Click To View Golf Course Page

Discussions in --- Use This to POST ---
Moderated By CPennbo, JohnnyGK, Nickesquire, ringworld, weber2323

Forums
Greenskeeper.org
--- Use This to POST ---
Caddie at Bandon Dunes? Recommendations if yes?
YOUR SETTINGSLIST FORUMSLIST TOPICSSEARCH

TOPIC: Caddie at Bandon Dunes? Recommendations if yes?

PRINT TOPICSEND THIS TO A FRIEND

Listing 1 to 10 of 12 Replies

PAGES: 2 1 2
lamitchw
Caddie at Bandon Dunes? Recommendations if yes?

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    N/A

RPGC MAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Monday June 5, 2017 11:23 AM
So...I'm 3 weeks away from my first trip to Bandon Dunes. So excited!!! I'm going with a group of 12 guys, many have been there before, only a few of us have not. We'll be playing 18 the first day, 36 the next 2 days, and 18 before we come home on the final day. My biggest issue I'm struggling with is should I get a caddie or not? Multiple guys in the group make their living through golf (teaching pros and editors for golf magazines) and they will not be getting caddies. As far as I know, I am the only person out of all 12 that's interested in having a caddie, so it would only be a single bag for them. I want to play to the best possible golf I can, so I'm assuming I'd be an idiot not getting a caddie?

Does anyone have strong feelings one way or the other about caddie use there? And does anyone have any recommendations for a solid caddie? I'm looking for someone who really knows their stuff on the course, but can also mix into a group of crazy guys having a really good time. Thanks in advance!

Mitch
 Message #84027
dconnally
RE: Caddie at Bandon Dunes? Recommendations if yes?

GK Event: Played in a GK Event GK Cup: Past & Current Champions of The GK Cup

Favorite Golfer:
    Arnie
Favorite Golf Course:
    Oak Quarry; Tobiano

Monday June 5, 2017 11:40 AM
Oh, to have this problem!!! LOL

Have a great trip, Mitch!
Remember, we could be at work!!
 Message #84028 - This was a reply to message #84027
weber2323
SoCal Community Staff

GK Event: Played in a GK Event

Favorite Golfer:
    David Duval
Favorite Golf Course:
    La Jolla Country Club

Monday June 5, 2017 2:29 PM
I did this a long time ago and got a girl who played in college. Really knowledgeable and I really liked her. I ended up using her all 3 days but I would use her in the morning round and then play the afternoon round without her since I just played the course that morning. It is a little more cost effective that way. I'd imagine that most of your buddies have already played there considering they are in the industry so maybe it's not worth it.

Sorry I can't remember her name and she's probably not there anymore. Good luck on the trip.
 Message #84029 - This was a reply to message #84028
140ver

Favorite Golfer:
    angel cabrera
Favorite Golf Course:
    trump scotland-GC only

Wednesday June 7, 2017 9:33 AM
If you play better with a caddie and can hit it where they want you to, everybody loves the caddies there. I normally don't play well with caddies, my fault not theirs. We did not take caddies and played each course twice except Bandon Trails. The first time through a caddie would have been worth 4-5 shots. If your friends are willing to share information and remember the holes, that may be a factor. If your trip is about your golf, you'd probably regret not getting a caddie as Weber has recommended. But a caddie is your mate, spiritual advisor and bible for those 18 holes. When I've played with friends who have caddies, out interaction is much less over the 18 holes - hmm, they always want to get a caddy. Unsolicited advice: If you're not used to playing in rain gloves, play a couple rounds in a pair before you go, just bring a bottle of water and keep them wet. Count me jealous. You can't help but have a great time.
 Message #84052 - This was a reply to message #84029
sflowers

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    N/A

Wednesday June 7, 2017 10:23 AM
yes.. get a caddie.. I just had my first trip there in Nov. 2016.. It was well worth it.. The caddies have invaluable experience on the courses and will def save you some strokes.. If I can give you some advice prior it would be practice the hybrid chip shots.. lots of tough slopes to work around the greens if you miss greens.. I had a caddie named Aaron.. he was good.. but my brother had a caddie who was awesome.. His name is Jimmy Mcdermott he had been working there for 5 years.. really knew yardages and lines.. I would take him again in a heartbeat.. They prefer double bags this time of year.. but hey they also take what they can get.. good luck play well... Make sure you do the punchbowl and if you get time do the practice 12 holes on the range as well.. Its free and lots of fun..

Fairways and greens
Scott Flowers
 Message #84054 - This was a reply to message #84027
sparky14

Favorite Golfer:
    Ben Crenshaw
Favorite Golf Course:
    All except Shorecliffs

Wednesday June 7, 2017 9:37 PM
I had the same caddy for my 3 rounds at Bandon. I went solo though, so it was nice to have a familiar face each day. And in my last round at Old Mac, I played as a single - so he played a few holes with me as well which was fun. But in a group of friends, you wouldn't interact nearly as much with the caddy.

Did he save me significant shots? Maybe, I just barely broke 80 in each round. Would I have been upset at shooting 85 or 90, not at all. There were several shots that he pointed out a line that I wouldn't have guessed.

Since my family doesn't golf, I don't do golf vacations. But, I knew this was my one and only ever trip to Bandon - and probably my only true golf vacation, so I went all out. Would I have enjoyed it without a caddie, sure. But I don't regret having the caddie one bit.
 Message #84069 - This was a reply to message #84027
sngernz

Favorite Golfer:
    Bubba!
Favorite Golf Course:
    Spyglass Hill

Thursday June 8, 2017 6:22 AM
My Bandon trip was several years ago so I'm not sure if our caddie, Buck, is still there. He double bagged for us and was phenomenal ... just a real bright and friendly kid (in his 20's). I even played another 9 holes with him after my bud petered out after 36.

Another advantage: if you're playing 36 holes (or more) you don't have to carry clubs or use a trolley so you'll save energy. And if finances are not an issue, why would you not hire a bagger? Easy decision.
 Message #84079 - This was a reply to message #84069
michaelko
NorCal Community Staff

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    N/A

Thursday June 15, 2017 5:44 PM
whatever your expectations are, it will be exceeded. have fun.

i've been the last 2 years. last year, i had a friend who's played there for 5 years, so he recommended no caddy, and btwn yardage books and his course knowledge, we would be fine. We pushed carts (brought our own, driving from sacramento). they only have rickshaws, which i'm not a big fan of. you can take your cart right onto and over the green.. they just ask you don't park it on the green. i played par3, 36, 36, 18.

this year, this past april, with a different group, we took caddies every round. played 18, 18+9 scramble, 36, par3.

the number one benefit is energy conservation. walking 36 with no bag, vs pushing/pulling, or carrying? huge difference in fatigue factor. without caddies, by the 3rd day, i was beat. it was a chore to get up, get loose... still fun, but very tight. With the caddies, i felt i could play 36 no problem.

for me, #2 was yardages. it was nice to have someone who plays and knows the course, and be able to factor in the wind... and just give me a number... it's 150, but hit it 180.

#3 was course management.. . where to hit, how the greens are sloped relative to pin placement.. where to miss, etc. my friend could tell me the course routing, but that was it. the yardage books could tell where hazards were.. and you had to think a lot to figure out where you could hit. YOu could ask, is that tree in play? or will i carry that bunker? cuz btwn optical illusions and elevations, it's not super easy. and while you could figure it out.. sometimes it's nice for someone to tell you that tower is your aimpoint.

the most fun i had was old mac, which is a true links course.. and my caddy (ryan i think his name was).. a good college player... and he would offer 2 or 3 suggestions for shots... i played shots i never would've tried or imagined on that course.

for me, green reading was the least valuable thing. if anything, my caddy figured out pretty quickly i didn't want him to read greens. but actually, we started collaborating... i'll tell him what i see, he'll tell me what he sees... when we differed, i just split the difference, and it worked out pretty good.

the biggest con is the price. adds $120 to your round. every round. they say $100.. i gave $120. is it worth it? depends on your financial comfort level. would i do caddies again? i think i definitely would. but consider the value of bandon dunes compared to other high end resorts... it's an absolute bargain. so the caddies kind of bring it to parity of other high end courses. that's one way to rationalize it.

our group was 12, and we mixed up groups.. so i saw a few different caddies. i had ryan for 3 of my 4 rounds, and we worked well together. the other caddies got lots of praise as well. the last round, we were pretty loose, bought them a few beers, everyone was busting everyone's balls, including the caddies: had a blast. we even had them hit a shot for money.. they both missed the green.. but you could tell they were players.
 Message #84215 - This was a reply to message #84079
lamitchw

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    N/A

Thursday June 15, 2017 7:26 PM
Thank you all for your opinions and advice. It's much appreciated. We are playing 18, 36, 36, and then Preserve on the last morning. Possibly more if we're feeling frisky. We are definitely playing Pac Dunes twice...the first and last rounds. My thinking is I'm going to have a caddy for the first 4 rounds, and rickshaw with the guys the second time around Pac Dunes. If the weather is drastically different, I may keep them for the last round. All I know is I'm on a plane early this Saturday morning, and I have no idea I'm going to be able to focus on ANYTHING until then!
 Message #84218 - This was a reply to message #84215
cthuyen

Favorite Golfer:
    Natalie Gulbis
Favorite Golf Course:
    Goose Creek

Friday June 16, 2017 6:05 AM
Been to Bandon Dunes, they are known for their caddy program. Use a caddie, it will make experience that much more enjoyable.

Night and day compared to Pebble Beachs caddie program.

Make sure you play all 4 eighteen hole courses. If you play PAC Dunes twice, hopefully you wont have to skip one of the other gems.

[[Edited by cthuyen on Friday June 16, 2017 6:06 AM]]
 Message #84223 - This was a reply to message #84218

Listing 1 to 10 of 12 Replies

PAGES: 2 1 2

[ Community Page ]