Discussions in What d'you shoot (GK Cyber Clubhouse)
Moderated By CPennbo, JohnnyGK, kviser, Paisano, thingstodo

Forums
Greenskeeper.org
What d'you shoot (GK Cyber Clubhouse)
What d'you shoot July-2020 (GK Cyber Clubhouse)
YOUR SETTINGSLIST FORUMSLIST TOPICSSEARCH

TOPIC: What d'you shoot July-2020 (GK Cyber Clubhouse)

PRINT TOPICSEND THIS TO A FRIEND

Listing 11 to 20 of 28 Replies

PAGES: 3 1 2 3
gary00
RE: What d'you shoot July-2020 (GK Cyber Clubhouse)
GK Cup: Past & Current Champions of The GK Cup GK Event: Played in a GK Event Birdie Chain: Stake Holder BCB Birdie Chain GKGC BIRDIE: GKGC Birdie Supporter SCGA GK Golf Club: Member

Favorite Golfer:
    jack
Favorite Golf Course:
    arrow wood

RPGC MAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Saturday July 18, 2020 3:35 PM
7/16 Glen Ivy started out like it was going to be one of my typical rounds #1 par 5 2 good shots followed by a marginal flare that caught the slope and ran 20 yds into the water--so I start with a double then continue with 1 par while missing 4 6 footers to settle for bogies--throw in 1 more double along the way and 9 over thru 8. #9 par 3 playing 168 to the pin water short and left but flush it to 6 feet--birdie. #10 par 5 2 shots to 65 yds to pin--SW to 3 feet--birdie. #11 short par 4 pushed the drive 120 out good angle but thin to bare lie--clean strike to inside 2 feet--birdie. Been a long time since I had a string like that and that many birds in a round. combined with a 20 foot curler on 16 for another bird and some near misses for pars and a couple of 3 putts managed to play the last 10 holes at even. So just about the time I was going to take 2 weeks off before I quit for good the golf gods tantalize me with their benevolence. Can't wait to get back there Monday
 Message #95740 - This was a reply to message #95712
gary00
GK Cup: Past & Current Champions of The GK Cup GK Event: Played in a GK Event Birdie Chain: Stake Holder BCB Birdie Chain GKGC BIRDIE: GKGC Birdie Supporter SCGA GK Golf Club: Member

Favorite Golfer:
    jack
Favorite Golf Course:
    arrow wood

Saturday July 18, 2020 3:35 PM
7/16 Glen Ivy started out like it was going to be one of my typical rounds #1 par 5 2 good shots followed by a marginal flare that caught the slope and ran 20 yds into the water--so I start with a double then continue with 1 par while missing 4 6 footers to settle for bogies--throw in 1 more double along the way and 9 over thru 8. #9 par 3 playing 168 to the pin water short and left but flush it to 6 feet--birdie. #10 par 5 2 shots to 65 yds to pin--SW to 3 feet--birdie. #11 short par 4 pushed the drive 120 out good angle but thin to bare lie--clean strike to inside 2 feet--birdie. Been a long time since I had a string like that and that many birds in a round. combined with a 20 foot curler on 16 for another bird and some near misses for pars and a couple of 3 putts managed to play the last 10 holes at even. So just about the time I was going to take 2 weeks off before I quit for good the golf gods tantalize me with their benevolence. Can't wait to get back there Monday
 Message #95741 - This was a reply to message #95712
mpisarski01
GK Event: Played in a GK Event GKGC EAGLE: GKGC Eagle Supporter Birdie Chain: Stake Holder BCB Birdie Chain SCGA GK Golf Club: Member

Favorite Golfer:
    John Daly & Anyone I beat
Favorite Golf Course:
    Griz. Ranch & Chambers

Sunday July 19, 2020 6:47 AM
44-44 at crosscreek. Long irons hurt in the beginning followed by OB on the back. I only had 2 bogeys but three triples and a few doubles hurt. One 3 putt is ok but could've been better.
 Message #95748 - This was a reply to message #95554
noeldaof
GK Event: Played in a GK Event GKGC Par: GKGC Par Supporter

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    N/A

RPGC MAIL USER ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Monday July 20, 2020 10:43 AM
Played Crystalaire cc over the week end and shot 84, 83, and 82. CCC posted me as 84, 92, 82, but I've already called and asked them to correct it. Fun weekend!
JVGA
 Message #95760 - This was a reply to message #95748
roarksown1
GK Event: Played in a GK Event Birdie Chain: Stake Holder BCB Birdie Chain GKGC Par: GKGC Par Supporter

Favorite Golfer:
    Ty Webb
Favorite Golf Course:
    Bighorn Golf Club

Monday July 20, 2020 11:36 AM
It's been a difficult golf recovery after all of the shutdowns and my game has simply disappeared for the past few months, evidenced by a four-round 100+ sequence that was doing my head in pretty good. Needing a confidence round, ended up two weekends ago at Woodley Lakes and that helped by finally getting back on track and sub-90 with an 87. However my monthly group had already set up our round at Westridge for this weekend, so I was pretty concerned about my game going back into the doghouse at a much more difficult course.

I opened the round with a triple and a quad (despite a terrific tee shot on the first hole) and all of my anxiety began to attack my psyche. But I gathered myself for a par on the par 3 3rd hole, then followed that up with a decent bogey on the par 5 4th hole, before going right back down into the basement with another triple on the par 4 5th. Then something nice clicked, I started to relax and birdied two of the next three holes, followed by some solid golf for the rest of the round with the one exception of another quad on the par 4 13th.

Finished the round 46-45 for a 91 despite two triples and two quads. It was not a sterling performance by any means but it did provide some confidence going forward and I know once again that I have good rounds in me. I'm excited to play again and that was something I had missed the last month or two. We'll see where it takes us moving forward.
 Message #95762 - This was a reply to message #95760
Nickesquire
GK Event: Played in a GK Event SCGA GK Golf Club: Member GKGC EAGLE: GKGC Eagle Supporter

Favorite Golfer:
    Jack-Freddie-Tiger-Rory
Favorite Golf Course:
    Pebble Poppy Maderas

Monday July 20, 2020 1:21 PM
Consistency is good. Unless it is consistently mediocre. 17 of my most recent 20 rounds have been between 83-89. Had a few good ball striking days mixed in, but usually the putter saved me from shooting worse than bogey golf on the more questionable ball striking days.

Playing two 36 hole days last week hi-lites this.

River Course @ the Alisal with GDR23 on Monday. 83 in the morning when it was calmer, 89 in the afternoon when it was much windier. Made more putts in the morning, but ball striking pretty consistent between the two rounds. The 6 stroke difference was putting and the wind. The 86 I averaged last Monday is close to my average score at this course over the years.

Then Thursday two rounds at very familiar courses (Soule Park and Elkins Ranch). These rounds emphasized how much course layout/knowledge and putting can mean to your score.

Did not hit the ball terrible, but only hit a few of what I would consider "good" shots in either round. Plenty of shots that could have been penalties on different course or layouts I was less familiar with. But only 1 penalty shot in each round. Knew from playing over a dozen prior rounds at each where not to miss played a part in that.

Putted great on the tougher, longer Soule layout to come in with a mid 80's score in the morning. Finally hit the ball consistently decent toward the end of the round.

So had reasonably high expectations for a decent last round @ Elkins. A course I had historically played well that I should be able to make some birdies or at least string some pars together on. However, proceeded to putt and hit the ball less than average on the shorter, easier Elkins layout to come in with a high 80's score later same day. Hit the ball about the same both rounds. Walking 36 for the first time in years I would like to blame for a poorer afternoon round score on an easier course. However, I know mediocrity when I see it. And my round @ Elkins was particularly mediocre. 16/18 holes were occasionally par or mostly bogey, with 2 others thrown in. Never that close to making birdie or in any serious danger (unless I missed a short putt) of making worse than bogey produced a score of 5 strokes over my average ER round.

Good course conditions, no wind, should be there for the taking to shoot a good score. But some days you just do not have your best ability to score.

Kevin and I both practiced our COVID-19 social distancing skills that round. Miss the fairway with a not overly long drive. Hit an approach in the general vicinity of the green. Follow that up with a lackadaisical chip. Then miss the 10-25' par putt... that was a frequent hole result for both myself and t8fish that particular round. Kevin would play down one side of the rough as I was playing down the other, then we would meet up again on the green. There may have only been a couple of holes the entire round that we were both in the fairway or both on the GIR. The amount of holes we both exactly bogeyed was almost laughable. I think we both had a double figure amount of bogeys?

I do not delude myself. Playing like I did that round would have been more like a 92-95 on a tougher, longer course with more trouble. As could the 85 @ Soule in the morning. If I had not been making much more than my normal share of 8-12' putts with even a few of my more wayward shots finding hazards, that round too could have ended up on the wrong side of 90.
The goal has always been long and straight! But since I can no longer hit them long, hopefully straighter could be achieved more than occasionally?
 Message #95768 - This was a reply to message #95762
michaelko
NorCal Community Staff

GK Event: Played in a GK Event

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    N/A

Monday July 20, 2020 4:20 PM
hitting pebble beach this weekend, playing the trifecta plus poppy (i've played poppy a few times).

looking forward to crossing this off my todo list. hoping my 6 index swing shows up. the last time i played poppy, i shot 79 at pasatiempo the day before (which was one of my best rounds of all time, felt like a 69), then shot 97 at poppy, without losing a ball. felt like a 97.
 Message #95773 - This was a reply to message #95768
mpisarski01
GK Event: Played in a GK Event GKGC EAGLE: GKGC Eagle Supporter Birdie Chain: Stake Holder BCB Birdie Chain SCGA GK Golf Club: Member

Favorite Golfer:
    John Daly & Anyone I beat
Favorite Golf Course:
    Griz. Ranch & Chambers

Sunday July 26, 2020 8:07 PM
Great rounds of Golf for me this weekend. 84 at cascata, 81 at reflection, and 80 at Mojave.

This leads me to look back at My New years resolution......Become a Single Digit Handicap. After posting todays 80 at Mojave it has happened I am now a 9.7 Handicap!!!!! (on GK) My SCGA will be closer to a 9.5 due to the 8 rounds counted.

I started the year at my lowest 10.1 only to be derailed by a Torn AC Joint which brought me all the way back to 13.3 at the end of May. After decent rounds in June and a lights out July I have finally joined the Single Digits.

Now to keep it under 10........
 Message #95820 - This was a reply to message #95670
Alex326
GK Event: Played in a GK Event Birdie Chain: Stake Holder BCB Birdie Chain GKGC EAGLE: GKGC Eagle Supporter

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    Pebble Beach

Sunday July 26, 2020 8:44 PM
QUOTED  ......Become a Single Digit Handicap

Nice work Matt!!

I myself, learned a few things this past weekend. One, I suck when I’m healthy! I shot 89 at Cascata which is the same exact score I had last time there (from the same tee boxes’) when I was perfectly healthy.

Second, when you can’t hit full strength shots, you focus on a controlled swing and hit more greens. At Reflection Bay, I had 10 GIR’s which may be an all time high. My score of 84 should have been a few strokes better but I started losing concentration with the putter at the end and gave up 2-4 strokes with the putter on the last three holes.

Third, When you stick your tee shot 2’ from the hole on a par 3 and take the (replica) BC, you forget about the pain from hitting the bump in the cart! Another 7 GIR’s today for an 84. Day 1 saw a handful of double bogeys and a triple or two. The next two days I only had 4 doubles total and no triple bogeys. I’m still in the double digit zone but I’m holding fast with an 11.5 handicap.
 Message #95821 - This was a reply to message #95820
rob1563

Southern Nevada Community Staff

GK Event: Played in a GK Event GKGC EAGLE: GKGC Eagle Supporter SCGA GK Golf Club: Member

Favorite Golfer:
    Ryan Moore
Favorite Golf Course:
    Wolf Creek

Friday July 31, 2020 6:38 PM
Just to catch up the last week:

Cascata: despite the best efforts of our caddy Dan, he could not overcome my bi-polar driving as I kept hitting into the desert instead of onto the grass. Bad score.

Reflection Bay: The driver again as I only hit 4 fairways, but I hit some nice recovery shots. Scenery is fantastic. 94 with 6 penalties.

Mojave: I was out until almost 3am with GregHolla and APisarski. I did win 2 rounds of Par 3 rollover skins with the shakiest 3 foot putt on 17 (after leaving a 3 footer on the previous par 3 about 6 inches short to win the pot). I did break 100.

Angel Park Mountain: one of those rounds where I thought I played really better than the final score. 46-50: 96. I could not hit 2 good shots in a row. Driver showed up on the back, along with the shankiest irons I've played. Played the same ball until I splashed it on my 2nd shot on 18.
 Message #95877 - This was a reply to message #95821

Listing 11 to 20 of 28 Replies

PAGES: 3 1 2 3

[ Community Page ]