RE: Golf GPS

GK Event: Played in a GK Event

Favorite Golfer:
    Ray Floyd - Craig Stadler
Favorite Golf Course:
    500 Club

RPGC MAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Friday July 31, 2015 8:11 PM
QUOTED  The GPS is ok but for me the Range Finder offers a lot more flexibility. You can say all you want about GPS but you won't get me to change my mind.

I know many people, especially serious players, prefer the accuracy and flexibility of the rangefinder. I believe them to be a valuable and useful tool, and wouldn't discourage anyone from using them.

I truly would never speak out against rangefinders, because I've never used one to have any authority to speak about them.

I only extol the virtues of GPS because it offered a cheap entry point for me as a casual player, and as a user I am aware of the benefits.
 Message #73049 - This was a reply to message #73042
BogeyFree

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    N/A

Friday July 31, 2015 8:49 PM
QUOTED There is really no reason for GPS data which is triangulated from a satellite to get fuzzy as you move away from a marker.

Having earned a PhD in Aerospace Engineering (although this isn't exactly my area of expertise), I can say anybody that believes GPS systems utilizes triangulation theories is reaching. There are so many mechanical, conceptual and practical issues that makes its application impractical.

What app developers have used are markers as references. Unlike a satellite, the marker does not send/receive a signal. Developers know where it is. Depending on where satellites are in orbit can cause variances (10% from horizon rule). I wonder if those of you ademantly supporting the accuracy of GPS know where your GPS antenna is located (a major deficiency is from shadowing).

So your app has a pretty good idea where you are from data collection. You might be helping the app by giving it a great strong signal. Or, you might be hurting your chances. To believe a group of satellites have your GPS triangulated is a misapplication. We all know GPS is worthless inside (not enough signal strength). Your location is determined via WiFi... more accurate than GPS. Although the services are seamless to us, their delivery should not be confused. If you're standing 2 feet away from a known marker, an application knows with 99.99% accuracy where you are. At 75 yards away from a marker, an app has a pretty good idea but naturally, not like it had at 2 feet.
 Message #73050 - This was a reply to message #73040
ringworld

Community Director

GK Event: Played in a GK Event ringworld-blog: golfing guru ringworld blog GKGC EAGLE: GKGC Eagle Supporter SCGA GK Golf Club: Member

Favorite Golfer:
    Rory Mcilroy he's peachy
Favorite Golf Course:
    Spanish Bay Pebble Beach

Saturday August 1, 2015 10:30 AM
I guess for me I scope out the target (the pin) and then I pick an area to hit before it using the club that will get that job done. For me I am trying to imagine the shot I want so I can execute. I have tried using a GPS from a golf cart and while it may give me a distance to the pin, for me scoping the target out myself and looking where I want to land is more important that a 2D picture on a screen. With what little depth perception I have it gives me more comfort to see the hole and figure out where I want it to land rather than a machine telling me the number I have to hit.
Work Hard. Play Golf! www.ace-cases.com
Oh yeah, I blog too: www.golfing-guru.com

Know before you go.... golfing with Greenskeeper.org!
 Message #73067 - This was a reply to message #73050
grantar2

Favorite Golfer:
    Danny Lee
Favorite Golf Course:
    Medowlark

Saturday August 1, 2015 10:46 AM
Most GPS locate your position by analyzing the signal from at least 3 GPS satellites in the constellation. "A GPS receiver must be locked on to the signal of at least three satellites to calculate a 2D position (latitude and longitude) and track movement. With four or more satellites in view, the receiver can determine the user's 3D position (latitude, longitude and altitude)."

Truth is I have 30 years in the precision weapons business, and have a pretty high regard for what can be done with GPS. Now is that being done with a free app, or public information no. But non-weapons accuracy is still better than the avg high handicappers ability.

I think my original point isn't one of GPS vs Rangefinder. Anyone who likes rifle shooting beyond 500 yards, likes a range finder (assuming you know the ballistics of your round). They are a great tool.

But for the person who doesn't have a range finder or a GPS, in fact doesn't use anything at all today. Just looks at score card, maybe the sprinkler head and tries to pace it off. A free or less than $15 dollar app, that will run on something they are going to carry with them anyway seems like a good way for them to take their game to the next level. This is especially true of a course they don't know.
 Message #73069 - This was a reply to message #73050
BogeyFree

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    N/A

Saturday August 1, 2015 11:16 AM
I was speaking with one of our engineers last night (he's not a golfer). He tells me not all smart phones are equipped with a GPS antennna - real estate within the walls of a smart phone is valuable. Although as smartphone become larger & GPS antennas smaller, consumers find a greater need, there's an evolutionary requirement. Iphone has a dedicated GPS antenna. Andriod? You'll need to research...

re: markers. If you're driving around with your Google-Map on, you'll notice Google mirrors you fairly accurately. Especially when you have GPS and WiFi locators on (high optimization). You're on public grounds where Google has saturated the environment with markers. Now, when you're in your own home (I happen to live in a private community away from public roads), you have X distance from those markers. You might find your Google-Map shuttering. If you go into your setting and turn off WiFi, you'll be in native GPS mode. There, you'll see a more pure evaluation of how accurate your GPS is. Toggling back a forth between pure GPS, pure WiFi (depending on how strong your WiFi signal is) and a combination of the two, you'll be able to measure it's effectiveness.

You should also try this little experiment at different times of the day. Your pure GPS will likely place you in a different location. Last night, as I walked around our local farmer's market, Google-Maps (pure GPS) mirrored me almost exactly with very little delay. At dinner, at a friend's in a moderately populated community, Google-Maps (pure-GPS) mirrored me but, had me walking in the middle of the street (I was on the sidewalk). At my home, Google-Maps (pure GPS), mirrored me inconsistently. Maps were anywhere from 5-18 yards off. My phone was on a patio table and I could track the satellite's arc as it tells my phone he's going swimming but, my phone never left the table.

I would encourage you to do the same experiment...

btw, I have a Samsung Galaxy S6
 Message #73070 - This was a reply to message #73067
addictedtugolf

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    N/A

RPGC MAIL USER ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Saturday August 1, 2015 11:52 AM
Here's an idea (thought). Next time playing your round and if someone has a GPS unit & another player has a Rangefinder unit.....Switch & play the first 9 holes only...then switch units back for the back nine and see if there is a different conclusion....just sayin....

~ATG~
"What's behind me.....is behind me". The original Cannonball Run
 Message #73072 - This was a reply to message #72971
Hogan

Favorite Golfer:
    Ben Hogan
Favorite Golf Course:
    Golf Club of Ca..LaPurisi

Saturday August 1, 2015 1:34 PM
Hello, Bushnell is the best, with or without the slope feature, you can use it on any range to practice with, get accurate range distances, especially when you are working on your wedge game, you can hit bunker, creek, other course features if needed, my buddy plays with an unnamed device. and we joke that is accurate to within 25 yards, plus or minus a few, only drawback is in misty, or rainy conditions, anyone serious about their games should take the time and effort to purchase a quality device, also, have played my new Hogan irons for about a month now, and they are probably the best iron clubs I have ever played, especially, the wedge line-up. these clubs live up to the hype...play well, stay healthy, CGG...
 Message #73076 - This was a reply to message #73072
Hogan

Favorite Golfer:
    Ben Hogan
Favorite Golf Course:
    Golf Club of Ca..LaPurisi

Saturday August 1, 2015 1:40 PM
One more thing, one of the best game improvement ideas is to hydrate, hydrate, hydrate...
 Message #73077 - This was a reply to message #73076
grantar2

Favorite Golfer:
    Danny Lee
Favorite Golf Course:
    Medowlark

Saturday August 1, 2015 2:51 PM
Agree on the hydrate.
 Message #73078 - This was a reply to message #73077
grantar2

Favorite Golfer:
    Danny Lee
Favorite Golf Course:
    Medowlark

Tuesday August 4, 2015 6:04 PM
In researching golf laser range finders which differ from both the hunting and weapons range finders I am more familiar with, there seems to be a discussion between those that calculate slope into the solution and those that don't.

In one example using a Bushnell V3 the readings between using the black face (no slope) and the red face (slope) were 19yards on a par 3 between the direct reading and the slope adjusted reading?

I assume that if your using straight range, you still have to factor in visually the yardage delta from being up hill or down hill?
 Message #73139 - This was a reply to message #73078

Listing 31 to 40 of 41 Replies

PAGES: 5 1 2 3 4 5

[ Community Page ]