Discussions in --- Use This to POST ---
Moderated By CPennbo, JohnnyGK, Nickesquire, ringworld, weber2323

Forums
Greenskeeper.org
--- Use This to POST ---
Yardage posts ... bring them back?
YOUR SETTINGSLIST FORUMSLIST TOPICSSEARCH

TOPIC: Yardage posts ... bring them back?

PRINT TOPICSEND THIS TO A FRIEND

Listing 1 to 10 of 29 Replies

PAGES: 3 1 2 3
JohnnyGK
Yardage posts ... bring them back?

JohnnyGK

GK Event: Played in a GK Event

Favorite Golfer:
    GK'ers
Favorite Golf Course:
    Cascata

RPGC MAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Friday July 5, 2019 4:49 PM
I grew up playing where the only yardage indicators where the 100, 150 and 200 posts on each side of the fairway parallel to each other.

Now days I'm lucky to even see 150 yardage posts.

I miss them, do you?

I miss being able to take a quick glance at the posts, quick glace at the pin (red front, white middle and blue back) and have a great approximation as the yards I need to hit. I respect that many other golfers want precise yardage with GPS and Rangefinders. But for those of us that like to play off feel and a quick routine in deciding yardage the preciseness is not required.

I'm about halfway between the 100 and 150 yardage markers to a middle pin. Grab my 9-iron, make a good swing, go. The real work to hitting great iron shots in on the range knowing how far you hit your clubs. Knowing if I get into a 9-iron it goes 140 but lay off it a bit and it goes 120. Stock 9-iron 130.
GK FACEBOOK - Please check it out - CLICK HERE - I'm doing fun posts all the time.
 Message #91769
rob1563
RE: Yardage posts ... bring them back?

Southern Nevada Community Staff

Favorite Golfer:
    Ryan Moore
Favorite Golf Course:
    Wolf Creek

Friday July 5, 2019 10:25 PM
I'm not a fan of those 150 yard poles in the middle of the fairway (hit one dead center on a short par 5, ended up over 200 yards away). I still see lots of courses with fairway stones and fewer with the sprinkler markers (except Grizzly Ranch, who has a 76 yard sprinkler marker in the trees to the right of the path on 9). Palm Valley planted small palms on both side of the fairways at 150. I would love to see courses do something similar, especially if they can incorporate their name (branding!).
 Message #91777 - This was a reply to message #91769
Rat-Patrol

Favorite Golfer:
    My Grandpa was
Favorite Golf Course:
    Balboa Park GC

Saturday July 6, 2019 3:08 AM
Don't look back, never look back, and if you do close your eyes.
 Message #91782 - This was a reply to message #91778
Alex326

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    Pebble Beach

Saturday July 6, 2019 10:42 AM
I don't drive a 70's car nor ride a steel frame bike and I don't use a persimmons driver (though it wouldn't hurt my driving any). My point is technology has evolved and I embrace it. Using a range finder to me is like sending an email versus snail mail. Both will get the job done, just one is much faster through the use of technology.

It helps the pace of play and I actually think the PGA/LPGA should utilize range finders. The caddies are spot on with yardage the old school way by carefully pacing off every inch and knowing how far each rock/tree/bush is through their yardage books. Let's pick up the pace and let them shoot the yardage.

Here's a quick stat for you to consider: 115 rounds a year, 88 shots per round (minus 36 for putts) that's 6000 shots (rounded up). 3 seconds per shot to get yardage is 5 hours. Now add in another 30 seconds per shot to pace and...... you have just added 50 HOURS of time just to get yardage for the year!!!

I challenge anyone who isn't retired to justify the extra amount of time it takes to pace vs. a rangefinder.

Golf is challenging enough (IMO).
 Message #91784 - This was a reply to message #91782
Rat-Patrol

Favorite Golfer:
    My Grandpa was
Favorite Golf Course:
    Balboa Park GC

Saturday July 6, 2019 12:28 PM
Alex, that's what I just said.
 Message #91785 - This was a reply to message #91784
leef2020

Favorite Golfer:
    Jack & Jordan
Favorite Golf Course:
    Baltusrol

Saturday July 6, 2019 1:14 PM
No, but I do usually aim at those white/black fairway posts at Black Gold, The Crossings and San Juan Hills off the tees.

100/150/200 yardage markers in the middle of the fairways are still very common on the courses I play. Tijeras Creek and The Crossings at Carlsbad also have yardages often stamped on the sprinkler heads. TC has front/middle/back yardages on them, Crossings just to the middle, if I recall correctly. Stakes probably slow down the maintenance crews.

I really like the GPS units, as it helps on hazard distances. With my game, its more about course management/hazard avoidance than sticking it on the pin from the fairway at a particular yardage!
 Message #91786 - This was a reply to message #91769
JohnnyGK

JohnnyGK

Favorite Golfer:
    GK'ers
Favorite Golf Course:
    Cascata

Sunday July 7, 2019 8:23 AM
QUOTED  I'm not a fan of those 150 yard poles in the middle of the fairway (hit one dead center on a short par 5, ended up over 200 yards away).

Personally I don't like the "candy canes" in the middle. I like the thin stakes on either side of the fairway. Red, White and Blue.

QUOTED  Don't look back, never look back, and if you do close your eyes.

Not looking back. All for advances. But why get rid of something that is still helpful to some of us?

QUOTED  Here's a quick stat for you to consider: 115 rounds a year, 88 shots per round (minus 36 for putts) that's 6000 shots (rounded up). 3 seconds per shot to get yardage is 5 hours. Now add in another 30 seconds per shot to pace and...... you have just added 50 HOURS of time just to get yardage for the year!!!

I agree. Pacing takes time. Looking for a sprinkler head with yards takes time. Glancing a distance between markers for a casual golfer and picking a club saves time. You'll notice when we play if a course has stake markers I'm not asking for yardage, LOL. Its not my routine to carry a rangefinder or GPS. And I don't want to make it my routine. Why add to my routine? I don't want to get that technical out there. If the golf course provides free GPS on the carts, I'll use it because I can take a quick a glance at it and pick my club.
GK FACEBOOK - Please check it out - CLICK HERE - I'm doing fun posts all the time.
 Message #91790 - This was a reply to message #91786
24hourgolf

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    N/A

RPGC MAIL USER ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Sunday July 7, 2019 11:04 AM
Funny? Growing up, the yardage markers were the small (growing larger over time) Cypress tress, located at 150 yards from the green. You will still find them on some of the older courses in S CA (many courses have removed them, or they died, necessitating removal). I like the Blue, White, Red small domed discs in the fairways. I do like a 150 pole in fairways, on courses I am not familiar with (also can be used as guiding pole). I am not a fan of using a GPS device, for the reason it takes time and I might lose it? Of course I like a GPS in the carts. But I just recently purchased the Voice Caddie (got a great deal at $60 online) which clips to your hat or belt. While it only gives you yardage to the hole (from wherever you are standing on the hole), that is sufficient for me. I know which club I can or cannot hit from various yardages, from many years of playing.
 Message #91791 - This was a reply to message #91790
Alex326

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    Pebble Beach

Sunday July 7, 2019 11:16 AM
I do agree that the having the red/white/blue markers on the side is handy. Even with a range finder it's nice. There are times when my cart partner is off to one side and I'm on the other. Knowing an approximate distance with the markers allows me to grab two clubs and the range finder while heading off for my walk.

Seeing other posts about how courses use trees and rocks to mark the yardage, I'm curious if other courses have gone to this style of concealment markings and we haven't noticed? I usually don't worry about it because I use the rangefinder, but now I'm going to start paying more attention.
 Message #91794 - This was a reply to message #91791
t8fish

Favorite Golfer:
    My Dad
Favorite Golf Course:
    Wykagyl GC

Sunday July 7, 2019 12:09 PM
To each his own, but I'm fully in Johnny's camp on this.

I pace off my yards and maybe it speaks somehow to the quality of course I play, but I find it very rare to be on a course that doesn't have monuments in the fairway, stakes or poles marking 100/150/200. If the the sprinkler heads are marked, that is a bonus. I consider pacing off my distances part of the challenge of playing the course and organically owning my game. It enhances my experience and satisfaction when I hit my club square and the result is on target based on my estimates. And frankly, it isn't that hard. I compare my estimates with players using rangefinders and it's usually within a couple of yards.

It helps that I walk, but to those who throw out the time saving angle of range finders I respectfully say bulls**t in the case of walkers. As I am approaching my ball on or near the fairway, when I pass the last marker before I reach my ball I start pacing down and checking the flag (red, white, or blue). An outside observer only sees me walking directly to my ball. When I arrive at my ball, I have my distance to the middle, make a quick estimate for the pin position, and pull a club. I do this more quickly than the players I see fumbling for their finders, checking and double checking their numbers. Some utilize rangefinders more smoothly than others, but the assumption that someone with a rangefinder is inherently quicker to settle on a number than someone like me is a fallacy.

I'll grant you, that using a cart complicates things and having a rangefinder or in-cart yardage system usually makes much more sense than getting out of the cart after finding a measuring point from which to pace. On the occasion I have to use a cart, I'll use the rangefinder if it is equipped with one.

Technology is fine if it helps you, and if you feel the need, go right ahead. I sure like it in my clubs. But the subjective subtleties of what constitutes enjoyment on a golf course are not always lockstep with technological advancement. Carts are common technology but you can't use them on some high end courses. What are those courses saying about the place of a common and typically available technology relative to the game experience?

I think the game can accommodate all of us. For me, yardage posts never went away.

[[Edited by t8fish on Tuesday July 9, 2019 11:26 AM]]
 Message #91797 - This was a reply to message #91790

Listing 1 to 10 of 29 Replies

PAGES: 3 1 2 3

[ Community Page ]