mlslaw
Do you say something?

Favorite Golfer:
    Fred Couples
Favorite Golf Course:
    Rustic Canyon

RPGC MAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Monday September 9, 2019 3:03 PM
First mistake was going out as a 2 some. On the third hole, the marshall rode up and sed another 2 some would be joining us. Ok, we sed, no problem. Except there was a problem. One of the joiners set a record time over the ball before starting his takeaway---I counted 18 seconds, an effing eternity. Hard to say what was going on in this guy's head. Fear, swing thots, Kevin Na, I don't know. Plus, and aside from this malady, the guy was just pretty bad.

Do you say something? We chose not to thinking there was no way that this guy would somehow "find" the key to unlock is frigidity just on our say so. I was tempted to say something after the round but still couldn't bring myself to pull that trigger. Guess I just didn't want to hurt his feelings and say something he already knew. How could he not know?

What would you have done? (course was full so there was no where to go)
 Message #92342
RDDenn
RE: Do you say something?

GK Event: Played in a GK Event

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    Barona Creek

Monday September 9, 2019 4:38 PM
Would have grinned and bore it. And I would not have watched him when he was over the ball. Turned my back, watched the intended line of travel. Whatever, I refuse to watch a statue over a ball.
 Message #92343 - This was a reply to message #92342
Stone8

Favorite Golfer:
    Phil and Freddy
Favorite Golf Course:
    Goose Creek

Monday September 9, 2019 7:49 PM
If its crowded and you would just hurry up and wait, I would also not watch and say nothing.

Only time was playing afternoon weekday golf at Industry Hills with a good Customer of mine and we were paired with two guys that were very slow, especially on the greens, on the third hole on the Babe as one guy walked around His 8 foot putt from all four directions and then plumbed the line before addressing the putt, after He missed I said "Hey Guys, unless you two are playing for $100.00 per hole you really need to speed up your game" They decided to play behind us as a twosome. No hard feelings.
 Message #92344 - This was a reply to message #92342
icu2often

Favorite Golfer:
    ?
Favorite Golf Course:
    None yet

Tuesday September 10, 2019 6:08 AM
First of all it wasn't a mistake to go out as 2some. Players like going out with just there buddy but on the third hole, why? How strick is the course in not letting only 2somes play? obviously it must of been okay if that is the way you were both sent out. Were you guys falling behind the group in front? If not I would of ask the Marshall "Why"? But the answer to your question is "Yes" I would of said something to "J.B. Holmes" but only if you were falling way behind the group ahead of you and if the Marshall were to say something as to why you broke off the two some. I would of explain to him the reason why and that his job is "Customer Service" that means to accommodate the courses paying customers to the fullest satisfaction at the time of play. Beside he should be looking for golf balls in some bush or looking for alumni cans in the trash like most Marshalls do. Most of the time you will find the Marshalls asleep in some corner of the course and not over seeing the flow of pace.

[[Edited by icu2often on Tuesday September 10, 2019 4:58 PM]]
 Message #92346 - This was a reply to message #92342
24hourgolf

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    N/A

RPGC MAIL USER ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Tuesday September 10, 2019 8:48 AM
QUOTED  Would have grinned and bore it. And I would not have watched him when he was over the ball. Turned my back, watched the intended line of travel. Whatever, I refuse to watch a statue over a ball.

what else can you do. perhaps you could hit before him/her? but doubt that was the case. It has happened to all of us at one time or another playing golf. And remember, we/you might have been just like that when we/you started?
 Message #92348 - This was a reply to message #92343
Nickesquire

Favorite Golfer:
    Jack, Freddie, Tiger
Favorite Golf Course:
    Maderas Olivas Sherwood

Tuesday September 10, 2019 9:21 AM
Mistake going out as a 2some? Absolutely not, you should be glad you have a consistent buddy to play with.

With no where to go on a packed course, most would agree that you are stuck.

My overwhelming history would be to say nothing and try to make the best of it. If I tee off, 99.99% of the time I am finishing my round, so walking off is not a viable option for me. I have already allocated the $$$ and the time, so barring weather, injury or darkness, I am finishing what I started.

I also sometimes try not to watch select people I get matched up with. Unless it is Phil Mickelson, I almost never watch a lefty swing. Mickelson has a beautiful swing, but almost any other lefty just looks off to me.

Almost sounds like brain overload, where they are mentally going through some sort of long checklist before they play each shot?
The goal is long and straight! But since I can no longer hit them long, could I at least hit them straighter?
 Message #92349 - This was a reply to message #92348
mlslaw

Favorite Golfer:
    Fred Couples
Favorite Golf Course:
    Rustic Canyon

Tuesday September 10, 2019 10:01 AM
We're talking River Ridge. And we weren't falling behind. There were 4somes ahead and we were waiting so it was logical to pair up two 2somes. If I had it to do over again, I would have told the other two that we should just break it up and play as 2somes based on "rhythm." But at the time it just seemed like we just had to stick it out. Live and learn, I guess. The more interesting question is what causes a person to stay frozen over the ball for so long. Is hitting a golf ball really that scary? Performance anxiety?
 Message #92350 - This was a reply to message #92349
Rat-Patrol

Favorite Golfer:
    My Grandpa was
Favorite Golf Course:
    Balboa Park GC

Tuesday September 10, 2019 5:12 PM
Sir Charles . . . Kevin Na . . . Sergio Garcia . . . Keith Lindsey?
 Message #92355 - This was a reply to message #92350
kviser

SoCal Community Staff

GK Event: Played in a GK Event LA-GK-Meetup-Winner: LA GK Meetup Winner

Favorite Golfer:
    Fred Couples
Favorite Golf Course:
    River Ridge

Thursday September 12, 2019 9:24 AM
QUOTED  One of the joiners set a record time over the ball before starting his takeaway---I counted 18 seconds

Dude! My brother and I once were placed with a guy who took a solid 30 seconds over the ball before he started a ridiculous practice swing routine!

I drove myself crazy counting in my head. I had to turn and walk off the green or tee box to keep from losing my mind!

I never said anything to that guy, either.

I think, going forward, I would say something like, "Hey, buddy, nice to meet you, but my pal and I would like to just play ahead if it's okay with you. You are taking too long to hit the ball and it's ruining my natural rhythm."

[[Edited by kviser on Thursday September 12, 2019 9:25 AM]]
 Message #92370 - This was a reply to message #92342
ringworld

Community Director

GK Event: Played in a GK Event ringworld-blog: golfing guru ringworld blog

Favorite Golfer:
    Rory Mcilroy he's peachy
Favorite Golf Course:
    Spanish Bay Pebble Beach

Thursday September 12, 2019 9:56 AM
Don't let another player's game interfere with your game. It's that simple. Think of it this way. Playing a match and your competitor slows down play. You could call him on it but then you tip them off and let them know it's affecting your game. Why give them the satisfaction?

Hate to say this but you grin and bear it. You play classy and not let it affect you and you can play well yourself.
Work Hard. Play Golf! www.ace-cases.com
Oh yeah, I blog too: www.golfing-guru.com

Know before you go.... golfing with Greenskeeper.org!
 Message #92371 - This was a reply to message #92370

Listing 1 to 10 of 10 Replies

PAGES: 1

[ Community Page ]