Discussions in --- Use This to POST ---
Moderated By CPennbo, JohnnyGK, Nickesquire, ringworld, weber2323

Forums
Greenskeeper.org
--- Use This to POST ---
New Wedges, how to prepare for MAX Spin?
YOUR SETTINGSLIST FORUMSLIST TOPICSSEARCH

TOPIC: New Wedges, how to prepare for MAX Spin?

PRINT TOPICSEND THIS TO A FRIEND

Listing 1 to 2 of 2 Replies

PAGES: 1
jciapa02
New Wedges, how to prepare for MAX Spin?

Favorite Golfer:
    Tiger Woods
Favorite Golf Course:
    Pending

RPGC MAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Saturday June 29, 2019 3:44 PM
So, as the topic states I bought new wedges long overdue, with grooves and milled faces finally visible again. I come here to ask , I've been playing my at least 4 year old wedges and bought the same lofts but what should I expect for the spin on full shots AND around the green?

With my old ones I still could predict the flight and spin even up to my last round, which would back up a few yards but I haven't played with fresh grooves since obviously my last wedges and I was a way less skilled player. So I'm very anxious to find out how much I can expect my short game to improve in the near future; but for my first round tomorrow and limited practice prefacing this round...what can I be prepared for and expect?

Basically, what tips can I take into my first few rounds with these new wedges to prepare for a fresh face and new clubs in general?

[[Edited by jciapa02 on Saturday June 29, 2019 3:52 PM]]
 Message #91691
1PLUS1
RE: New Wedges, how to prepare for MAX Spin?

GK Event: Played in a GK Event

Favorite Golfer:
    Seve; Nick Faldo
Favorite Golf Course:
    Belgrade Lakes (Maine)

RPGC MAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Saturday June 29, 2019 9:09 PM
Depends on a few factors but, based on newness alone, I would tend to think the new wedges will impart a higher degree of spin. While that may result in more bite on the greens, it could also lead to ballooning issues into the wind...and a resulting loss of distance...so be aware. I experienced this first-hand when I found I was unable to hit my 50-degree Mizuno wedge as far as my old Tad Moore 53-degree when I made the switch.

Another thing to keep in mind is this: if the spin rate is markedly higher than what you produced with the old wedges...resulting in more pull-back on the greens...you may have to adjust by hitting shots a bit further beyond the pin in order to leave yourself the desired putt.

One big advantage to being able to generate more backspin, even on less-than-full swings, is that it will allow you to hit those low, driving pitch and chip shots from the fairway and fringe area that bounce once or twice, grab, and literally stop on a dime. It's one of my favorite shots to hit and my Tourstage wedges allow me to literally throw darts out there when the greens are receptive.

And the type of ball you use should also be considered as there are some models whose spin rates register higher off the wedges than other designs. Overall, the best way to acclimate yourself to the new clubs is to just get out there and work with them, both on and off the course. Find a nice short-game practice area, put the wedges through their paces, develop some feel, and use your imagination. Follow that regimen and you'll be on your way to shaving a couple more shots off your index.
 Message #91694 - This was a reply to message #91691

Listing 1 to 2 of 2 Replies

PAGES: 1

[ Community Page ]