JohnnyGK

GK Event: Played in a GK Event

Favorite Golfer:
    GK'ers
Favorite Golf Course:
    Cascata

RPGC MAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Friday February 8, 2019 10:49 AM
Please post ONLY GK Cup Team Match Play Results here.

[[Edited by JohnnyGK on Monday June 3, 2019 4:22 PM]]
GK FACEBOOK - Please check it out - CLICK HERE - I'm doing fun posts all the time.
 Message #90563
mpisarski01
RE: GK Cup Team Match Play Results

Favorite Golfer:
    John Daly
Favorite Golf Course:
    Grizzly Ranch

Sunday March 3, 2019 4:26 PM
Jim and Mike over Tim and Matt. 1up after 19 holes. Details to be posted later by winning team.
 Message #90758 - This was a reply to message #90563
kviser

SoCal Community Staff

GK Event: Played in a GK Event LA-GK-Meetup-Winner: LA GK Meetup Winner

Favorite Golfer:
    Fred Couples
Favorite Golf Course:
    River Ridge

Sunday March 3, 2019 8:22 PM
kviser/sngernz defeat golferic420/hammer74, 2 and 1 at Alhambra.

Details to follow, but for now I can say it was a seesaw all afternoon with no clear advantage for either team until the last two holes.

It was a wet golf course, so Stew (our resident rules guy) asked if we want to play winter rules/lift, clean, and place. Otherwise known as, "I'm always going to have a good lie, and I just might be able to improve my angle to the green."

If you haven't been to Alhambra, it's only 5466 from the black tees; we played the blues at 5290. It can be tricky and tight, but you could go low if your short game is on. Ours weren't.

[[Edited by kviser on Monday March 4, 2019 7:58 AM]]
 Message #90761 - This was a reply to message #90563
sngernz

Favorite Golfer:
    Bubba!
Favorite Golf Course:
    Spyglass Hill

Monday March 4, 2019 9:47 AM
QUOTED  If you haven't been to Alhambra, it's only 5466 from the black tees; we played the blues at 5290. It can be tricky and tight, but you could go low if your short game is on. Ours weren't.

Always look at the results, Kevin: a win is a win ... doesn't matter what you score if you can ham & egg which is uber-important in a Four-ball match. Still fun playing with Eric & Ken yesterday ... just came down to a couple of putts down the stretch.
 Message #90768 - This was a reply to message #90761
Rat-Patrol

Favorite Golfer:
    My Grandpa was
Favorite Golf Course:
    Balboa Park GC

Monday March 4, 2019 12:42 PM
Team D-Con-Patrol (with the gracious help of 140ver/Mike as stand in for David on the DL) win 1 up Pisarski-Club on first hole of sudden death.

So here's the story, from my point of view. We let Matt and Tim do all the scorekeeping and match figuring and if they said my side won I will take their word for it but I for one certainly don't feel like I "won" as I mostly played like doo-doo. I did play well enough on the right holes to help Mike out who hit two great shots on 18 to tie it up. I made par on the first hole of the playoff (#10 thanks to Mt Woodson for letting us play it out!) where I got a stroke and that was enough. I don't have the scorecard so can't give a blow by blow from memory (as most of my energy was going into just trying to make decent contact and send the ball in the intended direction). It felt like Tim and Matt played a bit more consistent than Mike and myself, but we ham and egged it enough to eek out the "W" . . . ah the beauty of Match play, my six doubles and two triples didn't hurt us that bad.
It was soaking wet, but didn't rain and wind was minimal. We did play LCP as it would have been ridiculous otherwise, some balls came down with a splash in standing water. Greens were soft and bumpy, most putts jumped and wiggled, but it was playable and we all putted on the same greens.
Matt bombed it like always (I do remember he birdie #2), Tim hit many good shots staying pretty consistent like he always does (he did have 2 or 3 nasty lip outs), Mike and myself played well in the right spots, just good enough to git'r done.

Thanks for the match fellas and thanks for stepping in Mike, pleasure playing with all ya all!
 Message #90771 - This was a reply to message #90758
Alex326

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    Pebble Beach

Tuesday March 5, 2019 8:05 AM
JohhnyGK/Mattias destroyed Alex326/Dblevs606 5&4 in a 27 hole match played at Quail Lodge (18 holes) and Spanish Bay (9 holes). This was part of a 36 hole fun filled day. More details later after my therapist helps me overcome the devastating defeat.
 Message #90777 - This was a reply to message #90771
JohnnyGK

JohnnyGK

Favorite Golfer:
    GK'ers
Favorite Golf Course:
    Cascata

Tuesday March 5, 2019 9:29 AM
QUOTED  JohhnyGK/Mattias destroyed Alex326/Dblevs606 5&4 in a 27 hole match played at Quail Lodge (18 holes) and Spanish Bay (9 holes). This was part of a 36 hole fun filled day. More details later after my therapist helps me overcome the devastating defeat.

Whether my team won or not as far as I was concerned it was still going to be a fantastic trip Alex because I enjoy teeing it up with you so much. Thanks for arranging the Spanish Bay round as our second. That was a thrill. Also was great getting to know Darren better and thanks for telling the golf gods to hold off on rain for that Monday. The one day of the week up there with decent weather. We timed it perfect!
GK FACEBOOK - Please check it out - CLICK HERE - I'm doing fun posts all the time.
 Message #90778 - This was a reply to message #90777
Alex326

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    Pebble Beach

Wednesday March 6, 2019 1:01 AM
So, after spending 4 hours today with my therapist in the form of a second round at Spanish Bay, I’m ready to give a recap of yesterday’s events. We decided to alter the format a bit and do a 27 hole team play so we could get in 9 holes of match play at Spanish Bay. It also gave us the chance to have a wardrobe change in the middle.

Speaking of the outfits, no re-cap is complete without a mention of the duds being worn. And don’t roll your eyes at me because I’m mentioning our get ups. It’s not like you watch the Oscar’s to see who actually wins! It’s all about who’s dressed to impress.

Mr. GK started off with the new soon to be classic look of Black on top of the white pants. He even threw in some white hat/black glove and vice versa combinations just to see if I was paying attention. Oddly enough had we made it to the second round, Darren and I were going to go with Black over white & White over black for a team theme. Guess maybe we should have concentrated on our game more than our outfits. Yeah, that’ll never happen.

Anyway, being that Johnny brought in the European for his teammate, there was no way I was going to pass up breaking out the official Ryder cup shirt and of course matching Callaway Truvis ball. However, brace yourself Rob, I forgot to bring my matching limited edition Ryder cup socks. No wonder I lost!

But the show stopper was Mattias who was rocking the black & red Argyle pants. A black shirt with red emblem was perfectly accented by a red glove, red watch band and a red golf ball. I tip my hat to your style Mattias!!

On to the match. Team Europe (JohnnyGK/Mattias) went 2 up right out of the gate. Mattias had a red hot putter and quieted the Americans quickly. After 4 holes, Team Europe was up 3 and it looked like a route in progress. But not so fast. Some clutch up and downs to save par by Alex had the match all tied up at the turn.

The next 3 holes saw some great putting by Mattias and Alex. Each making some crucial putts to have the holes. It was a true Ryder cup battle a la Rory and Reed. On to the back to back par 5’s and apparently somebody woke up Johnny. Just when Mattias hits it out of bounds off the tee, Johnny takes over with birdie- par run to again put them back two up.

A couple of back to back pars by Alex has the match coming back together. But… Mattias, back from his lunch break busted out a couple of pars at the end that Alex was unable to match as his putter started to cool off.

A bit of lunch and a wardrobe change by Alex and Johnny then we headed off to Spanish Bay. Johnny donned the official GK outfit of black and green and Alex went with a Grey and white get up debuted by Jordan Spieth at Spyglass last year. Unfortunately, Johnny put on a driving clinic and Mattias displayed a superior Iron game that left the American team of Alex326/Dblevs606 in the dust. The American Team never won another hole and could barely slow the bleeding with a couple of halves.

It was an absolute spectacular display of team effort between Johnny and Mattias. I don’t think they ever parred the same hole all day long. I’m not sure what their gross team score was for the 27 holes but my guess is it wasn’t much more than a handful of strokes over par, if that. And to rub salt in the wound, the very next hole after the match had been decided… I get a birdie. Go figure!

Anyway, two great outfits, I mean courses played in one day, I can’t complain.
 Message #90782 - This was a reply to message #90778
JohnnyGK

JohnnyGK

Favorite Golfer:
    GK'ers
Favorite Golf Course:
    Cascata

Wednesday March 6, 2019 11:19 AM
QUOTED  But the show stopper was Mattias who was rocking the black & red Argyle pants. A black shirt with red emblem was perfectly accented by a red glove, red watch band and a red golf ball. I tip my hat to your style Mattias!!

Now Alex you had to realize Team USA had no chance when it dawned on us that Mattias was also synced up with the front red/black flag sticks at Quail Lodge Golf Club...

Alex nailed the recap. I didn't start playing golf until the back nine at at Quail Lodge but Mattias was on fire early to shoulder the load. Then we ham & egged it the rest of the way. We shot a remarkable 9 over gross and 9 under net over 23 holes. Yet our gross scores at Quail Lodge were 86 Mattias and 84 Johnny. At Spanish Bay Mattias struggled on the last 5 holes (first 5 holes at Spanish Bay) of the match shooting 9 over yet Johnny was on fire shooting 2 over to close it out. This GK Cup is really is team play and I love it.
 Message #90784 - This was a reply to message #90782
24hourgolf

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    N/A

RPGC MAIL USER ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Wednesday March 6, 2019 2:35 PM
If I show up at a GK match play and you are "rocking" green/white plaid pants, I am going home LMAO.
 Message #90785 - This was a reply to message #90784

Listing 1 to 10 of 68 Replies

PAGES: 7 1 2 3 4 5

[ Community Page ]