Where is the deep rough?
GK Event: Played in a GK Event

Favorite Golfer:
    Phil Mickelson
Favorite Golf Course:
    DragonRidge CC

RPGC MAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Friday June 30, 2017 8:35 PM
It hit me today that it's been a long time (not in recent memory) that I've played a course where I feel a real, serious pressure or importance to hitting the fairway/avoiding the primary rough. I feel like most reviews I write say something to the effect of "rough was maybe 2-3 inches deep, not very penal." I'm not necessarily complaining, but I'm curious if this is how others see things, or if it's the courses I'm playing, or what. This might make me sound like an old man, but I feel like rough used to be more punitive than it is lately at public courses. Am I right? (Long rough surely leads to longer rounds, so there's incentive for courses to keep it shorter.)

Have you played SoCal courses lately where there's a real premium on hitting the fairway? If so, where?

P.S. I quickly read through my last 30+ reviews, and in my Moorpark CC review, I did note a premium for staying on the fairway, but it still wasn't the deep kind of rough I'm thinking about here. Also Pala Mesa back in March I noted deeper, penal rough. So while there are some exceptions, I guess my point is that nine out of 10 courses seem to keep the rough pretty short and there's little penalty for hitting into it. Is this the new normal?
 Message #84499
evildrummerhb
RE: Where is the deep rough?

Favorite Golfer:
    Hunter, Phil, Freddie C.
Favorite Golf Course:
    Emerald Canyon

Friday June 30, 2017 9:10 PM
TPC Santa Ana, aka Willowick hahaha. Haven't thrown up a review yet, but I believe it's the answer you're looking for. It's probably 60/40 against that you'll even find your ball if you miss the fairway. I've never seen it like this before. Deadly rough.
 Message #84500 - This was a reply to message #84499
rob1563

Southern Nevada Community Staff

Favorite Golfer:
    Ryan Moore
Favorite Golf Course:
    Wolf Creek

Friday June 30, 2017 9:22 PM
Good question, but is it a pace of play issue, or watering issue? I went through and found most of the time I said the rough was penal, it was shortly after a course came out of re-seeding, when it is getting a ton of water and they are letting the grass grow to take root.

For pace of play on desert courses, longer rough would help prevent balls from rolling into the desert/ESA areas, resulting in time gobbling search parties.
 Message #84501 - This was a reply to message #84499
Rat-Patrol

Favorite Golfer:
    My Grandpa was
Favorite Golf Course:
    Balboa Park GC

Friday June 30, 2017 9:26 PM
Come play Torrey South sometime Mark . . .
 Message #84502 - This was a reply to message #84501
Itslikeimsayin

Favorite Golfer:
    Phil Mickelson
Favorite Golf Course:
    DragonRidge CC

Friday June 30, 2017 9:45 PM
QUOTED  Come play Torrey South sometime Mark . . .

The last time I played there was probably the deepest rough I've ever experienced, but that was about 20 years ago, a day or two after the Tour had been in town. Good to hear they keep it tough all the time.
 Message #84503 - This was a reply to message #84502
robule

Favorite Golfer:
    Couples, Ko, Day
Favorite Golf Course:
    N/A

Friday June 30, 2017 10:13 PM
QUOTED  TPC Santa Ana, aka Willowick

I used to play there a lot in the early 90's.

Called it PGA -Wick
 Message #84507 - This was a reply to message #84500
roarksown1

Favorite Golfer:
    Whoever's with me playing
Favorite Golf Course:
    Bighorn

Saturday July 1, 2017 1:07 PM
It's a private course but Brentwood CC has some awfully thick rough that renders searching for a ball utterly pointless. It was bordering on frustrating because it's just such a thicket. I was not a big fan.
 Message #84511 - This was a reply to message #84507
lotrgolfer48

GK Cup: Past & Current Champions of The GK Cup GK Event: Played in a GK Event

Favorite Golfer:
    Jordan Spieth
Favorite Golf Course:
    Chambers Bay, Yocha De-He

Saturday July 1, 2017 3:27 PM
TPC Santa Ana might be the best name I've ever heard for The Wick. Fantastic stuff
 Message #84512 - This was a reply to message #84511
HmtGolfGuy

Favorite Golfer:
    Brendan Steele
Favorite Golf Course:
    Rams Hill, Oak Valley

Sunday July 2, 2017 1:59 AM
While neither have the pervasive, nasty obnoxious stuff I think you're referring to, both Soboba and Legends in Temecula have areas where your club/shot choices are pretty limited because it's so thick. Fairly consistent around the greens (with a few exceptions) but it along the fairways it depends on where you miss. For example, when I played Legends last week I was usually about 20-30 yards longer off the tee than the guy I was paired with. On a few holes we had basically the same miss but twice mine got swallowed up while his were fine and a couple other holes it was the reverse.

Until they cleared the "natural overgrowth" a few weeks ago, Cherry Hills in Sun City had some HORRIBLY penal "rough" (actually weeds/brush). Hit it there and just pull out another ball 'cause you're weren't gonna find it (and if you tried you'd need to tie a rope to your cart to find your way back out). Probably not what you were thinking of but it was really ugly.
 Message #84517 - This was a reply to message #84499
grantar2

Favorite Golfer:
    Danny Lee
Favorite Golf Course:
    Medowlark

Sunday July 2, 2017 5:15 PM
Interesting question, and yes Torrey will keep the rough deep as the prepare to host an upcoming U.S. Open 2020 I believe. Based on what I am reading, and listening to on the decline in rounds played, cost of course operation, pace of play you will see less not more primary rough, fewer overhanging or obstructing trees, if the course can't widen it's fairways.

The 1990-2000's philosophy or designing difficult course that challenge low handicap players is being discarded. The majority of players don't want to play them, women don't want to play them (which is a market manufactures and courses want to see grow), they are more expensive to maintain, and pace of play is slower.

There are some very good players here that spend every minute of the five they are allowed looking for errant shots, collecting lost balls etc. (thus the proposed rules of three minutes) which when done makes it impossible for a foursome to complete the hole is the standard alloted time. By reducing the depth of the rough the course improves pace.

Since I believe the majority players attempt to stay in the fairway, I don't think the rough changes their intended shot.

There is plenty of rough at Black Gold, the Crossings, Goose Creek, Torrey Pines, the Golf Club of California was a little deep. Many make up for lack of deep rough by substantial OB.
 Message #84522 - This was a reply to message #84517

Listing 1 to 10 of 16 Replies

PAGES: 2 1 2

[ Community Page ]