BrianH
Oak Quarry or Goose Creek

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    N/A

RPGC MAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Monday March 12, 2018 10:17 PM
Taking a break from my normal rotation in the Ventura area and heading to the riverside area for a round. Have somewhat narrowed down the choices to these two courses.

I know both are supposed to be amazing and that it will be personal preference. But which course do you prefer and why?

It will be the day before Goose punches the greens and two and a half weeks after the greens were punched at Oak Quarry. My friend going with me has also been struggling to break 100 lately due to errant drives and I don’t want him to get frustrated and dismiss future recommendations for new courses to play.

Thanks for the input.
 Message #87475
Nickesquire
RE: Oak Quarry or Goose Creek
GK Event: Played in a GK Event

Favorite Golfer:
    Jack, Freddie, Tiger
Favorite Golf Course:
    Maderas Olivas Sherwood

Monday March 12, 2018 10:24 PM
Goose Creek will be better for your friend.

I think Goose Creek is a fun layout to play, it suits my eye. Not as visually stimulating as Oak Quarry, but a better course for a higher handicap player.
The goal is long and straight! But on the many times I cannot seem to hit them straight, I at least want to hit them long!
 Message #87476 - This was a reply to message #87475
t8fish

Favorite Golfer:
    My Dad
Favorite Golf Course:
    Wykagyl GC

Monday March 12, 2018 10:36 PM
Your premises tip your hand as to which is the better choice for you.

I appreciate the consistency of the conditions, the quality and the general playability of The Goose, but all things being equal, I would take Oak Quarry in a heartbeat if I had to choose between them. The bunkers not withstanding, OQ conditions are usually pretty good and the layout is much more interesting, verging on dramatic in places.

But all things are not equal. The Goose is going to be more forgiving to accommodate your friend, and if it was a regular aeration at OQ, I can't think of anyplace that can recover their greens to an acceptable level in two and a half weeks. I would expect them to be patterned, bumpy and maybe still a bit sandy.

My two cents.
 Message #87477 - This was a reply to message #87475
JohnnyGK

JohnnyGK

Favorite Golfer:
    GK'ers
Favorite Golf Course:
    Cascata

Monday March 12, 2018 10:41 PM
Oak Quarry would eat your friend up as errant drives are the last thing you want to be doing at The Rock.

I absolutely like the layout of Oak Quarry better but I absolutely like the playing conditions of Goose Creek better.

I do love BOTH courses however I just really love the layout of Oak Quarry.

In the context of your friend's skill level, I would suggest The Goose. I've been told many times Goose Creek is a golf course that provides an easy bogey but a tough par. Based on my experience I agree with that.
GK is now on FACEBOOK! CLICK HERE and become a fan!
 Message #87478 - This was a reply to message #87475
rob1563

Southern Nevada Community Staff

Favorite Golfer:
    Ryan Moore
Favorite Golf Course:
    Wolf Creek

Monday March 12, 2018 10:51 PM
Great question!!! I'm the same as your friend, almost all my scores between 96-106. I spent a few minutes on it and still 50/50. So torn.

My scores were comparable at both if I played from the whites, I stepped back to the blues at Oak Quarry and got spanked.

For me it comes down to almost guaranteed good to great conditions (Goose) vs an unique and picturesque course (Quarry).

If I had to make a choice and price is comparable (outside factor), I'm going Oak Quarry, but either one is a good choice.
 Message #87479 - This was a reply to message #87476
roarksown1

Favorite Golfer:
    Whoever's with me playing
Favorite Golf Course:
    Bighorn Golf Club

Monday March 12, 2018 11:03 PM
Can't really go wrong at either course but based on your friend's situation and wanting to keep him in the game, Goose all day. Misses there aren't half as penal in most cases as OQ. And it's never a bad time no matter what.
 Message #87480 - This was a reply to message #87479
sparky14

Favorite Golfer:
    Ben Crenshaw
Favorite Golf Course:
    All except Shorecliffs

Tuesday March 13, 2018 8:18 AM
No way could I make this decision. 36 holes it is .... they both are must plays!
 Message #87483 - This was a reply to message #87475
BrianH

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    N/A

Tuesday March 13, 2018 10:14 AM
QUOTED  Can't really go wrong at either course but based on your friend's situation and wanting to keep him in the game, Goose all day. Misses there aren't half as penal in most cases as OQ. And it's never a bad time no matter what.

He has caught the bug and won't be quitting the game. We have played at least once a month together since the beginning of 2015. He is just going through a rough stretch right now with an uncontrollable driver. I just don't want him to ignore my recommendations based the information gained from the site and want to stick to the same rotation. Although I can't really complain when that rotation includes, Rustic Canyon and the 2 River Ridge courses. I just want to add some other courses in my area (Ojai Valley, Sandpiper) as well as heading out to this area and the desert.

QUOTED  No way could I make this decision. 36 holes it is .... they both are must plays!

If it wasn't for the women in our life that would be a no brainer.

QUOTED  But all things are not equal. The Goose is going to be more forgiving to accommodate your friend, and if it was a regular aeration at OQ, I can't think of anyplace that can recover their greens to an acceptable level in two and a half weeks. I would expect them to be patterned, bumpy and maybe still a bit sandy.

I think this makes the most sense for the decision.

I appreciate all the input and will have to wait to get out at Oak Quarry until the greens are fully healed and I can experience it in it's true glory.
 Message #87484 - This was a reply to message #87483
Hollis

Favorite Golfer:
    'Dick' Fowler,lol
Favorite Golf Course:
    Tukwet Canyon Canyons

Tuesday March 13, 2018 7:50 PM
My two cents.
I would choose GC, here's why; the clientele will be better, which means the majority of players are there for a great round of golf and didn't just find what was good on that necessary evil website I won't mention here.
The practice facility is leaps and bounds better.
I love to walk, the goose is very walker friendly, the rock not so much.
The wind blows at the rock, like it does at Sierra lakes (which is down the street). The elevation exasperates this problem, whereas at the goose, lower elevation with plenty of trees to give some relief.
The price!
Lastly, but most importantly, the conditions are ALWAYS better at the goose! When I land in a greenside bunker at the goose, I don't have 'hardpan bunker preshot anxiety',lol.
Trust me, you'll feel better about your game after leaving the goose than you will after leaving the rock!
First world problems having to choose between great and excellent, lol
 Message #87493 - This was a reply to message #87484
t8fish

Favorite Golfer:
    My Dad
Favorite Golf Course:
    Wykagyl GC

Tuesday March 13, 2018 10:19 PM
Only a little off point, but some advice for your friend. If he is struggling with driver and can hit 3-wood, tell him to put the driver away for a while. On most days I can hit reasonable to good driver, but there was a time when I literally kept it in the bag for a couple of years until I got a handle on my driver and developed some confidence with it away from the course. He'll get a lot more satisfaction out of the rest of his game if his second shot on each driving hole isn't a recovery shot or penalty stroke.

A well struck 3-wood frequently will give him distance comparable to your driver. A lot of players struggle with driver and there is no shame in doing what works.

[[Edited by t8fish on Tuesday March 13, 2018 10:20 PM]]
 Message #87495 - This was a reply to message #87493

Listing 1 to 10 of 13 Replies

PAGES: 2 1 2

[ Community Page ]