Community Director/Women

GK Event: Played in a GK Event

Favorite Golfer:
    Mickelson
Favorite Golf Course:
    Eagle Falls/Balboa

RPGC MAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Saturday March 14, 2020 6:32 PM
Ok this is - What can we, as golfers, do to minimize our risk while still getting out to play?

1. WASH YOUR HANDS- LOTS. The issue isnt' just while on the course but getting TO and FROM the course. That gas nozzle you picked up? So did dozens of others. The door you opened at the pro shop? Yeah, repeat. etc.

2. Take your own wipes in a zip lock. Use whenever you feel necessary. Don't rely on others to take care of this necessary step!

3. Don't touch your face! Yes, this virus can ONLY replicate in your nasal passages, throat, or lungs. So don't put it within reach! (there's discussion among the experts about whether or not even touching your hat is too close.)

4. Wash your hands or use hand sanitizer after every hole. Why? GUYS SPIT. Sick guys spit more. Golf balls roll right through it. Yeah, ICK. Use hand sanitizer!

5. If you aren't feeling good, headache? cough? sneezing? nausea? fever? STAY HOME. Even if it IS the GK cup. STAY HOME. Please. I'll buy you a trophy!

6. If you have underlying conditions and are over 60- please stay home. We are all part of the GK community. Each of you is important to the rest of us. We care and we all want to come through this as a TEAM with flying colors. Nothing is worth losing one of you. Weigh the issues and err on the side of caution.

I want to play a HUGE GK Event when this is all over where we can hug and high five to our hearts content. Until then, BE SAFE!
Chris

[[Edited by CPennbo on Saturday March 14, 2020 8:06 PM]]
New Year's Resolution- HAVE MORE FUN, DO MORE, SEE MORE, LAUGH MORE!
 Message #93947
michaelko
RE: Golfer Self - Care
NorCal Community Staff

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    N/A

Saturday March 14, 2020 6:50 PM
don't shake hands or hug after the round

i don't care if you get an ace! no high fives

don't drink someone else's beer

i'd say #4 is overkill, especially if you follow #3, but whatever makes you feel safe
 Message #93948 - This was a reply to message #93947
kviser

SoCal Community Staff

GK Event: Played in a GK Event LA-GK-Meetup-Winner: LA GK Meetup Winner

Favorite Golfer:
    Fred Couples
Favorite Golf Course:
    River Ridge

Saturday March 14, 2020 6:55 PM
Chris,
I’m giving you a big hug after all this is over!

Sh!ts getting crazy out there! Toilet paper? Paper towels? Bottled water? All the prepackaged and processed food your cart can hold?

WTF?

I just want to go to the grocery store and buy my few days’ worth of meat and produce and not stand in line among a bunch of paranoid idiots.
 Message #93949 - This was a reply to message #93947
CPennbo

Community Director/Women

Favorite Golfer:
    Mickelson
Favorite Golf Course:
    Eagle Falls/Balboa

Saturday March 14, 2020 8:09 PM
QUOTED  Chris,
I’m giving you a big hug after all this is over!

Can't wait, Kev!

QUOTED 
i'd say #4 is overkill, especially if you follow #3, but whatever makes you feel safe

You'd think, right? But the WHO and other countries who are out ahead of this are saying Americans aren't taking this seriously enough. Seems that boomers especially aren't taking it very seriously. So I told myself anything I can do to make myself safer I will do!
 Message #93950 - This was a reply to message #93949
t8fish

Favorite Golfer:
    My Dad
Favorite Golf Course:
    Wykagyl GC

Sunday March 15, 2020 11:42 AM
With the understanding that we need to take reasonable precautions and work/life patterns are going to be altered for a while, I don't understand the panicked buying crap.

With regard to that, I heard Mayor Garcetti speaking on a radio interview and he made a good point. All the stores are reporting that they have plenty of long term supplies and food in the warehouse and supply chains. They are getting and continuing regular daily deliveries, but generally not changing that to accommodate the crazy buying. Fairly soon, people will have found enough toilet paper and stocked up enough food to reassure themselves, or purchased as much as their budget will allow. In other words, this should peak fairly quickly and then find a point of equilibrium.

Based on that, I suspect it be a matter of days before the panic buying has played itself out. If you don't really need something (like toilet paper) right now, you will probably have no issue finding and buying it soon enough.

To keep this relevant with the main point of the thread, when I played yesterday at Penmar with a twosome, we settled for fist bumps over handshakes and, while it was never commented on, the flag was never touched/pulled, which is something that seems to happen more often these days anyway.

[[Edited by t8fish on Sunday March 15, 2020 11:44 AM]]
 Message #93952 - This was a reply to message #93950
CPennbo

Community Director/Women

Favorite Golfer:
    Mickelson
Favorite Golf Course:
    Eagle Falls/Balboa

Sunday March 15, 2020 12:20 PM
QUOTED  Fairly soon, people will have found enough toilet paper and stocked up enough food to reassure themselves, or purchased as much as their budget will allow.

Some of that problem is the CDC and the WHO have both recommended that people have one months supply of everything they need. They aren't wrong. Italy shut down their supermarkets. The experts are all saying if we dont' stay home and practice social distancing this could get REALLY bad really quick. None of us have ever experienced anything like it so it's hard to lend credence to their warnings. I am not an expert so I listen carefully when those who are issue warnings- especially the kind that make us uncomfortable because it must be hard to tell the world what they don't want to hear.
 Message #93953 - This was a reply to message #93952
SBogey

SoCal Community Staff

Favorite Golfer:
    Phil/Day/
Favorite Golf Course:
    Eagle Falls

Monday March 16, 2020 8:57 AM
In regards to #4 I must raise my hand and admit I am guilty of doing just that. Not on the green of course but along the way as it "comes up" so to speak! I figure I will pick up the ball wipe it off with either a wet towel or more likely a disinfectant wipe along with my hands just to be safe. I really want to get out and golf and this seems a very practical way to protect myself and others. I also promise, no more spitting. I will take tissue as well and keep it to myself!
 Message #93958 - This was a reply to message #93953
DarkHorse
RE: Golfer Self-Care

Favorite Golfer:
    Tiger Woods, Mike Weir
Favorite Golf Course:
    Rancho, Rustic Canyon

Monday March 16, 2020 11:59 AM
Thanks for the message and everything you listed is valuable.

I played midday on Sunday, and it was crowded and yet eerie.

I will definitely take in account item #4 and try to make it a habit. Something extra to add to the golf bag.
 Message #93964 - This was a reply to message #93947
ringworld

Community Director

GK Event: Played in a GK Event ringworld-blog: golfing guru ringworld blog

Favorite Golfer:
    Rory Mcilroy he's peachy
Favorite Golf Course:
    Spanish Bay Pebble Beach

Thursday March 19, 2020 1:52 AM
One thing no one is really talking about is what we can do in addition to all the hand washing, self distancing, and no face touching.

It's building up your immunity.

Remember this is cold and flu season too. Build up your immunity with fruits and vegetables. It's funny really not even the Public Health Department is discussing this really basic fact.

I have been forced to go to a lot of supermarkets both local and big box. It's remarkable to see the fruits and vegetable sections fully stocked and yet the meat sections, cereal, dairy and and of course paper products are barren. I mean it's laughable. The quickest road to recovery if you do get sick this season is to build up that immunity. Eat an apple. Eat a banana. Heck eat several pieces of fruit. Make your meals 30% vegetable and fruit and you can almost guarantee if you do get sick you will give your body enough ammunition to fight off whatever may come its way.

The terrible fact is that COVID-19 is here. Nothing we can do about it. But we can limit its spread and we can protect our bodies. We can limit the spread if we are diligent with those guidelines provided by the CDC. We can further stack the deck in our favor if you EAT YOUR FRUITS and VEGETABLES. It's that simple really. Well that and do healthier things like more sleep, exercise and in my case -- stop smoking

Good Luck.

Be safe. Play Smart.

FYI:
Golf Digest: https://www.golfdigest.com/story/can-you-play-golf-amid-coronavirus-concerns-with-proper-precautions-yes
Golf Magazine: https://www.golf.com/news/2020/03/14/playing-golf-coronavirus-expert/
GK Blog: Hand Sanitizer https://blog.greenskeeper.org/how-to-make-homemade-hand-sanitizer/
GK Blog: Disinfectant https://blog.greenskeeper.org/how-to-make-homemade-disinfectant/
Work Hard. Play Golf! www.ace-cases.com
Oh yeah, I blog too: www.golfing-guru.com

Know before you go.... golfing with Greenskeeper.org!
 Message #94034 - This was a reply to message #93964
mdames

Favorite Golfer:
    Phil
Favorite Golf Course:
    Pebble Beach Golf Links

Thursday March 19, 2020 11:38 AM
Good Advice Ringworld.
 Message #94046 - This was a reply to message #94034