Discussions in General Discussions
Moderated By CPennbo, JohnnyGK, kviser, Paisano, thingstodo

Forums
General Forums
General Discussions
87 on Sunday in a major when starting the day i...
YOUR SETTINGSLIST FORUMSLIST TOPICSSEARCH

TOPIC: 87 on Sunday in a major when starting the day in 3rd place?

PRINT TOPICSEND THIS TO A FRIEND

Listing 1 to 10 of 19 Replies

PAGES: 2 1 2
Nickesquire
87 on Sunday in a major when starting the day in 3rd place?
GK Event: Played in a GK Event

Favorite Golfer:
    Jack, Freddie, Tiger
Favorite Golf Course:
    Maderas Olivas Sherwood

RPGC MAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Tuesday July 23, 2019 8:45 AM
J.B. Holmes has gotten alot of bad publicity over the past few years for his slow play. From commentators, to fellow professionals to golf fans, his pace, particularly when near the lead has been seen as universally unacceptable.

That aside, I am surprised that his 87 on Sunday has not gotten more publicity. Yes, the conditions were bad, but they were equally bad for the other top competitors playing at the same time J.B. was. And most of them were shooting between 70-75 on Sunday.

He was in 3rd place starting play on Sunday, and ended up in 67th place? Guys who have played their way into the top 3 of a major through three rounds just don't shoot 87's in the 4th round?

After playing the first 54 holes in -10, he was +3 through 7 on Sunday. At -7 still high on the leaderboard standing on the 8th tee. Then proceeded to play his final 11 holes in +13?

Greg Norman shot 78 on the Sunday @ Augusta he blew the lead when Faldo won his last Green Jacket 20+ years ago. And was thoroughly raked over the coals by the press. 78 is a FAR cry from 87.

Refresh my memory, but has there ever been a meltdown like this by someone playing in the last couple of groups on a Sunday in a major before?

[[Edited by Nickesquire on Tuesday July 23, 2019 8:50 AM]]
The goal is long and straight! But since I can no longer hit them long, could I at least hit them straighter?
 Message #91962
mlslaw
RE: 87 on Sunday in a major when starting the day in 3rd place?

Favorite Golfer:
    Fred Couples
Favorite Golf Course:
    Rustic Canyon

Tuesday July 23, 2019 9:19 AM
More importantly, how do you assess the meltdown Nick? Weather aside, was it just bad luck, a swing defect creeping in, lost confidence, just quitting??? I don't really get it either. The cameras went away from JB, as they always do, once he faltered so it was tough to pinpoint anything.
 Message #91963 - This was a reply to message #91962
Nickesquire

Favorite Golfer:
    Jack, Freddie, Tiger
Favorite Golf Course:
    Maderas Olivas Sherwood

Tuesday July 23, 2019 10:13 AM
QUOTED  Weather aside, was it just bad luck, a swing defect creeping in, lost confidence, just quitting??? I don't really get it either. The cameras went away from JB, as they always do, once he faltered so it was tough to pinpoint anything.

All excellent points and possible reasons Mislaw. Like you, did not see any of it. Just looking at a scorecard that reflects this over his last 11 holes:

3 pars
4 bogeys
3 doubles
1 triple

= +13

Ouch!

Another way of illustrating exactly how far back Holmes ended up. Sergio started Sunday well off the pace @ -1. He then shot 78 in one of his worst ever major performances Sunday. That allowed him to "make up" the 9 shots he trailed Holmes by to start the round and they both ended up in a T67th?
The goal is long and straight! But since I can no longer hit them long, could I at least hit them straighter?
 Message #91966 - This was a reply to message #91963
mpisarski01

Favorite Golfer:
    John Daly
Favorite Golf Course:
    Grizzly Ranch

Tuesday July 23, 2019 10:21 AM
Id take that score
 Message #91967 - This was a reply to message #91966
AndrewZ28
GK Event: Played in a GK Event GK Cup: Past & Current Champions of The GK Cup

Favorite Golfer:
    Ben Hogan
Favorite Golf Course:
    La Purisima

Tuesday July 23, 2019 10:43 AM
Didn't Rory shoot an 80 on Sunday at the Masters when he was leading? And DJ shot 81 in the final round as the 54-hole leader at the US Open at Pebble in 2010 (?).
 Message #91970 - This was a reply to message #91967
Nickesquire

Favorite Golfer:
    Jack, Freddie, Tiger
Favorite Golf Course:
    Maderas Olivas Sherwood

Tuesday July 23, 2019 10:50 AM
QUOTED  Id take that score

I too would be satisfied with that score on that course in those conditions Matt.

Main difference is that either of us having a good day and shooting 75 on a normal course from the Blue tees would not even translate to an 80 on the tees/courses these guys play in a major.

QUOTED  Didn't Rory shoot an 80 on Sunday at the Masters when he was leading? And DJ shot 81 in the final round as the 54-hole leader at the US Open at Pebble in 2010 (?).

Agree, both poor rounds. But Holmes would have to turn three of his double or triple holes into pars just to get down into the 80-81 range?
 Message #91973 - This was a reply to message #91970
dconnally

GK Event: Played in a GK Event GK Cup: Past & Current Champions of The GK Cup

Favorite Golfer:
    Arnie
Favorite Golf Course:
    Oak Quarry; Tobiano

Tuesday July 23, 2019 11:07 AM
Rory and DJ's rounds were played in much better playing conditions (weather/course).

We've all had a few holes or a nine when suddenly the swing just leaves you and you are fighting for survival.

Holmes happened to have his bad streak when the weather got really foul on a course where the more you go sideways the worse off you are. Bad combination!
Remember, we could be at work!!
 Message #91974 - This was a reply to message #91973
1PLUS1

Favorite Golfer:
    Seve; Nick Faldo
Favorite Golf Course:
    Belgrade Lakes (Maine)

Tuesday July 23, 2019 1:36 PM
Stuff like this happens; anyone who's played the game should be aware of just how quickly one's game can go south...professional-level talent included. By his own admission, Holmes has not played well this year, although he did appear to be on his game through the first three rounds. As for Sunday? Could be a combination of things that led to his implosion: lack of confidence, the pressure of the final round, a balky golf swing, less-than-ideal weather conditions, etc. Take your pick...and more than one answer will be accepted.

While it may have come out of the dark, Holmes' plummet towards the bottom of the field is nothing new; look no further than Bobby Clampett's meltdown at the 1982 British Open. Opened with 67-66 and appeared to be a lock for the Claret Jug...but not so fast. Followed up with rounds of 78-77 to finish in a tie for 10th place and was never quite the same afterwards.

As in Holmes' case, no one anticipated Clampett's collapse yet these things do happen from time to time. As mentioned earlier, there are many factors that come into play, but take an out-of-synch golf swing, add a less-than-confident mindset, sprinkle in a few bad bounces for good measure...and you've got the recipe for an unceremonious and embarrassing unraveling.

[[Edited by 1PLUS1 on Tuesday July 23, 2019 1:39 PM]]
 Message #91977 - This was a reply to message #91962
Nickesquire

Favorite Golfer:
    Jack, Freddie, Tiger
Favorite Golf Course:
    Maderas Olivas Sherwood

Tuesday July 23, 2019 2:05 PM
QUOTED  Followed up with rounds of 78-77

Agree overall with your assessment/analysis Jeff. However, following up with a 78/77 is still less over par for 36 holes than Holmes was for his last 11 on Sunday.

The former champions who qualify based on that status are often years, even decades from their prime and sometimes shoot 87's or above in majors. Example, saw a graphic that David DuVal became the first professional to record three triples or above in the same round of a major last week since.... David DuVal.

My main thought is that it is almost unheard of for a week in/week out touring pro to be getting close to 90, especially after shooting -10 the first 3 rounds.
 Message #91978 - This was a reply to message #91977
1PLUS1

Favorite Golfer:
    Seve; Nick Faldo
Favorite Golf Course:
    Belgrade Lakes (Maine)

Tuesday July 23, 2019 2:40 PM
Yeah, Holmes' 87 looks a lot worse than Clampett's 78-77 but on a course like Portrush, with the undulating fairways, deep grass/shrubbery, and inclement conditions, it's not out of the realm of possibility. Granted, you'd think a touring professional who's -10 going into the final round would be immune to such disaster but just a few wayward shots could pave the path for an out-of-control excursion. Take McIlroy's opening round 8 on #1. Yes, he managed to get things under control until the final few holes, but throw two or three more of those on the card...and all it takes is one bad swing here, one bad swing there...and breaking 80 becomes a chore. People need to realize these guys are not machines...despite what the analysts and media will lead you to believe.

While Duval once again proved he has little business being out there, I believe 14 of those strokes were accumulated on one hole...although it doesn't hide the fact he still would have been in the 80s at the end of the day. I just think these high scores are more commonplace on courses such as Portrush as opposed to the venues the guys regularly play in the States. We've seen rounds where someone puts a couple of double or triple bogies on the card but manages to offset that with a few birdies along the way, keeping their score somewhat respectable. In Holmes' case, a single birdie was nothing more than a drop in the bucket, hardly enough to plug a major leak.

[[Edited by 1PLUS1 on Tuesday July 23, 2019 2:49 PM]]
 Message #91979 - This was a reply to message #91978

Listing 1 to 10 of 19 Replies

PAGES: 2 1 2

[ Community Page ]