Click To View Golf Course Page

Discussions in --- Use This to POST ---
Moderated By CPennbo, JohnnyGK, Nickesquire, ringworld, weber2323

Forums
Greenskeeper.org
--- Use This to POST ---
Rules Question: Was I entitled to re-drop?
YOUR SETTINGSLIST FORUMSLIST TOPICSSEARCH

TOPIC: Rules Question: Was I entitled to re-drop?

PRINT TOPICSEND THIS TO A FRIEND

Listing 1 to 5 of 5 Replies

PAGES: 1
Itslikeimsayin
Rules Question: Was I entitled to re-drop?
GK Event: Played in a GK Event

Favorite Golfer:
    Phil Mickelson
Favorite Golf Course:
    DragonRidge CC

RPGC MAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Sunday October 22, 2017 12:23 PM
Last weekend at Oak Valley I pulled my drive on the 9th hole low and left. (For those familiar with the hole, just left of the big waste bunker.) I ended up finding my ball in the middle of a bush. I decided to take an unplayable lie and measured two club lengths to the left from where the ball lied. When I dropped in that spot, however, the ball kicked hard right (not more than two club lengths, however), right back into the edge of the same bush. Without really thinking much, I picked it up and re-dropped, but after examining the rules this morning, I'm wondering if I was actually entitled to that re-drop.

Rule 20-2c(v) says to re-drop if it "rolls to and comes to rest in a position where there is interference by the condition from which relief was taken (so far, so good, but then continues) ...under Rule 24-2b, Rule 25-1, Rule 25-3, or a Local Rule, or rolls back into the pitch mark from which is was lifted under the embedded ball rule, Rule 25-2."

There's no mention of getting to re-drop when taking a drop for an unplayable lie, which is Rule 28.

In my head, my thinking was that if I'm taking a stroke penalty and have an open spot from which I can hit within two club lengths, then I need to take full relief from the bush. But maybe I was wrong.

Anyone know the correct ruling here?
 Message #86048
Andrew1
RE: Rules Question: Was I entitled to re-drop?

Favorite Golfer:
    Ben Hogan
Favorite Golf Course:
    PGA West, Nicklaus Tourna

Sunday October 22, 2017 2:05 PM
this is an interesting situation. I was in this same predicament last year at Tukwet Canyon at a Scga event. The official stated to me that since my ball did not extend over the 2 club length rule after the dropped (using the club I measured with) and that your ball did not go any closer to the hole you must play ball as it lied. Unfortunately in golf a "Free relief" drop or a "Drop" of any sort from Hazards, cart paths sprinkle heads and so on does not guarantee you a favorable lie. When your ball left your hand (for the drop) that ball was a live ball and must be played as such. Check out rule 28/3 "Itslikeimsaying" You were NOT entitled to a Re-drop. Now you could of taking another Unplayable lie (occurring another penalty) using the other options available to you. #1 Going back to your first previous shot that got you to this point. #2 again the 2 club length rule Side to Side or #3 going back as far as you want keeping the pen in line with your ball or play the ball as it lie. Your Ball going back into the Bush was a bad luck drop. But in golf, Nothing is guaranteed. But just let me add this. I admire you for playing by the Rules of golf. Most players would of ignored this situation and re dropped the ball to get a favorable lie. Its players like you I really enjoy playing with. I don't have to keep looking over my shoulder to see if my opponents are playing by the Rules. Check out Rule 28/3 in the Decisions book. If I'm wrong in this decision, please correct me.
 Message #86049 - This was a reply to message #86048
Itslikeimsayin

Favorite Golfer:
    Phil Mickelson
Favorite Golf Course:
    DragonRidge CC

Sunday October 22, 2017 6:14 PM
Thanks Andrew1. I was looking at the USGA Rules app for reference earlier, which doesn't include the "Decisions." You're right Rule 28 Decision 3 is exactly what I was describing, and I should have penalized myself an additional stroke.

Makes you realize it's important to survey exactly where you're going to drop before letting go of that ball when trouble is nearby.

Also, this is a situation that would be HUGELY impacted if those proposed new, dumbed-down rules take effect. If I could've dropped from half an inch off the ground, this definitely wouldn't have happened.
 Message #86052 - This was a reply to message #86049
RDDenn

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    Barona Creek

Sunday October 22, 2017 6:39 PM
Los Verdes Men's Club actually published something about this rule a few years ago, given that so many players take unplayables along the fence line on the left of the 16th hole. They agreed with your belated conclusion, that you do not get "complete" relief from an unplayable lie. The ball is live when dropped. If it rolls through the fence and is out of bounds, you get a re-drop, but not if it rolls back against the fence. You have to start the process all over again in that case, with another penalty.
 Message #86053 - This was a reply to message #86048
sngernz

Favorite Golfer:
    Bubba!
Favorite Golf Course:
    Spyglass Hill

Monday October 23, 2017 6:25 AM
QUOTED  Los Verdes Men's Club actually published something about this rule a few years ago, given that so many players take unplayables along the fence line on the left of the 16th hole.

Brings back the intense 'discussions' involving that Decision at LV back when I was the Rules Chair, RDD, as it was so difficult for some members to understand that if the ball does not travel more than 2 club lengths when dropped, it cannot be re-dropped. Players would take an 'unplayable' when it was against the fence, drop, and then want to re-drop when it went back against the fence. The Rules won't allow it because it didn't roll more than two club lengths.

In those situations, it's almost always better to check the pin-to-ball-line where a player can drop behind (any distance) on that line. I've used it and dropped as far as 50 yards back, but a least I'm playing a decent lie.
QUOTED  I admire you for playing by the Rules of golf. Most players would of ignored this situation and re dropped the ball to get a favorable lie.

That is so true. In fact, how many times how you seen a player take an acceptable drop and re-drop because they didn't like the lie.

Good man for owning up, Itslikeimsayin.
 Message #86055 - This was a reply to message #86053

Listing 1 to 5 of 5 Replies

PAGES: 1

[ Community Page ]