leedabord
Unplayable Lie Rule

Favorite Golfer:
    Payne Stewart
Favorite Golf Course:
    Los Verdes, CA

RPGC MAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Wednesday September 20, 2017 10:52 PM
I think I found an incorrect interpretation of this rule at this link from GHIN.com ... it says that one can call Unplayable for a bunker shot and seems to imply that the ball can be next played from outside the bunker. The only option for playing from outside the bunker is to take the "stroke and distance" penalty, right? Can't use the option of 2-club lengths or going far back in line with the flag. Am I correct?

http://www.ghin.com/eclubhouse/uploadedimages/News/1442_24142_2%20-%20U nplayable%20Lie%20Rule.pdf
 Message #85674
Andrew1
RE: Unplayable Lie Rule
GK Event: Played in a GK Event

Favorite Golfer:
    Ben Hogan
Favorite Golf Course:
    PGA West, Nicklaus Tourna

Thursday September 21, 2017 4:03 AM
A lot of players have difficultly getting out of a bunker and so they can (if they wish) with stroke and distance take the "unplayable" ruling. One option is to Re-hit from where your last previous shot was last made only if you choose to play outside the bunker rule 27-1 or under rule 28. You can also take a unplayable in the bunker 2 clubs length's right or left (ball must be dropped in the bunker) or (while also staying in the bunker) take the ball as far back as you wish while keeping the flag in line with the ball again (drop must be made in the bunker). The only problem with re-dropping in the bunker is that your ball will sometimes plug making your situation worst or your third option is to "play it where it lies" (no penalty) and yes you can also clean your ball before re-dropping.

[[Edited by Andrew1 on Thursday September 21, 2017 4:11 AM]]
 Message #85676 - This was a reply to message #85674
CPennbo

Community Director/Women

Favorite Golfer:
    Annika/Mickelson
Favorite Golf Course:
    Balboa

Thursday September 21, 2017 9:07 PM
Hey if Sergio can call interference and ask for relief when facing AWAY from the pin, drop the ball (twice), and then hit it in the other direction where there was NEVER interference then anyone can do anything with the rules. Why not move it out of the bunker?
New Year's Resolution- HAVE MORE FUN, DO MORE, SEE MORE, LAUGH MORE!
 Message #85685 - This was a reply to message #85676
sammy3

Favorite Golfer:
    Tommy Bolt
Favorite Golf Course:
    Pebble

Friday September 22, 2017 7:08 PM
If they implement the new rule in 2019, you will be able to take a drop outside the bunker, no nearer the hole with a 2 stroke penalty.
 Message #85692 - This was a reply to message #85676
weber2323
SoCal Community Staff

Favorite Golfer:
    David Duval
Favorite Golf Course:
    La Jolla Country Club

Friday September 22, 2017 7:52 PM
If you have an unplayable lie can the ball be dropped in a lateral hazard and played out of it?
 Message #85693 - This was a reply to message #85692
Nickesquire

Favorite Golfer:
    Jack, Freddie, Tiger
Favorite Golf Course:
    Olivas Nicklaus T Maderas

Friday September 22, 2017 8:09 PM
Believe I am correct that there is no such thing as an unplayable lie in a red or yellow hazard. The red or yellow water rule(s) would be utilized instead of the unplayable lie rule(s).

I also think that you cannot legally drop into a hazard from an unplayable lie. Should the drop roll into the hazard, you redrop or place the ball after the maximum amount of drops are exhausted.

Also 99% sure that if you take an unplayable lie in a sand trap, you have to remain IN the trap. No closer to the hole, + 1 stroke if you declare the ball unplayable.
The goal is long and straight! But on the many times I cannot seem to hit them straight, I at least want to hit them long!
 Message #85694 - This was a reply to message #85693
sngernz

Favorite Golfer:
    Bubba!
Favorite Golf Course:
    Spyglass Hill

Saturday September 23, 2017 7:08 AM
QUOTED  Also 99% sure that if you take an unplayable lie in a sand trap, you have to remain IN the trap. No closer to the hole, + 1 stroke if you declare the ball unplayable.

Nick, Andrew made this true statement:
QUOTED  A lot of players have difficultly getting out of a bunker and so they can (if they wish) with stroke and distance take the "unplayable" ruling. One option is to Re-hit from where your last previous shot was last made only if you choose to play outside the bunker rule 27-1 or under rule 28.

QUOTED  Hey if Sergio can call interference and ask for relief when facing AWAY from the pin, drop the ball (twice), and then hit it in the other direction where there was NEVER interference then anyone can do anything with the rules. Why not move it out of the bunker?

Chris, I watched that 20 minute ordeal ... painful to witness but with what was on the line, pure genius move by Sergio.
 Message #85700 - This was a reply to message #85694

Listing 1 to 7 of 7 Replies

PAGES: 1

[ Community Page ]