Discussions in Golf Gear & Merchandise
Moderated By JohnnyGK, kviser, Paisano, TheClubWhisper, thingstodo

Forums
Golfing
Golf Gear & Merchandise
How to choose the right driver shaft ?
YOUR SETTINGSLIST FORUMSLIST TOPICSSEARCH

TOPIC: How to choose the right driver shaft ?

PRINT TOPICSEND THIS TO A FRIEND

Listing 1 to 10 of 11 Replies

PAGES: 2 1 2
Raymond
How to choose the right driver shaft ?

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    N/A

RPGC MAIL USER ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Saturday October 10, 2020 7:04 PM
Hi

I'm going to buy a shaft for the golf driver but can not decide which type is good.
Can anyone help me to choose the right driver shaft? . Which thing to pay attention when buy a driver shaft?

Tks
 Message #96592
Nickesquire
RE: How to choose the right driver shaft ?
GK Event: Played in a GK Event SCGA GK Golf Club: Member GKGC EAGLE: GKGC Eagle Supporter

Favorite Golfer:
    Jack-Freddie-Tiger-Rory
Favorite Golf Course:
    Pebble Poppy Maderas

RPGC MAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Saturday October 10, 2020 9:21 PM
First piece of advice... go to a fitting expert.

2nd piece of advice... I am no fitting expert. But here is a rough overview.

Stiffness of the shaft mostly dictated by your swing speed. A decent fitter can narrow down whether you would be best served with an X-Stiff, Stiff, Regular, Senior etc. shaft flex.

Heavier shaft may slightly lessen swing speed.

That is probably as far as most players go.

A good fitter can also make suggestions if you are on the borderline between cutoffs for each of the above shaft flexes. And perhaps steer you in the proper direction on shaft choices if you want to potentially lessen predominant swing flaws.

Depending on if you want to hit the ball higher or hit the ball lower, there are multiple options in each "flex" family that would encourage this.

A shaft in the same "category" (Stiff, Regular etc.) is not necessarily the same as another shaft in that same category. Subtle to not so subtle differences. Most manufacturers offer dozens of different shafts as standard options with their clubs. Look over in detail online their characteristics and specifications.

And the sky is the limit on "premium" shafts, depending on your budget.
The goal has always been long and straight! But since I can no longer hit them long, hopefully straighter could be achieved more than occasionally?
 Message #96596 - This was a reply to message #96592
FirstFlightFX-101
GKGC Par: GKGC Par Supporter GK Event: Played in a GK Event

Favorite Golfer:
    Dave Stockton
Favorite Golf Course:
    Oak Q, Oak V

Sunday October 11, 2020 1:15 AM
Agree with Nick's post. Expectations usually run pretty high for the driver. Put your phone in slo-mo mode...look for the overall flex at the start of the downswing and about 15 degrees before impact. Look for the torque and kick-point to both occur starting about 10 degrees before impact. That club gets seriously out of shape compared to sitting still. Use footspray on the face at the same time to get just a glimpse of what is happening with each shot.
Factoring in things like length, lie, loft, heft, swingweight and swing speed...has finally convinced me that I need to see a fitter so that these are all attempted and addressed, and not ignored. I want the combo that I can better split fairways with, and often.
Cheers,
 Message #96599 - This was a reply to message #96596
michaelko
NorCal Community Staff

GK Event: Played in a GK Event

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    N/A

Monday October 12, 2020 7:39 AM
i don't see how the only answer isn't: go get fitted.

unless you are a fitter, how can you know all the options of all the shafts, and what they do, and where the kick point is, or torque doodad, or how this affects that?

and you need the numbers that only a tracker can provide... the fitting tools/tech is so good and acccurate... it seems like a prerequisite for picking a shaft.

If you are going to spend hundreds of dollars on a club, why leave it to your unskilled brain to pick a shaft.

And then, it's not just the shaft. It's the shaft combined with the loft/lie angle of the clubhead, combined with YOUR swing.

go to a fitter, or a manufacturer demo day, and get on a tracker, and let the numbers tell the story. Any decent fitter will be able to show you your old numbers against the club/shaft you are demoing...
 Message #96605 - This was a reply to message #96599
Hollis

Favorite Golfer:
    Not sure
Favorite Golf Course:
    Goosecreekgc gc

Monday October 12, 2020 8:10 AM
Oh boy lots of good info, but no actual answer. I'm to assume you already know about fitters and such and wanted a baseline to make this decision on that would cost you little to no money, right?
Okay, just basics here: get to local golf store, hit a few balls in their stall, note clubhead speed on display, that's your swing speed.
<80-senior flex <90-reg flex<100-stiff flex 100+extra stiff
Then there is low, mid, and high launch, self explanatory as to what you might need in your individual game. Hope I helped...
 Message #96606 - This was a reply to message #96592
noeldaof
GK Event: Played in a GK Event GKGC Par: GKGC Par Supporter

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    N/A

RPGC MAIL USER ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Monday October 12, 2020 9:25 AM
The best person to ask this question is a certified fitter.
The best answers you're gonna get from are the certified fitters.
Go get fitted.
JVGA
 Message #96607 - This was a reply to message #96592
michaelko
NorCal Community Staff

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    N/A

Monday October 12, 2020 9:28 AM
QUOTED  Oh boy lots of good info, but no actual answer.

huh?

the ONLY answer is: go see a fitter.
 Message #96608 - This was a reply to message #96606
Deepsea14
GK Event: Played in a GK Event GKGC EAGLE: GKGC Eagle Supporter Birdie Chain: Stake Holder BCB Birdie Chain

Favorite Golfer:
    Dad and his Dad
Favorite Golf Course:
    The one I'm playing

Monday October 12, 2020 1:29 PM
Best Answer: get a professional fitting on a tracker.

A good fitting session will cost you money a portion of which maybe credited if you decide to purchase. It takes time to do correctly.

Bring what your playing now and compare to the potential improvements offered vs what you have.

Consider cost and make decision.
 Message #96613 - This was a reply to message #96608
FirstFlightFX-101
GKGC Par: GKGC Par Supporter GK Event: Played in a GK Event

Favorite Golfer:
    Dave Stockton
Favorite Golf Course:
    Oak Q, Oak V

Monday October 12, 2020 1:47 PM
Glad the common denominator here is, 'get fitted'.

My cleveland launchers have gold shafts, nicknamed: gold member 1 & 2. I forgot to mention, color matters too.
When talking about and paying for shaft, it may as well be a gold member.
 Message #96615 - This was a reply to message #96592
Nickesquire
GK Event: Played in a GK Event SCGA GK Golf Club: Member GKGC EAGLE: GKGC Eagle Supporter

Favorite Golfer:
    Jack-Freddie-Tiger-Rory
Favorite Golf Course:
    Pebble Poppy Maderas

Monday October 12, 2020 2:53 PM
QUOTED  <80-senior flex <90-reg flex<100-stiff flex 100+extra stiff

Hollis, while these are not bad "ballpark" numbers, I have to respectfully disagree with the upper end, based on experience.

My swing speed was consistently in the 102-105 range the last time checked and I am comfortably in the stiff (not extra stiff) range. However, even in comparing one stiff shaft to another stiff shaft, there was a huge difference in some of the low trajectory shafts and the high trajectory shafts. Same clubhead and I was carrying the ball about 40 yards different. Unless they just play tees/courses without forced carries, anyone without a swing speed significantly higher than mine better not be selecting the lowest trajectory stiff shafts available.

The guy had me try an extra stiff premium shaft just for kicks... I was hitting it about 20-25 yards dead right and a good 20 yards shorter than normal because there was no way I had the swing speed to play that shaft.

QUOTED  unless you are a fitter, how can you know all the options of all the shafts, and what they do, and where the kick point is, or torque doodad, or how this affects that?

Michael, I do not claim to be an expert on fitting or on shafts. But I looked up every shaft option Ping and Taylormade offer on their website. Then went in to a fitter with my notes and had them put every shaft I was interested in on different clubs and hit them. And hit them. And hit them. I think there were no more than 1 or 2 out of the dozen plus shafts I asked for that they could not change out in the store to hit on the simulator.

You start seeing a dozen green trajectory shots with this club/shaft, then a dozen yellow trajectory shots with another shaft, then another dozen red trajectory shots with another etc... it should be obvious which ones you hit better based on your intended/desired ball flight.

In 2 sessions to compare results, I pretty much verified what my notes indicated beforehand. And I fully realize I am far from normal in that regard. First question the fitter asked me was how far I hit my average driver? Told him 258 and he was literally LOL.

Explained the Arccos "smart range" where they throw out your bottom 20% of all shots and the top 20% of all shots with each club and told him that my Driver "range" was between 251-274 with an average of 258 for a few thousand actual, on course Driver shots over the past few years as measured by Arccos. You should have saw the look on the guys face when I showed him the program with hundreds of rounds of drives tracked.... and let him look at drive by drive, hole by hole... How many I missed left, how many I missed right, how many in the fairway etc.

He was laughing even harder when he started asking questions while looking over those results... After noticing a round with a bunch of Drivers in the low 200's @ Morro Bay, he asked was I having a bad driving day? No, almost all good shots, just numerous holes uphill or into the wind and kikuyu negating the roll... oh, okay... Then he got to a June round from Tucson... What is this 343, 321 and 327 @ El Conquistador??? This cannot be correct? Yes, elevated tees, hard ground w/o lush grass where the first bounce looked like it hit a cart path and it rolled and rolled and rolled... okay, got it...

But it all averages out when you play as many different courses as I do. As do the putting and GIR stats.

He spent about 30 minutes with my Arccos app stats and was showing it to the other employees while I pounded 7 irons and Drivers with many different shafts/clubs on the simulator.

But while it may have been presented different by each person, the general consensus from everyone who volunteered an answer we do all agree on... go to a professional. And I would add that if you question anything they are telling you, go to another and verify what the first said before you buy new clubs based on their recommendation.
The goal has always been long and straight! But since I can no longer hit them long, hopefully straighter could be achieved more than occasionally?
 Message #96616 - This was a reply to message #96606

Listing 1 to 10 of 11 Replies

PAGES: 2 1 2

[ Community Page ]