European Tour 'Shot Clock' Masters
GK Event: Played in a GK Event

Favorite Golfer:
    Jack & Jordan
Favorite Golf Course:
    Baltusrol

RPGC MAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Thursday June 7, 2018 11:45 AM
Happened to catch 20 minutes of the first round on The Golf Channel late last night. Anyone else?

Each golfer is on a 'shot clock' throughout the round. 50 seconds for the first to play each shot (e.g. tee, approach, chip, putts) and 40 seconds for each player following. Haven't sussed out when the first/each golfer is officially started on the clock, as in a few instances saw a player at their ball w/caddy for a bit before the 50 seconds actually started counting down. There are officials in each group, which can also speed up things on rulings in the group. I like the approach, but it seemed to not particularly threaten a buzzer/1-stroke penalty, except in one instance. American player (Chase Koepka) did take it down to zero/naught once. Each player can call for a 40-second extension twice in the round. Like the concept, but actually seems they could shorten the clock by 5-10 seconds further with no detriment to the golfers, as they typically were swinging with 20+ seconds left on the shot clock.

Not sure how much it actually sped up play, but sure we'll hear more about it during the rest of the tourney. Seems like something they should try stateside, particularly when J.B. Holmes is in contention. Maybe they can try it on the Web.com tour next year...

http://www.europeantour.com/europeantour/season=2018/tournamentid=20180 48/news/newsid=349569.html
 Message #88520
AndrewZ28
RE: European Tour 'Shot Clock' Masters

Favorite Golfer:
    Ben Hogan
Favorite Golf Course:
    La Purisima

Thursday June 7, 2018 3:26 PM
I absolutely LOVE this idea! There will be some refining but the concept is absolutely genius. I can guarantee scores won't change a lick and if you shortened the clock a bit more they'd even get better.

Kudos to the Euros!
 Message #88525 - This was a reply to message #88520
larryq2001

Favorite Golfer:
    Ernie Els
Favorite Golf Course:
    Bailey Creek

RPGC MAIL USER EMAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Friday June 8, 2018 7:45 AM
I did watch this also Lee and thought what a great idea. I applaud the Europeans for their progressive thinking. One of the announcers did comment on one group that I caught and finished in 3:51 which is not earth shattering but he compared it to 4:30-5:00 rounds which he mentioned is common with these guys. Didn’t hear comments from the players but I’m thinking they are liking the faster pace.

[[Edited by larryq2001 on Friday June 8, 2018 8:25 AM]]
 Message #88527 - This was a reply to message #88520
leef2020

Favorite Golfer:
    Jack & Jordan
Favorite Golf Course:
    Baltusrol

Friday June 8, 2018 2:43 PM
QUOTED  finished in 3:51 which is not earth shattering but he compared it to 4:30-5:00 rounds which he mentioned is common with these guys

Seems like it is working, then!

Should be a great opportunity for a watch company to sponsor a tournament?
 Message #88533 - This was a reply to message #88527
mlslaw

Favorite Golfer:
    Fred Couples
Favorite Golf Course:
    Rustic Canyon

Sunday June 10, 2018 4:22 PM
Saw a bit of it---think the shot clock will likely be shortened. Too long now. Can't tell what action actually triggers the clock starting. Was watching St Jude today and DJ really is deliberate on the green. The shot clock announces swear that the scores are lower with this format.
 Message #88545 - This was a reply to message #88533

Listing 1 to 5 of 5 Replies

PAGES: 1

[ Community Page ]