It could all fall apart
GK Event: Played in a GK Event

Favorite Golfer:
    Danny Lee
Favorite Golf Course:
    Medowlark

RPGC MAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Saturday February 24, 2018 11:04 PM
It could all fall apart tomorrow, but watching Tiger today was impressive. No he didn't shoot the lowest score, but his shot making was very good, he was under par in an official tournament for the first time in 900 days. He sits tied for 11th, and with two guys at the top who have never won on the PGA tour he doesn't see himself out of contention.

I am not saying he is going to win, or even stay in the top 11, but this is a guy who has had four back surgeries to add to the four knee surgeries and he has a 128mph club head speed today faster than anyone in the field, a 182mph ball speed, and was leading in driving distance. His iron play was very good, and his wedge play articulate. Even the putting was better than the result.

The amazing thing is that he wasn't cleared to swing a club until almost November of last year, and because of his back his swing is different that what he last had.

I know the top guys are not worried about Tiger like in the old days, but if he can be top 25 with the little he had at Torrey, and can be top 11 at PGA National in only his 9th round, with as hard as the PGA tour is, well lets just say if he doesn't blow something out, this is going to get real fun.

Between the PGA tour at the Honda, and the Korda Sisters in Thailand at the Honda, this has been a great weekend of Golf so far.

Sorry since no one had I had to post a Tiger comment.
 Message #87239
Rat-Patrol
RE: It could all fall apart

Favorite Golfer:
    My Grandpa was
Favorite Golf Course:
    Balboa Park GC

Sunday February 25, 2018 6:32 AM
He smiles more now . . . not sure how much he has worked on Tiger the man, but his golf game looks better.
 Message #87241 - This was a reply to message #87239
grantar2

Favorite Golfer:
    Danny Lee
Favorite Golf Course:
    Medowlark

Sunday February 25, 2018 8:49 PM
I noticed when he was paired with Thomas and Kizzire, he was studying Kizzire almost like building a future Ryder Cup, Presidents Cup note book on him.

Thought he played well today, just surprised he couldn't find a way to par 15 after having it bite him the previous three rounds. Still after most of three years off to be 7 back and in sole possession of 12th place isn't bad.

Undoubtedly he will play Arnie's tournament, the question is will he play Valspar or Houston before the Masters? He would help the PGA if he plays Houston with it's sponsorship woes.
 Message #87249 - This was a reply to message #87241
HmtGolfGuy

Favorite Golfer:
    Brendan Steele
Favorite Golf Course:
    Rams Hill, Oak Valley

Monday February 26, 2018 1:11 AM
Agree completely. Over the last 3 years he's had what, maybe six or seven full tournaments (two of which were small field semi-exhibition events) and was still able to finish 12th? Pretty impressive. Doubt many other players could pull that off.

Now - if he can get his driver to cooperate a little more and eliminate the "hiccups"(which will come with more tournament play), things could get pretty interesting in a couple months!

[[Edited by HmtGolfGuy on Monday February 26, 2018 1:13 AM]]
 Message #87251 - This was a reply to message #87249
Deepsea14

Favorite Golfer:
    Dad and his Dad
Favorite Golf Course:
    The one I'm playing

Monday February 26, 2018 7:09 AM
Amazing the club head speed he is producing now. Makes me think back fusion would help my game! Hope he can stay healthy as any event with him in it is better than without. On to Augusta... His workout and daily practice routine in his prime was extraordinary then, routine now for the elite?
What are the odds Tiger wins another PGA tour event? 50/50? Another major...

In October at Silverado in Napa First two rounds John Daly (old) Jamie Sadowski (middle) and amateur (then) Cameron Champ (young) paired Thurs/Fri. I noticed no distinct advantage off the tee for any age category when all used the driver.

Daly made the weekend the other two didn't. Big John knocked his third off the tent roof on 18 first round chips in for birdie from left of green. Made cut on number.

Go Tiger go...
 Message #87253 - This was a reply to message #87251
grantar2

Favorite Golfer:
    Danny Lee
Favorite Golf Course:
    Medowlark

Monday February 26, 2018 9:59 PM
QUOTED  His workout and daily practice routine in his prime was extraordinary then, routine now for the elite?
What are the odds Tiger wins another PGA tour event? 50/50? Another major...

Workout routine is still likely elite, what I imagine he is skipping are his full contact marshal arts training, long runs pounding his knees, and working ball routines that stretch the back. Most likely sticking to upper body strength and conditioning.

Odds he wins another PGA tour event this year if healthy 70/30. I think a win is important to him, making the top 10 in the FedEx cup, getting in the WEC rounds and Tour Championship are clearly high on his list. He finds a way to keep from losing five strokes on 15 and he is two out of the lead and in third. Tiger has traditionally played the majors wherever they are, and course that fit his eye. He doesn't normally play Riviera and well doing well to my recollection has never won the Honda Classic. I think if he plays a course he has won on before his odds go way up.
 Message #87263 - This was a reply to message #87253
sngernz

Favorite Golfer:
    Bubba!
Favorite Golf Course:
    Spyglass Hill

Sunday March 4, 2018 9:15 AM
With Michelle Wie getting her first win since 2014 would Ti-Woo be the next sleeping giant to be awakened? If he survives the Valspar next week, maybe a win at Arnie's place the following week?

Either way, great for the game that these two icons are back in the limelight.
 Message #87347 - This was a reply to message #87263
Rat-Patrol

Favorite Golfer:
    My Grandpa was
Favorite Golf Course:
    Balboa Park GC

Sunday March 4, 2018 9:52 AM
Not quite sure about using Wie and Woods in any comparative sense . . . many of Tiger's problems were self-inflicted.
 Message #87348 - This was a reply to message #87347
grantar2

Favorite Golfer:
    Danny Lee
Favorite Golf Course:
    Medowlark

Sunday March 4, 2018 12:12 PM
This from the update on Tiger playing Valspar. Look at the list of top players that where going to be there, then the impact of Tiger even though the event had top talent. For the last three years asking why the media has given a guy that wasn't playing/hardly playing, not winning so much attention. This is why.

“Tiger mode": Having Woods in the field at any event is a boon for tournament organizers - just ask the folks in Los Angeles or at the Honda Classic - but landing the game’s main event for the last two decades can be game-changing for a tournament like the Valspar Championship.

“Now we’re going into what we call Tiger mode,” said Hollis Cavner, the executive director of Pro Links Sports, which manages the event. “Everything changes when he comes. We’ll have to beef up security, increase busing, concessions. Now it’s a whole different game. That’s the effect he has.”

It wasn’t that long ago that the Tampa-area event was on life support, searching for a title sponsor and stuck with a date that did little to attract a deep field.

That reality has changed dramatically, with a sponsor committed through 2020 and a field next week that will include Woods, Jordan Spieth, Rory McIlroy, Sergio Garcia and Henrik Stenson.

He was worth a 40% bump in ticket sales at Torrey, 25% at Riviera if media is to be believed.

Look forward to the next two weeks.

However well I am not a big Wie fan, I stayed up each night to watch the match and she was great, sorry to see Korda slip, was rooting for Kerr, but her wheels fell off. Women's golf is as good as it gets right now, really great fields. Love the Seniors as well.
 Message #87351 - This was a reply to message #87348
1PLUS1

Favorite Golfer:
    Seve; Nick Faldo
Favorite Golf Course:
    Belgrade Lakes (Maine)

Sunday March 4, 2018 7:27 PM
QUOTED  With Michelle Wie getting her first win since 2014, would Ti-Woo be the next sleeping giant to be awakened? If he survives the Valspar next week, maybe a win at Arnie's place the following week?

Either way, great for the game these two icons are back in the limelight.

I would never consider using the word "icon" when talking about Michelle Wie, unless you're looking at it from the marketing/hype-machine angle. To me, the true icons in Women's Golf include names like Nancy Lopez, Annika Sorenstam, Se-ri Pak, Karrie Webb and, from further back, Kathy Whitworth, Micket Wright, Judy Rankin, as well as "pioneers" Louise Suggs, Betsy Rawls, and Patty Berg.

Attaching the "icon" label to Wie is akin to including people like Fowler, Day, Thomas, McIlroy, Johnson, Watson in the same lofty status as Hogan, Snead, Palmer, Nicklaus, Player, et al. While this current group of "stars" may occupy the upper echelon of their sport, to annoint any of them as "iconic" at this point in time would be extremely short-sighted and premature, particularly in Wie's case.
 Message #87355 - This was a reply to message #87347

Listing 1 to 10 of 32 Replies

PAGES: 4 1 2 3 4

[ Community Page ]