feside
Putt with Flag stick in

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    N/A

RPGC MAIL USER ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Friday January 4, 2019 12:17 PM
New rule to speed up play. What if 2 guys in your 4 some want to putt with the flag stick out and the other two want it in. Wouldn’t this slow down play more with the flag stick being puting back and taking out? And watch out for stepping on putting lines when replacing the flag! By doing this... someone must hold the flag all the time (can’t really place it on the ground cuz you will need to pick it up again...twice). Also, what if I want to putt with the flag in on my second down hill putt... “can I have the flag in please?”. I know this can be rectify if we “all get along”. But can you see the potential for slowing down play?
 Message #90154
sparky14
RE: Putt with Flag stick in

Favorite Golfer:
    Ben Crenshaw
Favorite Golf Course:
    All except Shorecliffs

RPGC MAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Friday January 4, 2019 12:39 PM
I've got a patent for a flagstick with a bluetooth speaker built in. It also has a sponge-like covering on the pin just above the hole, so that if your ball hits it, it will deaden the impact and fall into the hole.

I expect that every 20-something golfer will buy one, and keep it in their bag. Then when they get close to the green, all of their foursome will grab their flagspeaker and race to the green to get it in the hole. Listen to your favorite music at "next group can hear my great music" volume AND make all your putts.

I'm going to be rich. Get off my lawn.
 Message #90155 - This was a reply to message #90154
24hourgolf

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    N/A

Friday January 4, 2019 1:11 PM
I personally like the idea. Especially when a long distant from the hole and hard to see. It gives me a good line to the hole. I realize I can have someone tend the pin, but not everyone you might play with, does it properly.

The rule that I think is strange? Dropping the ball at a level from your knee? So what, I now have to bend over to my knee and then drop it? Why not just drop it from waist high?
 Message #90156 - This was a reply to message #90154
Rat-Patrol
GK Event: Played in a GK Event

Favorite Golfer:
    My Grandpa was
Favorite Golf Course:
    Balboa Park GC

Friday January 4, 2019 1:26 PM
I'll be taking the flag out, the stick has never helped me.
 Message #90157 - This was a reply to message #90156
caligolfer1031

Favorite Golfer:
    Adam Scott, Bubba Watson
Favorite Golf Course:
    Spyglass Hill

Friday January 4, 2019 2:16 PM
Seems to me it would be more difficult to be aggressive on short putts with the flag in.
 Message #90158 - This was a reply to message #90157
sngernz

Favorite Golfer:
    Bubba!
Favorite Golf Course:
    Spyglass Hill

Friday January 4, 2019 2:41 PM
QUOTED  I'll be taking the flag out, the stick has never helped me.

Agree, Rat. I've seen more ball bounce off the stick than drop in.

The advantage to the average golfer, I believe, if you have a long putt there's no longer a need to have someone walk over to tend it prior to putting.

QUOTED  What if 2 guys in your 4 some want to putt with the flag stick out and the other two want it in.

That would be pretty rare. Most will want it out ... but I guess there are those exceptions (ie. Bryson DeChambeau).
 Message #90159 - This was a reply to message #90157
feside

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    N/A

Friday January 4, 2019 4:20 PM
“That would be pretty rare. Most will want it out ... but I guess there are those exceptions (ie. Bryson DeChambeau).”

C’mon. Dave Pelz said .....leave it in.
 Message #90160 - This was a reply to message #90159
roarksown1

Favorite Golfer:
    Whoever's with me playing
Favorite Golf Course:
    Bighorn Golf Club

Friday January 4, 2019 6:14 PM
QUOTED  New rule to speed up play. What if 2 guys in your 4 some want to putt with the flag stick out and the other two want it in. Wouldn’t this slow down play more with the flag stick being puting back and taking out? And watch out for stepping on putting lines when replacing the flag! By doing this... someone must hold the flag all the time (can’t really place it on the ground cuz you will need to pick it up again...twice). Also, what if I want to putt with the flag in on my second down hill putt... “can I have the flag in please?”. I know this can be rectify if we “all get along”. But can you see the potential for slowing down play?

This is exactly what I've been saying since I first read this new rule. It's meant to speed up play but today we were jumping back and forth to the pin when someone wanted it in if their ball was above the hole. I don't think this will speed things up at all. How do you speed it up? Everyone not on the green goes first. Once EVERYONE is on the green, you pull the pin out once and for all and get on with it. Simple.

[[Edited by roarksown1 on Saturday January 5, 2019 2:55 AM]]
 Message #90161 - This was a reply to message #90154
CPennbo

Community Director/Women

Favorite Golfer:
    Annika/Mickelson
Favorite Golf Course:
    Balboa

Friday January 4, 2019 8:50 PM
It's supposed to speed up play. Use it incorrectly and just like every other rule in the book it will slow play down. SO the onus is on us, the informed golfer, to use it correctly, set good examples, and keep that POP going!
New Year's Resolution- HAVE MORE FUN, DO MORE, SEE MORE, LAUGH MORE!
 Message #90162 - This was a reply to message #90161
sdscratchorbust

Favorite Golfer:
    Tiger Woods
Favorite Golf Course:
    Pasatiempo

Saturday January 5, 2019 6:42 AM
I just went out and played my first two rounds with the new flag rule.

At first me and my friend, due to habit, were pulling the pin. But then we decided to leave it in. It felt weird at first, like being in your bed with socks on, but after it was so much easier.

We liked it from the social aspect. It eliminates the stupid formality of a group of who pulls the pin, fight over who helps to put it back in, all those manners etc. That aspect will speed things up.

I'm a math analytical guy. I'm a PELZ short game school alumni so I definitely am drinking the PELZ koolaid. His study is bulletproof and from experience (I play twilight solo a lot and always leave the stick in and you can ram jam in every 4 footer, it makes them automatic, and you can drop putts from downtown you wouldn't before)

I understand everyone has the visceral response to seeing the ball deflect off the stick, BUT what you aren't seeing are all the crazy horrible lip outs, ball skip over etc. Also just like too firm of a chip if you catch a part of the flag it will slow the ball down (Law of motion there is a loss of energy when the ball collides with the flag)

Think about how many firm chip in you see drop in, versus barely lip out? How many down town putts have you seen be a hair too firm and just bounce over?

[[Edited by sdscratchorbust on Saturday January 5, 2019 7:41 PM]]
 Message #90163 - This was a reply to message #90160

Listing 1 to 10 of 46 Replies

PAGES: 5 1 2 3 4 5

[ Community Page ]