Golf AM Tour
GK Event: Played in a GK Event

Favorite Golfer:
    Jack-Freddie-Tiger-Rory
Favorite Golf Course:
    Maderas Olivas Sherwood

RPGC MAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Saturday January 18, 2020 6:26 PM
The Golf AM Tour. The concept sounds interesting, and they have alot of events close to the Palm Springs area that would be convenient for me to participate in.

Anyone have any expertience with the Golf AM Tour?

[[Edited by Nickesquire on Monday January 20, 2020 7:05 AM]]
The goal has always been long and straight! But since I can no longer hit them long, hopefully straighter could be achieved more than occasionally?
 Message #93226
mpisarski01
RE: Golf AM Tour

Favorite Golfer:
    John Daly
Favorite Golf Course:
    Grizzly Ranch

Saturday January 18, 2020 6:32 PM
We played right before them at Half Moon bay and the first tee had 6 groups arguing who would go first and when we were in the fairway two people hit driver and hit us. I dont know for sure if all of their events are disorganized on the tee but that was just my experience with them.
 Message #93227 - This was a reply to message #93226
Itslikeimsayin

Favorite Golfer:
    Phil Mickelson
Favorite Golf Course:
    DragonRidge CC

Saturday January 18, 2020 7:34 PM
One time at Maderas, I got paired with a guy who played in lots of their events and seemed to really enjoy it. Unfortunately that's the extent of my input. Sounds sorta cool.
 Message #93228 - This was a reply to message #93226
roarksown1

Favorite Golfer:
    Whoever's with me playing
Favorite Golf Course:
    Bighorn Golf Club

Sunday January 19, 2020 11:42 PM
Heard it's fun but pricey ...
 Message #93234 - This was a reply to message #93226
Nickesquire

Favorite Golfer:
    Jack-Freddie-Tiger-Rory
Favorite Golf Course:
    Maderas Olivas Sherwood

Monday January 20, 2020 7:39 AM
Some hi-lites from looking over their online handbook:

$199 annual fee to enroll and you get some SWAG in the deal. Must be currently enrolled to be eligible to play in their tournaments.

Strict adherance to USGA rules, including POP penalties.

Tournaments are what most would consider pricey. Seems to cover golf, lunch and prizes. Well defined prize fund paid out proportionally in gift certificates so as not to challenge amateur status.

Progressive points earned in each local tournament that would qualify you for regional and national tournaments. Points can be accumulated for a maximum of 12 tournaments. If you play in more than 12 tournaments, the top 12 tournaments you accumulation points apply.

Handicap ranges that group players within roughly 4 into flights where you compete with others in that range. If you improve or do better than your initial handicap suggests, you earn a "battle promotion" up to the next higher flight. They have both senior (55+) and regular flights for each handicap range.

Range of tees based on skill level. For players in roughly the 10 index range, depending on course they listed a range of 6000 - 6600 yards for the under 55 players, and 5800 - 6300 yards for the 55+ players.

If there are a limited amount of players in your index range in a particular tournament, the under 55 and over 55 groups may be combined but you would always be competing against players in the same index range.

Nice tournament schedule. Upcoming tournaments listed at half a dozen Palm Springs courses along with numerous courses up/down the CA coast. Most were at what I would consider to be above average to excellent courses.

This format is obviously most suited for the amateur who has the time and means to travel around a bit and experience competition against other players in their skill range.
The goal has always been long and straight! But since I can no longer hit them long, hopefully straighter could be achieved more than occasionally?
 Message #93235 - This was a reply to message #93234
Andrew1

Favorite Golfer:
    Ben Hogan
Favorite Golf Course:
    PGA West, Nicklaus Tourna

Monday January 20, 2020 7:48 AM
I play with a "Am tour" player and yes "Its very pricey" with a lot of traveling involved from event to event especially if you wish to play in there "Majors" where most of their Majors are out of State. My buddy says that a very large potion of the players are Rich Retirees or Own their own business which allows them to travel far and pay these high ridiculous registration fees. At most events its very "Disorganized". There are NO Rules officials on the Course, every one is on there own when it comes to the Rules and from what am told, players dont know the rules. My opinion is your better off having your own 4some or 2some group and having your own event at your local course. At one time I considered playing in the am tour event but after being told about how its ran by certain Chapter organizers I decided not too.
 Message #93236 - This was a reply to message #93226
dconnally

GK Event: Played in a GK Event GK Cup: Past & Current Champions of The GK Cup

Favorite Golfer:
    Arnie
Favorite Golf Course:
    Oak Quarry; Tobiano

Monday January 20, 2020 9:00 AM
A few years ago I joined and played in a couple of their Southern CA events. I used it as an opportunity to play some better SoCal courses (Barona, Santaluz Club) and see how I would perform in a higher-pressure tournament situation (LOL). There are 'chapters' in Socal (San Diego, Los Angeles, Palm Springs, etc.) Each has their own events, but members can enter other areas events as well, so there is overlap in the pool of players.

The events I attended were well-organized. Smooth check-in, pairings posted, starter/announcer, leaderboards. Players are grouped in flights based on USGA handicaps.

There are stated prizes for the flights - 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and more based on the number of participants. There are formal and informal side games - a Skins game in each flight, etc.

It's basically run like a PGA Tour event. Play the rules. Sign your scorecard.

I saw many of the same people at the two events and listening to on-course discussions noted that many of these players are very active in the scheduled events that the AmTour sponsors in the region. So it helps to have adequate cash and plenty of free time.

As Nick noted you have access to other regions, some regional events are multi-day and designated as 'majors', and year-end events bring together active players for 'national' championships.

This is a format for serious players. With prizes and Skins Games, there's an opportunity to at least pay for your green fees and expenses. There's the opportunity to move up to bigger things. If you put pressure on yourself like I do, there's plenty of opportunity to fail spectacularly(!). If you aren't into this type of thing, your local course and group may be your preferred thing.

In the long run I didn't have the desire to pay the annual dues and do the driving necessary to reach many of the local tourneys.
Remember, we could be at work!!
 Message #93237 - This was a reply to message #93236
Hollis

Favorite Golfer:
    Not sure
Favorite Golf Course:
    Goosecreekgc gc

Monday January 20, 2020 10:03 AM
I haven't played in any gcam tour events yet, but intend to start regularly in the next month or two. As far as info stated above, I'll only add, that when I spoke with the Palm Springs tour director, she informed me that participants are allowed 2 entries prior to membership payment. So you can try it out for 2 events before joining.
That said, the reason I'm moving over from scga events to the gcam tour is the net score issues. Scga events are heavily influenced by the strokes a particular player is given. The winners are often aided by this format. Low index players have to have the round of their life to have a chance usually! Gcam is effectively grouping players with an index very close to each other and whoever is playing their best that day will usually win. BTW, THE INDEXES ARE CREATE THRU TOURNEY EVENTS ONLY! This is a fool proof sandbagging deterrent!
I've taken a good look at the winning scores for both SCGA one day series events and Gcam to events; in Gcam events the winning players were usually 1 and 3 strokes of their index, on a few the winners were 1 or 2 under. With the SCGA one day events, the winners are at very least usually 8-13 strokes under their index! That's assuming those indexes are correct and valid, lol.
Final thought, in the last event I played at Sierra Lakes the wind was blowing at 20+mph, the winner shot -8. Now think about your own index and what you would have had to shoot to compete. But again, I'm sure everyone index was legit...
 Message #93238 - This was a reply to message #93237
sbarajasjr

Favorite Golfer:
    Lee Trevino
Favorite Golf Course:
    Aviara

Monday January 20, 2020 10:13 AM
QUOTED  The Golf AM Tour. The concept sounds interesting, and they have alot of events close to the Palm Springs area that would be convenient for me to participate in.

As long as this is run better than the Under Armour "tour" events, it should be fun and worth it. The One-Day Series from the SCGA are fun events that are run well, although I did run into an issue with a player turned rules official in our group a few years ago at an Individual Net event at Goose Creek. He took it upon himself to try and correct every issue he saw fit from the first tee shot until we finished the last hole, ultimately shooting worse than me, despite being a single digit handicap.

I can only assume the Golf AM tour will be the same (after reading the email I got too). Sounds fun but like a good investment of time and money, but hey if it offers fun competition and a chance to play some good clubs, I say do it!
 Message #93239 - This was a reply to message #93226

Listing 1 to 9 of 9 Replies

PAGES: 1

[ Community Page ]