Semantics of Golf Announcing: "Unlucky"
GK Event: Played in a GK Event

Favorite Golfer:
    Phil Mickelson
Favorite Golf Course:
    DragonRidge CC

RPGC MAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Thursday July 6, 2017 12:40 PM
Is anyone else tired of hearing golf announcers say a player got "unlucky" on a shot? Taken at the dictionary definition, it means they didn't get lucky. But it seems to me whenever it's used by an announcer, the implication is that they should have gotten that lucky bounce or break. It implies that the player got unfairly treated, when in reality, they got the exact result that their shot deserved.

Did I get unlucky when I didn't win the lottery last weekend?

Semi-related, some announcer just said this on a Bubba Watson lip-out at Greenbrier: "That's robbery right there. That was a great stroke and a great putt." It might've been a great stroke, but it must've been a mis-hit or a mis-read because it didn't go in the hole. That's NOT robbery!

Maybe I just feel there's too much "rooting" for the players by announcers rather than just calling what happened.
 Message #84585
sammy3
RE: Semantics of Golf Announcing: "Unlucky"

Favorite Golfer:
    Tommy Bolt
Favorite Golf Course:
    Pebble

Thursday July 6, 2017 1:02 PM
My pet peeve is saying a putt is breaking right to left or left to right. When was the last time a putt broke left to left or right to right? Why not just say the putt breaks left or this putt breaks right.?
 Message #84587 - This was a reply to message #84585
chevelle

Favorite Golfer:
    Fred Couples
Favorite Golf Course:
    Goose Creek

Thursday July 6, 2017 3:28 PM
I agree with that " unlucky" comment. They hit it there so that is what they deserve. If they would have hit it in the fairway there would be no comment, so be good enough with your shot to get it to the fairway.
Another comment I can't stand is when the announcers say " this is a horrible lie" Excuse me, I play from those lies every time I go out and golf, these are "Pros" they should be able to handle it........ )
Then you get the comment " the ball is a little above his feet", well duh this is a fairway, not a flat basketball court and you have to put up with uneven lies.
If I hit a putt and it rims the hole and stays out, I don't consider it being robbed, I consider it that I miss read the putt, either line or speed or both.
It is all about taking responsibility for you actions, I.E. hitting the ball ETC.
 Message #84588 - This was a reply to message #84587
1PLUS1

Favorite Golfer:
    Seve; Nick Faldo
Favorite Golf Course:
    Belgrade Lakes (Maine)

Thursday July 6, 2017 3:59 PM
QUOTED  Is anyone else tired of hearing golf announcers say a player got "unlucky" on a shot?

Funny you happen to bring this up Mark. I was watching the LPGA Tournament last week and the announcer...I believe it was Gary Koch...made that exact comment. I forget who the player was...might have been Lexi Thompson...but her approach shot fell a few feet short of carrying a slope on the green which, if negotiated properly, would have fed the ball down towards the pin. As a result, the ball caromed off to the side and into the rough. Koch's assessment? It was "unlucky".

Similar to your reaction, my immediate response was "how can you call that unlucky?". Attribute it to poor shot execution or the wrong club choice...but don't pass it off as a case of bad luck. It's annoying enough that these announcers fawn all over the players these days (Thompson and Fowler are the two prime examples) but to label some of their missed shots...the ones they should be taking ownership of...as "unlucky" is an insult to the viewing audience.
 Message #84590 - This was a reply to message #84585
noeldaof

Favorite Golfer:
    Anyone who sets up left
Favorite Golf Course:
    CRYSTALAIRE

Thursday July 6, 2017 4:00 PM
I think I know what you mean. If it was only every once in a while might have been okay and tolerable, but to hear it often enough doesn't make it sincere (I think).

Anyway, while in the announcer subject, I'm hopeful to hear what Bones have to say or how he will- his way to say things from another point of view in golf announcing. I'm very happy to hear of his new endeavor and very glad for him to have a break in this new avenue of work outside of caddying.
Play from a position!
 Message #84591 - This was a reply to message #84585
robule

Favorite Golfer:
    Couples, Ko, Day
Favorite Golf Course:
    N/A

Thursday July 6, 2017 4:46 PM
QUOTED  Is anyone else tired of hearing golf announcers say a player got "unlucky" on a shot?

Agreed!

If a player hits a drive dead center of a fairway, hits a sprinkler head and bounds 90 degree and 50 yards off line, out of bounds... That's unlucky!

My other peeve lately is the overstatement of putting distances especially by McCord. Too many times I've seen someone putt and the commentary is he's 15 feet away, hit the putt and takes 2-3 normal steps from stance to hole. Must have some REALLY long legs/stride.

[[Edited by robule on Thursday July 6, 2017 4:51 PM]]
 Message #84594 - This was a reply to message #84585
kviser

SoCal Community Staff

GK Event: Played in a GK Event LA-GK-Meetup-Winner: LA GK Meetup Winner

Favorite Golfer:
    Fred Couples
Favorite Golf Course:
    River Ridge

Thursday July 6, 2017 10:28 PM
Mark, I hear you buddy! When it comes to most sports, I prefer no announcer at all. I'd rather just see the action rather than hear their take on it.
QUOTED  Did I get unlucky when I didn't win the lottery last weekend?

Yeah, me too!
QUOTED  When was the last time a putt broke left to left or right to right?

When I aim for the left side of the hole and it breaks left or when I aim for the right side of the hole and it breaks right! LOL!
 Message #84605 - This was a reply to message #84585
Rat-Patrol

Favorite Golfer:
    My Grandpa was
Favorite Golf Course:
    Balboa Park GC

Friday July 7, 2017 6:13 AM
QUOTED  [Posted By kviser on 07.06.2017 10:28 PM]

Mark, I hear you buddy! When it comes to most sports, I prefer no announcer at all. I'd rather just see the action rather than hear their take on it.

I was gonna say something along those lines, all announcers get old after awhile. The full time comedians are the worst . . . remember when Dennis Miller was on Monday Night Football? Epic fail . . . Feherty, just can't stand him at all anymore. McCord, has his moments, but overall I could do without him.
Faldo can be OK, just not when paired with the drama queen, Jim Nantz. But I usually sleep through most of the telecast, so that may tell you how entertained I am by watching golf on TV in the first place.
 Message #84608 - This was a reply to message #84605
sngernz

Favorite Golfer:
    Bubba!
Favorite Golf Course:
    Spyglass Hill

Friday July 7, 2017 9:19 AM
QUOTED  I was gonna say something along those lines, all announcers get old after awhile.

There are some great ones out there that are timeless, Rat. Vin Scully comes to mind right away. I always enjoyed Ken Venturi's commentary in golf. And, I grew up listening to Laker games on my radio with Chick Hearn ... it like I was there watching.

Look, they're human and have to fill a lot of space in some of those long telecasts. Don't sweat the small stuff.

And don't most TV's have a channel changer and volume control?
 Message #84611 - This was a reply to message #84608
Rat-Patrol

Favorite Golfer:
    My Grandpa was
Favorite Golf Course:
    Balboa Park GC

Friday July 7, 2017 9:28 AM
Those guys are all gone now . . . what we are left with sucks.
 Message #84612 - This was a reply to message #84611

Listing 1 to 10 of 56 Replies

PAGES: 6 1 2 3 4 5

[ Community Page ]