Your mind set for golf

GK Event: Played in a GK Event

Favorite Golfer:
    Fred Couples
Favorite Golf Course:
    Goose Creek

RPGC MAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Sunday January 6, 2019 6:02 AM
I am a 13 to 19 hdcp depending on the course and my swing for the day. That means a good round for me is 85 and below. A bad round is 94 and above. So my rounds are mostly between 86 and 93. That being established that means that most of my holes will be boggies with some pars, some doubles boggies and maybe a birdie. When I play a hole I am almost never upset with a boggie, after all 18 boggies equals a score of 90 which is in my range. Do I want to par the hole absolutely, but reality sets in as to my skill, or lack if it, lol I play with some friends that has a hdcp of 24, and shoots between 95 and 110 most times out and always gets upset when he gets a boggie. IMHO he is self destroying his mind set that he actually expects a par. Pars are like birdies for him. I mean a lot of us are getting older and "shorter" off the tee, even if you hit a 225 drive, you have 160 to 180 for your approach shot. If you are driving the ball 207 you have 178 to 198 for your approach shot. "Most" of us are not super accurate to hit the green from that distance, often 2 yards or so off the green, or futher lol, so then it takes your 3rd shot for a chip or pitch and run to get on the green. This is where you either make par or boggie. You chip it close and make the putt for par (4/1) or you miss the putt and boggie (5/2). Most of the pars for our hdcp will be on shorter holes, be it par 3, 4, or 5s. Or if you are having a good chipping and putting day. IMHO too many golfers put too much pressure on making par and are not realistic about their ability and the final score. Boggies (for most of us ) are good.
 Message #90174
sdscratchorbust
RE: Your mind set for golf

Favorite Golfer:
    John Daly
Favorite Golf Course:
    Pasatiempo

Sunday January 6, 2019 7:16 AM
100% I took my dad and uncle out. They are mid 60s. They each play once our twice a year. And they were both complaining that I was having them hit from the whites. They were getting real angry that they weren't having looks at pars.

I love telling golfers who get mad they aren't performing: "You're not good enough to get angry"

I have a coworker who may have been decent once but never practices but somehow thinks after not practicing for 6 months he will somehow improve overnight in his sleep? So whenever he would miss a shot and get angry I would ask him. "Well when was the last time you practiced hitting that shot?" Which is never. How can you expect to hit it perfectly now?

To agree with your point further when I was getting close to break 80s I read a really good minsight advice on how you have to look at it to do it consistently. Instead of trying to par ever hole and then having a mental collapse when you get behind. A mindset that helped me was look at the round to break 80 is I have 7 bogeys to use and only need 11 pars. So when you get off track on a whole. Don't go for the miracle shot and bang one off a tree for a triple. Tell yourself I'm out of position on this hole. Let me use a bogey here and maybe I get lucky and steal a par with a putt. Total different mindset that really helped me.
 Message #90175 - This was a reply to message #90174
chevelle

Favorite Golfer:
    Fred Couples
Favorite Golf Course:
    Goose Creek

Sunday January 6, 2019 12:14 PM
QUOTED  "You're not good enough to get angry

OMG that is so good and so true. I bowled for 35 years with a high average of 231, several 300 games and 800 series and I saw that ALL THE TIME for 160 or 180 average bowlers and I had the same thought, man you only avg 180, you are not good enough to get mad. I mean truthfully we are all hacks, very few of us will hit the ball like the pros. And I say that because in bowling in the late 90s and early 2000s, a 231 avg was very very good, so I assume some of you out there could be shooting 70 to 74 very often.
 Message #90179 - This was a reply to message #90175
Rat-Patrol

Favorite Golfer:
    My Grandpa was
Favorite Golf Course:
    Balboa Park GC

Sunday January 6, 2019 12:33 PM
I just go play when I can . . . and want to. No brain, no headache.
 Message #90180 - This was a reply to message #90179
HmtGolfGuy
GK Event: Played in a GK Event GK Cup: Past & Current Champions of The GK Cup

Favorite Golfer:
    Brendan Steele
Favorite Golf Course:
    Rams Hill, Oak Valley

Tuesday January 8, 2019 2:44 PM
My mindset varies depending on the situation. Lately, since I'm going to be moving cross-country, most of my rounds have been "farewell" rounds - I try to take in the nuances of the course as much as possible, remembering why its one of my regular choices, and just enjoy the day. Generally, I play to have fun - I'll try a couple "career" shots just to see if I can still pull them off but rarely get upset if I can't.

On the other hand, if its a competitive round, I try to have a very specific and realistic game plan in place and grind like a madman. If I follow the plan and hit the shots I know I'm capable of, I'm disappointed but not upset if I lose. However, if I screw up either the basic shots or the plan, THEN I'll get pissed off - its anger and frustration directed at myself for not meeting a realistic expectation (not for missing the green from 225 out with a 3-wood!). I do my best to keep it inside and not let it interfere in interactions with other players that day.

I've told several friends, the best way to enjoy golf when you don't play much is to focus on a few specific shots. Try and hit a better shot than your usual - if its a course you play regularly, try something different on those 2-3 holes that always give you fits. Don't focus on the big picture (18 hole score), focus on something smaller and rejoice when you succeed!
 Message #90235 - This was a reply to message #90174
sdscratchorbust

Favorite Golfer:
    John Daly
Favorite Golf Course:
    Pasatiempo

Tuesday January 8, 2019 7:45 PM
100% true

I love the quote - I wish I was as good as a golfer as I think I am

Those special rounds when it all comes together are fun. Man golf is hard though. That's what brings me back. It'll take a lifetime and I'll never have it mastered.

Johnny is always a good influence. Because whenever I get narrow minded on a score goal to hit. I remember I do this to have fun and relax. I really do have the most fun at golf when I don't keep score. Which I try to do most of the time now.

I'll try the 2 or 3 shot idea that sounds great.

[[Edited by sdscratchorbust on Tuesday January 8, 2019 7:46 PM]]
 Message #90239 - This was a reply to message #90179
CPennbo

Community Director/Women

Favorite Golfer:
    Annika/Mickelson
Favorite Golf Course:
    Balboa

Wednesday January 9, 2019 9:41 PM
Exactly Chevelle!! When I was first learning to play I used to get mad at myself because I wasn't scoring low enough. Why? Everyone I played with was a great golfer. Compared them I sucked!! LOL Then I started playing with average golfers and realized I wasn't half bad. That allowed me to just calm down and play my own game- which I still do to this day. Can't say I don't grind every once in awhile but for the most part I laugh and have a good time. My favorite line? No one is handing me a check for a million bucks on 18, so who cares!

Ron? Where you moving dude?
New Year's Resolution- HAVE MORE FUN, DO MORE, SEE MORE, LAUGH MORE!
 Message #90250 - This was a reply to message #90239
HmtGolfGuy
GK Event: Played in a GK Event GK Cup: Past & Current Champions of The GK Cup

Favorite Golfer:
    Brendan Steele
Favorite Golf Course:
    Rams Hill, Oak Valley

Wednesday January 9, 2019 10:32 PM
Moving to Philly area - Amtrak is closing our office as of the 18th. Need at least three more years to max out retirement benefits so going to that office until I can get that on the books.
 Message #90252 - This was a reply to message #90250
CPennbo

Community Director/Women

Favorite Golfer:
    Annika/Mickelson
Favorite Golf Course:
    Balboa

Thursday January 10, 2019 10:40 AM
QUOTED  [Posted By HmtGolfGuy on 01.09.2019 10:32 PM]

Moving to Philly area - Amtrak is closing our office as of the 18th. Need at least three more years to max out retirement benefits so going to that office until I can get that on the books.

Darn. Sorry to hear that. Keep repeating "It's only three years. It's only three years." Good luck and safe travels!
New Year's Resolution- HAVE MORE FUN, DO MORE, SEE MORE, LAUGH MORE!
 Message #90259 - This was a reply to message #90252
chevelle

Favorite Golfer:
    Fred Couples
Favorite Golf Course:
    Goose Creek

Thursday January 10, 2019 12:44 PM
When playing and I am following my score it is by boggies, so if I boggie the 1st 2 holes I tell myself I am even, if I double the next then one over, par the next back to even. If I triple then I count how many pars to get back to "boggie" golf to be even (it is actually only 2 pars and you saved yourself) Doing that it is very easy to shoot 42 front 43 back and end up with 85. Really puts NO pressure on you to score. Just a mind game I play for me.
 Message #90261 - This was a reply to message #90259

Listing 1 to 10 of 11 Replies

PAGES: 2 1 2

[ Community Page ]