Blue Stakes
GK Event: Played in a GK Event

Favorite Golfer:
    CHUCK NORRIS
Favorite Golf Course:
    Wolf Creek

RPGC MAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Monday June 12, 2017 12:47 PM
So Friday while playing at Crossings I noticed that every hazard was marked with blue stakes which I looked up to signal GUR. Now that would classify as a free drop but it does not make sense. Our foursome played it as a lateral and I only had one bad drive which I played a provisional anyways.

What are your thoughts on the Blue stakes? Did we play it correctly if we took a free drop?
 Message #84161
sngernz
RE: Blue Stakes

Favorite Golfer:
    Bubba!
Favorite Golf Course:
    Spyglass Hill

Monday June 12, 2017 3:52 PM
I've only played there once, Matt, but I understood the Blue stakes to designate an 'environmental hazard'. Other courses I've played with similar situations use red stakes with a green tip. Why the Crossings uses blue I have no clue.

So when you say you 'looked it up to signal GUR', where did you read this? If it was a local rule (to play as GUR) that would be surprising.

But, yeah, if it's an environmental hazard you take a drop at point of entry (two club lengths) with a one stroke penalty.

I do need to get back there ... really enjoyed the challenging layout.
 Message #84168 - This was a reply to message #84161
mpisarski01

Favorite Golfer:
    CHUCK NORRIS
Favorite Golf Course:
    Wolf Creek

Monday June 12, 2017 3:57 PM
QUOTED  So when you say you 'looked it up to signal GUR', where did you read this? If it was a local rule (to play as GUR) that would be surprising.

That is what I found online for the definition of a blue stake.

They probably did not like the look of the red stake or green with red tip stakes so they decided to buy blue.
 Message #84169 - This was a reply to message #84168
grantar2

Favorite Golfer:
    Danny Lee
Favorite Golf Course:
    Medowlark

Monday June 12, 2017 8:34 PM
At the crossings you not allowed to set foot in those areas so marked because they are environmentally protected. No going in to look for your ball.
 Message #84174 - This was a reply to message #84169
GDR23
GK Event: Played in a GK Event GK Cup: Past & Current Champions of The GK Cup

Favorite Golfer:
    Woods Couples
Favorite Golf Course:
    Rustic Purisma Sandpiper

Monday June 12, 2017 9:59 PM
Hey Matt,

Blue Stakes can be very interesting.

It gets interesting and confusing up here at Rustic. Was chatting with my playing partners regarding the Blue Stakes at Rustic today. They are surrounding certain waste/sand bunkers at Rustic. Rustic denotes their ESA with red stakes with green tips. So no confusion there--but the confusing part of the blue stake at Rustic is that a waste bunker you can take practice swings and ground your club vs obviously a sand bunker where you cannot touch the sand or ground your club prior to your shot.

The confusing thing at Rustic is they have multiple trap/waste areas where they have a blue stake with a rake sitting right there next to it in the same area. So what is it Rustic--a waste bunker since there is a blue stake there or a sand bunker since a sand bunker is always usually denoted with a rake present. It can't be both--I play it any time I see a rake around as a sand bunker--even if the blue stake is right there staring me in the face.
 Message #84177 - This was a reply to message #84174
leef2020

Favorite Golfer:
    Jack
Favorite Golf Course:
    Baltusrol

Tuesday June 13, 2017 2:47 AM
It's been said already, but just wanted to confirm that the blue stakes at The Crossings indicate an Environmentally Sensitive Area, and incurs a 1 stroke penalty at point of entry. Generally, you should not venture further than you can reach a club into it to pull out a golf ball. If you guys played it as a 'free' drop with no penalty, that was an incorrect interpretation. But, since it was your birthday, it should be a 'penalty-free' day! ;-)

On another note/course, after a number of rounds played at Tijeras Creek, I found out that if your ball comes to rest in one of the concrete 'V' channels that line a number of holes, it is a free drop. Beyond them, the red lateral hazard stakes indicate just that, but the 'V' channels have fortunately snagged a handful of balls that otherwise could've gone into the red zone.
 Message #84178 - This was a reply to message #84161
mpisarski01

Favorite Golfer:
    CHUCK NORRIS
Favorite Golf Course:
    Wolf Creek

Tuesday June 13, 2017 7:35 AM
QUOTED  free' drop with no penalty, that was an incorrect interpretation

I only had one ball go in to the crap and I immediately played it as OB since it was such a a bad drive
 Message #84181 - This was a reply to message #84178
CPennbo

Community Director/Women

Favorite Golfer:
    Annika/Mickelson
Favorite Golf Course:
    Balboa

Tuesday June 13, 2017 5:31 PM
QUOTED  blue stake at Rustic is that a waste bunker you can take practice swings and ground your club vs obviously a sand bunker where you cannot touch the sand or ground your club prior to your shot.

Same situation at Morongo Tukwet. The blue stakes change occasionally- like when a bunker is under repair or has sustained water damage a blue stake will be placed there. Thankfully it's on the card so just requires a quick look to know what the rules regarding it are.
New Year's Resolution- HAVE MORE FUN, DO MORE, SEE MORE, LAUGH MORE!
 Message #84184 - This was a reply to message #84177

Listing 1 to 8 of 8 Replies

PAGES: 1

[ Community Page ]