that took the slope and almost rolled into the lake. He chips back on in 4 and taps in for 5. Keith then runs in a 20' putt from the fringe for a 6. Kassper7 5 up.

Hole 11 Both miss the green, Perry well right, Keith on the fringe but on the wrong side of a hill from the hole. Perry decent chip but misses his par, tap in bogey. Keith hits a good looking birdie attempt that runs about 6' by the hole, then missed the comebacker for par. Hole halved with bogeys. Kassper7 5 up.

Hole 12 * Keith in the fairway, Perry misses the fairway left. Both lay up in position to go over the lake at the green in 3. Keith hits the GIR, Perry just off. Perry nice chip but misses the par putt. Keith hits a great lag for a tap in par. Hole halved with the stroke. Kassper7 5 up.

Hole 13 * Keith in the fairway, Perry misses the fairway left. Both miss the green short right. Knowing he needs to win the hole, Keith is aggressive a chip to a back pin location and goes over the green into deep stuff. Perry chips on in 3. Keith tries to hole a short sided chip but comes up short in the rough, then chips on not close and conceded the hole and the match. Perry 2 putted for bogey. Kassper7 wins 6 & 5.

Multiple keys points about this match from a spectator perspective.

1) Perry was much longer off the tee and Keith could not scramble and get it up/down for par as consistently as usual.

2) All five of the stroke holes came in the first 13 holes. They would have played even on the last 5 holes had the match still been on going.

3) On the first four stroke holes, Keith won 2 outright by a stroke and tied 2. However, with the strokes, the outcome was that Perry was +2 on those four holes. The two holes Keith won outright but halved with the stroke were the only holes he scored lower on in the match.

4) Perry kept himself out of trouble, no penalty shots and was in all 13 holes.

5) Keith had an off day with both his putting and chipping. While neither was bad by most people's standards, Keith normally is getting many of these up/down. Not today.

6) Most importantly, Perry consistently made putts in the 3' to 6' range to either win or tie holes. Keith had several putts that could have won holes catch part of the hole but not drop.

7) After the match was decided, Keith ran off a string of pars and Perry finally had a hole he would have been out of. I quit keeping a hole by hole score after the match was decided, but I would guess both shot around 90?

Congrats to Keith for setting a GK Cup record by winning 11 consecutive GK Cup matches spanning GK Cups 8 & 9.

Congrats to Perry for winning GK Cup 9! Well deserved with some clutch play today.

[[Edited by Nickesquire on Tuesday June 20, 2017 7:18 AM]]
The goal is long and straight! But on the many times I cannot seem to hit them straight, I at least want to hit them long!
 Message #84270 - This was a reply to message #84269
dconnally

GK Event: Played in a GK Event GK Cup: Past & Current Champions of The GK Cup

Favorite Golfer:
    Arnie
Favorite Golf Course:
    Oak Quarry; Tobiano

Sunday June 18, 2017 11:43 PM
Another new champ! Congratulations, and welcome to the club!

And no repeat champ for Cup 10, either!
Remember, we could be at work!!
 Message #84271 - This was a reply to message #84270
sixpez
SoCal Community Staff

sixpez: sixpez - Golf Normad GK Event: Played in a GK Event GK Cup: Past & Current Champions of The GK Cup

Favorite Golfer:
    Tend to root for Phil
Favorite Golf Course:
    Mt. Shasta Resort

Monday June 19, 2017 5:31 AM
Congratulations to Perry on the win. He earned it. As Nick said, Perry avoided trouble and played better around the greens than I did. I had a lot of close calls with par putts to try and make it somewhat competitive, but they just wouldn't drop! One of those days.

Even if I did convert a few more ups/downs like I normally do, I don't think I could have beaten him. He ended up with a final score 90. However, much of that damage came on a couple double bogeys well after the match was over. Otherwise, he was chugging along with bogeys and pars and making me do all the work to try and keep pace. He made timely putts, as well. I joked with him that he used my own approach against me! No matter what, I would have had to bring my A game to beat him and I just didn't have that in me yesterday.

Though I was very frustrated with my play, I was extremely happy for Perry when the match came to an end. It was by far the happiest I've ever seen him, and he was overflowing with pride and joy. Having experienced the same feeling last year, it was fun to watch. Congratulations buddy!
 Message #84273 - This was a reply to message #84271
sixpez
SoCal Community Staff

sixpez: sixpez - Golf Normad GK Event: Played in a GK Event GK Cup: Past & Current Champions of The GK Cup

Favorite Golfer:
    Tend to root for Phil
Favorite Golf Course:
    Mt. Shasta Resort

Monday June 19, 2017 5:34 AM
Also, thank you very much to Nick for taking on the unenviable task of running the GK Cup (and writing the detailed match breakdown) and to Johnny for everything he does in support of this great community-building tournament!
 Message #84274 - This was a reply to message #84273
abbacat

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    N/A

Monday June 19, 2017 7:29 AM
Congratulations, Perry!
 Message #84275 - This was a reply to message #84274
kassper7

Favorite Golfer:
    Michelle Wie
Favorite Golf Course:
    Oak Quarry

Monday June 19, 2017 7:49 AM
QUOTED  Another new champ! Congratulations, and welcome to the club!

And no repeat champ for Cup 10, either!

I'd like to be referred to as the "Lame Duck" GK Cup Champ - if you don't mind....
 Message #84276 - This was a reply to message #84271
kviser

SoCal Community Staff

GK Event: Played in a GK Event LA-GK-Meetup-Winner: LA GK Meetup Winner

Favorite Golfer:
    Fred Couples
Favorite Golf Course:
    River Ridge

Monday June 19, 2017 7:52 AM
Congratulations to kassper7!

In my match with Perry, I found him to be very skilled with making some up and downs from difficult positions around the greens. A long hitter with a good short game.
QUOTED  Also, thank you very much to Nick for taking on the unenviable task of running the GK Cup (and writing the detailed match breakdown) and to Johnny for everything he does in support of this great community-building tournament!

I have to agree. This is/has become a very popular event on GK and it's very nice to get out and play with a variety of players and courses throughout Southern CA.

[[Edited by kviser on Monday June 19, 2017 7:53 AM]]
 Message #84277 - This was a reply to message #84274
golferic420

Favorite Golfer:
    Lefty
Favorite Golf Course:
    Las Vegas Paiute

Monday June 19, 2017 8:49 AM
Congrats 'Lame Duck GK Champ', hahahaha.

As in all playoff sports, if you are going to go down, might as well go down by the guy/team that wins it all!!
 Message #84278 - This was a reply to message #84276
kassper7

Favorite Golfer:
    Michelle Wie
Favorite Golf Course:
    Oak Quarry

Monday June 19, 2017 9:07 AM
QUOTED  Also, thank you very much to Nick for taking on the unenviable task of running the GK Cup (and writing the detailed match breakdown) and to Johnny for everything he does in support of this great community-building tournament!

Nick's help to prepare me for this match as well as rescuing my broken pitching wedge from the lake on #10 (I've now seen parts of you that only your wife has seen before yesterday) more than makes up for kicking me out of GKCup10.

I was exited to meet Keith and play with him over a year ago in my first GK Plays event after doing a deep dive on his web site. He has always been great to me and playing the finals with him was a treat and an honor. I have to also thank Robert (roarksown1) for befriending me through the GK site, convincing me to sign up for my first GK Cup, and making a mess of the 18th hole at the Navy Destroyer so I could make it though the first round.

Every event I participate in sinks me farther into the GK community of like-minded people and I am always better for it!
 Message #84280 - This was a reply to message #84274

Listing 1 to 10 of 18 Replies

PAGES: 2 1 2

[ Community Page ]