Discussions in What d'you shoot (GK Cyber Clubhouse)
Moderated By CPennbo, JohnnyGK, kviser, Paisano, thingstodo

Forums
Greenskeeper.org
What d'you shoot (GK Cyber Clubhouse)
What d'you shoot June-2020 (GK Cyber Clubhouse)
YOUR SETTINGSLIST FORUMSLIST TOPICSSEARCH

TOPIC: What d'you shoot June-2020 (GK Cyber Clubhouse)

PRINT TOPICSEND THIS TO A FRIEND

Listing 1 to 10 of 27 Replies

PAGES: 3 1 2 3
JohnnyGK
What d'you shoot June-2020 (GK Cyber Clubhouse)

JohnnyGK

GK Event: Played in a GK Event GKGC EAGLE: GKGC Eagle Supporter Birdie Chain: Stake Holder BCB Birdie Chain SCGA GK Golf Club: Member

Favorite Golfer:
    GK'ers
Favorite Golf Course:
    Pebble Beach Golf Links

RPGC MAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Monday June 1, 2020 8:31 AM
Reading about your experiences has been inspiring to me. So much great golf last month. Raising up my morning cup of green tea right now for a proceeding cheers to many more in June.

Thank You for your posts.
GK FACEBOOK - Please check it out - CLICK HERE - I'm doing fun posts all the time.
 Message #95192
michaelko
RE: What d'you shoot June-2020 (GK Cyber Clubhouse)
NorCal Community Staff

GK Event: Played in a GK Event

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    N/A

Thursday June 4, 2020 11:31 AM
So, 2nd round of my club championship.

Had to give up 16 strokes and 500 yds. My opponent shot an 89, net 6 under. I shot 79, net 1 over. He beat me 2up. I am actually pretty proud of how I battled, but frustrated at the inequity I had to overcome.

I should've won 4 and 3... but I gave away 3 points on the front nine.

#2, I hit one OB, then proceeded to par the hole (plus penalty)
#4, I hit one in the water, but still had a 3 ft par putt. missed.
#7 3 putt from 20 ft, only 3 putt of the day. misjudged the downhill speed way short.

still with all that, I had a 39 on the front and came out 1 down. and don't forget I have to give a stroke a hole 8 times

I took #10, to go AS, and he halved me for 4 holes 5 over to my 1 over. I took #15 to go 1up with 3 to play.

#16, I hit from 165 to his 130, and he gets a stroke with his par. AS
#17, I almost chip in for birdie, he pars i'm 1 down.
#18 my aggressiveness leads me to double, but he pars anyway, with a stroke. lose 2 up.

I knew I had to have a big lead or close out before those last 3 holes (I had to give up 175 yds total on 3 of the last 4 holes, plus a stroke a hole).. .alas... i worked hard for my pushes, and gave away 3 points.

seems wrong.
 Message #95233 - This was a reply to message #95192
RDDenn

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    Barona Creek

Thursday June 4, 2020 5:06 PM
QUOTED  seems wrong.

You gave up a ton of strokes for a net club championship. I belong to a small travel club and we even have two flights for the net championship. Agree, seems wrong. Sounds like you played a solid round though. And sounds like aggressiveness was called for on 18 even if it did not work out.
 Message #95234 - This was a reply to message #95233
michaelko
NorCal Community Staff

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    N/A

Friday June 5, 2020 10:37 AM
QUOTED  You gave up a ton of strokes for a net club championship. I belong to a small travel club and we even have two flights for the net championship. Agree, seems wrong. Sounds like you played a solid round though. And sounds like aggressiveness was called for on 18 even if it did not work out.

we do it like this:
it's the CLUB championship... the net champ is secondary.
you declare if you are playing in the club championship or net championship.

club champ: play from tips, gross qualifier. this year, about 25 people declared for this. top 15 plus defending champ make it to match play. cutline was 81 to qualify.

net champ: net qualifier: play from member tees, over 70 can play from tee up, which buys them 500 yds and only about 1 less stroke than if they played from the member tees. top 15 plus defending champ make it to match play. so about 100 people participated. cutline was even par: 8 way playoff for 7 spots.

this is the 2nd year of this format.
the previous format was: 18 hole qualifier, declare your intent to qualify for club champ match play, play from tips. top 15 plus club champ. if you don't make it, everyone else is thrown into the net tournament, which was a 36 hole stroke play. So you'd play a 2nd 18 from the whites, adjusted strokes for playing from the tips in the 1st rd. Winner of net tournament was 36 hole leader.

all handicaps calculated off low index for past year... so net scores weren't egregiously low.

anyways, I went back and forth all week which to declare. Both ways, I needed to go low. 80 from the tips, or 78 from the member tees. Neither was a gimme. I figured I had a better chance with the 78. Then, if I did qualify for match play, I'd be getting strokes, but playing better players, from the tips, vs giving strokes, against lesser players, but from the member tees.

Neither choice ideal.

I went net.
 Message #95239 - This was a reply to message #95234
mpisarski01
GK Event: Played in a GK Event GKGC EAGLE: GKGC Eagle Supporter Birdie Chain: Stake Holder BCB Birdie Chain SCGA GK Golf Club: Member

Favorite Golfer:
    John Daly & Anyone I beat
Favorite Golf Course:
    Griz. Ranch & Chambers

Monday June 8, 2020 6:26 AM
The Tale of two nines Saturday at Mission hills. As most reviews noted over the weekend the wind was bombing around 15-30 mph. There was no exception in Rancho Mirage.

My front nine started probably the worst in the last few years. I was plus 10 through 5 holes. I kept finding tree's and crunchy sand. On hole 6 I figured out how to keep the ball in good positions but still ended up shooting a 50 on the front nine. (ADJ 49 stupid snowman)

The Back nine came around and My drive started going dead straight and in position A most of the time. On hole 11 I hit a 300 yard drive but the ball bounced left off the fairway and left me a tree blocked 2nd on the Par 5. I decided to try and hit a low stinger under the tree and it worked. I ended up rolling on the green from 225 with my 4 iron for a Green Under Reg. I hat about 40-50 feet for eagle and left it less than a foot short and 3 inches left of the hole. It was a good try but oh well. I bogeyed 12 then rattled off PAR after PAR until hole 18. I was sitting at 2 over and knew I needed bogey or better to shoot 89. My drive was smashed but unfortunately found one of the fingers on the lake that was not visible on the tee. I took my drip and had 300 yards to the green and 230 to the lake so I hit a nice 6 iron to get me to a good distance. The wind was howling in our face for my approach so I hit 9 iron from about 120 and landed dead center of the island green. I made my two putt for bogey and somehow shot under 90 even with the crappy front nine.

89 (adj 88)
 Message #95268 - This was a reply to message #95192
Alex326
GK Event: Played in a GK Event Birdie Chain: Stake Holder BCB Birdie Chain GKGC EAGLE: GKGC Eagle Supporter

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    Pebble Beach

Monday June 8, 2020 8:16 AM
My rounds have been like Matt's last round at Mission Hills, either really good or really really bad. In my last 10 rounds, I've had three rounds under 80 (78,79,78) but have also had four rounds in the 90's with two of those being in the HIGH 90's.

Three of those bad rounds were with the new driver which I have ditched and gone back to the trusty M3. 15 yards less but in the fairway is better than 4 bombs and 10 search and rescue drives. You you know the ones, hit the ball then go for an Easter egg hunt in the rough looking for it!

Yesterday's 78 at San Juan Oaks had the making of the best ever round as I was 4 over after 17 holes. Unfortunately , I skulled my approach shot on 18 right into the hazard and after my drop I walked away with a double bogey. Talk about caving to pressure. I so wanted that 76 or 77 for a personal best. My only round of 77 came with an asterisk as it was on a course with sanded greens making every shot stick close to the pin especially ship shots

I am very worried about Wednesday at Ridge Creek. My last two rounds in the 70's were followed with a round in the 90's.
 Message #95269 - This was a reply to message #95268
JohnnyGK

JohnnyGK

Favorite Golfer:
    GK'ers
Favorite Golf Course:
    Pebble Beach Golf Links

Friday June 12, 2020 8:10 PM
Had a super time with GKers at Ridge Creek Dinuba on Wednesday and today at Arrowood. Decided on the 7th hole for the front nine today, down 6 in my GK Cup match to gary00 that if I did not start taking each shot very seriously, which meant taking my time to try to figure out how to play my game again, there was no way I would ever find it again after the long COVID-19 layoff. Anyway played much better on the back nine. Had a great time regardless. Now I need to find time to start practicing again. I'm sick and tired of playing lousy.
GK FACEBOOK - Please check it out - CLICK HERE - I'm doing fun posts all the time.
 Message #95349 - This was a reply to message #95192
mpisarski01

Favorite Golfer:
    John Daly & Anyone I beat
Favorite Golf Course:
    Griz. Ranch & Chambers

Saturday June 13, 2020 6:56 AM
Really tough day off the tee. I had two par 3 toppers. and probably 4 drives start so low that they catch the bushes. I hit 5 fairways all day and hit 4 greens. 31 putts but 5 penalty strokes. To add insult to injury I was 30 yards out in a sand trap and hit a 160 yard 60° that went over a house.

A few highlights from the day were a couple of putts from the sand traps that had AndrewZ28 really confused on my witchcraft. The sand was real hit or miss and with no nasty lips it made sense to give it a go. Both putts from the traps ended up less than 10 feet from the hole. (huge shout out to rob1563 for the courage to putt anything)

[[Edited by mpisarski01 on Monday June 15, 2020 1:51 PM]]
 Message #95352 - This was a reply to message #95349
kviser

SoCal Community Staff

GK Event: Played in a GK Event LA-GK-Meetup-Winner: LA GK Meetup Winner GKGC BIRDIE: GKGC Birdie Supporter SCGA GK Golf Club: Member

Favorite Golfer:
    Fred Couples
Favorite Golf Course:
    River Ridge

Saturday June 13, 2020 9:43 AM
QUOTED  To add insult to injury I was 30 yards out in a sand trap and hit a 160 yard 60° that went over a house.

Holy smokes! How do you do that?

I played yesterday at Hansen Dam. I struggled all day with my driver. I hit two fairways and one green in regulation. Somehow I was able to keep a level head and had no penalties and only two 3-putts.

I had a really good run on the back nine with pars on holes 12 through 17. I self destructed on 18 tee, though. I ended up with 87; 47 front nine and 40 back nine.
 Message #95354 - This was a reply to message #95352
noeldaof
GK Event: Played in a GK Event GKGC Par: GKGC Par Supporter

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    N/A

RPGC MAIL USER ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Monday June 15, 2020 11:00 AM
Saturday was a very windy day in Edwards AFB. If anyone knows wind out there when they say 15-20 mph, people start to think if they're gonna wanna go out. But it was forecasted at 28 mph with gusts up to 36. Not an excuse, but it was constant. 42/44 for an 86.
JVGA
 Message #95376 - This was a reply to message #95354

Listing 1 to 10 of 27 Replies

PAGES: 3 1 2 3

[ Community Page ]