Palm Springs Affordable Golf Courses
GK Event: Played in a GK Event

Favorite Golfer:
    Danny Lee
Favorite Golf Course:
    Medowlark

RPGC MAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Wednesday March 21, 2018 8:43 PM
Are there any special gems in the Palm Springs area that can be had for $60 or less per round mid April?
 Message #87621
Itslikeimsayin
RE: Palm Springs Affordable Golf Courses

Favorite Golfer:
    Phil Mickelson
Favorite Golf Course:
    DragonRidge CC

Wednesday March 21, 2018 9:46 PM
I just searched GolfNow Hot Deals for Saturday, April 14 and I see these options in your price range:
La Quinta Resort (Dunes Course) $51 at 11:42
Desert Dunes $54 at 7:44
Tahquitz Creek (Resort Course) $39 at 1:36
Escena $63 at 8:09

I've never played Escena, but always heard good things. The other three are all good. Even though the Dunes course is the lesser of the two at La Quinta, it's still quite good, and that's a nice price.
 Message #87623 - This was a reply to message #87621
1PLUS1

Favorite Golfer:
    Seve; Nick Faldo
Favorite Golf Course:
    Belgrade Lakes (Maine)

Thursday March 22, 2018 12:03 AM
A couple of good suggestions from Mark but as a long-time Escena fan, that's where my recommendation lies. I've always felt the golf course never gets near the attention it deserves, often being overshadowed by some of the more popular and over-priced venues, such as Desert Willow and the Indian Wells Golf Resort. Despite its' tendency to fly "under the radar", it is a solid track that historically maintains high-level playing conditions and one I would place in the "Best Bang for the Buck" category. Just be aware they do not have a regulation driving range and only offer a few warm-up cages.

If you're seeking an affordable, challenging, yet enjoyable test of golf, Escena checks off all the boxes. It's a relatively open layout...albeit with some strategic bunkering...that features a few elevation changes, along with some risk/reward-type holes, to keep things interesting. And depending on the time of day you play, wind could also become a consideration but that only adds to the challenge/fun factor.

There are multiple tee boxes incorporated into the design with a good variation in the comparative yardages so choosing the one that suits your game is pretty straightforward. And the golf course doesn't necessarily favor one type of player over the other; whether you're a high-ball or low-ball hitter, the holes are designed in a way to allow either style of play some degree of success.

You may not be "wowed" by any of the holes while standing on the tee box (although the Par-3 12th ranks as one of my all-time favorites, especially when the pin is cut on the lower rear tier) but as far as the golf is concerned, Escena is close to the top of my list of courses in the Palm Springs area, ranking just behind Shadow Ridge and The Classic Club. And the Frank Lloyd Wright-inspired dining facility not only offers up an impressive bit of architecture, but a wide range of excellent food and drinks as well.

[[Edited by 1PLUS1 on Thursday March 22, 2018 12:45 AM]]
 Message #87625 - This was a reply to message #87621
abbacat

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    N/A

Thursday March 22, 2018 1:23 AM
Desert Dunes and Escena are two of my area favorites.
 Message #87626 - This was a reply to message #87625
sparky14

Favorite Golfer:
    Ben Crenshaw
Favorite Golf Course:
    All except Shorecliffs

Thursday March 22, 2018 6:53 AM
Escena is a nice track. I also like Cimarron Boulder which is in that same $ range. Indian Canyons South is another nice course that might be in that price range by then. I recommend all of those.

I am not a Tahquitz Creek fan at all. Desert Dunes is supposed to be in good shape now, I've only played it in bad conditions with 1000 mph winds, so I can't offer a valid opinion on that one.

Terra Lago should be a bargain in April, I like those courses.

My recommendation: On April 16 - Eagle Falls drops to summer rates $55/$65. I'd place it above the others listed here.
 Message #87627 - This was a reply to message #87621
sixpez
SoCal Community Staff

sixpez: sixpez - Golf Normad GK Event: Played in a GK Event GK Cup: Past & Current Champions of The GK Cup

Favorite Golfer:
    Tend to root for Phil
Favorite Golf Course:
    Mt. Shasta Resort

Thursday March 22, 2018 8:32 AM
I would concur with any of these suggestions. You'll find that by mid-April, the prices will start to come down and good deals will be more easily found during the first part of the spring "shoulder season." Snowbirds will start leaving next month. As you get into late April and early May, you run into the music festivals (Coachella/Stagecoach). If you are not planning to stay the night (hotels will be VERY expensive on those weekends) and avoid the worst part of the traffic around Indio, some really good deals can usually be found on those weekends.
 Message #87629 - This was a reply to message #87627
140ver

Favorite Golfer:
    angel cabrera
Favorite Golf Course:
    trump scotland-GC only

Thursday March 22, 2018 11:46 AM
Desert Dunes, Cimarron, Terra Lago and Eagle Falls are all great, but they can get WINDY. If you like the challenge of a very stiff breeze or you're warming up for a Scotland or Bandon Dunes trip, don't even look at the weather. If a two club difference or aiming 30 yards left or right of the pin is not going to be fun, definitely do not play Desert Dunes if the wind is up. All of the other three will test you also, but DD will knock you over. If the wind is blowing of those mentioned The Dunes would be your best bet to stay away from the wind and Escena second. I think Cimarron is set up to play in wind with a links-style feel. If you can embrace the wind and not fret over a few - maybe a few more - strokes, it can be fun to try to hit that low runner.
 Message #87630 - This was a reply to message #87629
mlslaw

Favorite Golfer:
    Fred Couples
Favorite Golf Course:
    Rustic Canyon

Thursday March 22, 2018 7:45 PM
That's a beautiful Escena description 1plus1. I loved my round there but the wind picked up and made it tougher. Beautiful layout, challenging and great views. Eager to return.
 Message #87638 - This was a reply to message #87625
grantar2

Favorite Golfer:
    Danny Lee
Favorite Golf Course:
    Medowlark

Thursday March 22, 2018 11:40 PM
My game improvement irons favor a high ball flight. I can flight it down, but that isn't the natural shot shape the clubs want to give me. The less wind the better.
 Message #87642 - This was a reply to message #87638
aakes90278

Favorite Golfer:
    friends
Favorite Golf Course:
    Riviera

Friday March 23, 2018 9:01 AM
If the wind is predicted to blow i would head to Indian Canyons for sure!!
 Message #87649 - This was a reply to message #87642

Listing 1 to 10 of 11 Replies

PAGES: 2 1 2

[ Community Page ]