NorCal Community Staff

GK Event: Played in a GK Event

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    N/A

RPGC MAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Friday November 20, 2020 5:20 PM
Recently bought new irons, and had to make a decision on the makeup of the set.

previously:
3w, 5w,
4H: 200,
5H 190 ,
5-9,
PW 45 120 yds
GW 52 110 yds,
LW 60 85 yds:

the new titleist irons T200 added 10 yds and flew higher, though they are less lofted.
So, reconfigured my hybrids, added another wedge, and took the 3w that I could only hit off a tee out of my bag.
So:
5w: 220
4H: 210
5H: 200
5-9
PW 43: 130yds
GW 48 120
GW 54 105
LW 60 85

now: want to get 10-15 more yds out of my fairway wood

so just ordered a titleist Ti2, 18 deg FW to replace my cleveland launcher 5w 19deg. I should get 10-15 more yds out of it and still hit it high, and I can choke up on it to fill in the 220 gap. i tried hitting a 16 deg, and just could not get it in the air.

1 wood, 2 hybrids, 4 wedges

what is your setup?
 Message #97006
Nickesquire
RE: Bag setup
GK Event: Played in a GK Event SCGA GK Golf Club: Member GKGC EAGLE: GKGC Eagle Supporter

Favorite Golfer:
    Jack-Freddie-Tiger-Rory
Favorite Golf Course:
    Pebble Poppy Maderas

Friday November 20, 2020 6:29 PM
Excellent question Michael. Still working on mine with new clubs current auditioning.

I am currently playing:

9.5 degree Driver
15 degree 3W
18 degree 5W
10 irons, from a 21 degree 4I up to a 60 degree LW.

But like you, I keenly look for adequate yardage coverage with no large gaps.

I recently went with a stronger 3W to hit it lower off the tee on non Driver holes and to also have a greater chance of reaching par 5's in two as I age and continue to lose distance. I was worried that going from a 16.5 degree to a 15 degree would make it too hard for me to hit out of the fairway. But so far, so good.

I recently went back to a 5W for the first time in decades. A 5W was a club I used to really enjoy playing. I can hit it much higher than the same degree 2I I carried for years and slightly longer. I was not happy with the gap between my old 3W and 2I. Left me with too many shots I was trying to get 100% out of the 2I or finesse the 3W with some kind of choked down or punch shot to take 20 yards off. Works okay if I can roll it up, not so good if I need to carry it the required distance.

First time I have ever carried a 60 degree, prior LW's were more in the 56-58 degree range. I need something that would provide a greater chance of getting short sided approach shots popped up and safely on the green than my skill level was able to accomplish with a lower lofted recovery club.
The goal has always been long and straight! But since I can no longer hit them long, hopefully straighter could be achieved more than occasionally?
 Message #97007 - This was a reply to message #97006
1PLUS1

GK Event: Played in a GK Event

Favorite Golfer:
    Seve; Nick Faldo
Favorite Golf Course:
    Belgrade Lakes (Maine)

Friday November 20, 2020 9:49 PM
IN THE BAG...

Driver: 10.5 Degrees

Hybrids: 17-19-21 Degrees

Irons: 4-PW @ 23-46 Degrees

SW: 52 Degrees

SW: 58 Degrees

Putter: 3 Degrees

NB: Depending on the course, I might add my 15-degree 3-Wood or 15-Degree Hybrid into the mix, removing the 4-Iron or another Hybrid in order to stay within the 14-club limit. It all depends on the length of the Par-5s and Par-3s and which clubs I feel may warrant more usage. I'll also opt for the 3-Wood if I'm playing a course that features longish rough as it's a lot easier to get out of that stuff with a more compact fairway wood head vs. the elongated design of a hybrid.

Even though there's just a two-degree variance in loft on the Hybrids, I have about a 15-yard 'buffer' to work with within each one so they're usually part of the regular 'lineup'. Being a control-type player, I'm not going to be chasing after Par-5s in two so the Hybrids fit my needs perfectly.

SWs have got me covered from 60 to 105 yards...while providing plenty of versatility around the greens...so there's no need to add a third. Being able to regulate my wedge distances via the length of my backswing/follow-through has given me a ton of flexibility at that end of the bag.
 Message #97008 - This was a reply to message #97006
Deepsea14
GK Event: Played in a GK Event GKGC EAGLE: GKGC Eagle Supporter Birdie Chain: Stake Holder BCB Birdie Chain

Favorite Golfer:
    Dad and his Dad
Favorite Golf Course:
    The one I'm playing

Saturday November 21, 2020 8:21 AM
A guy that has inconsistency as the consistent part of his game offers:
QUOTED  now: want to get 10-15 more yds out of my fairway wood

Not so much fill the gap, but expand the distance on the top-of-scale. Seems to be your quest?

I'd say you're on the right track with the new Ti2 maybe that will be longer than the current 220.
Get fit for a 3 wood (really your driver) ? if you love the feel of the new 5W?

My set-up I've taken the 5 iron out but keep a 4 iron in for recovery shots out of the trees or the occasional low stinger needed elsewhere.

60 year old Papa plays (21.0 index)
10.5 Driver 210-260
16 3W 200
17.5 5W 190
21.5 4H 180
22.0-25.0 5H
4 iron
6-PW
Ping Anser 2.0

I have a few options to switch out clubs from the closet if a particular club needs discipline (not working), the course or conditions dictate, seasonal weather or geography gives me reason. But that's more a mental exercise for me. I do practice par three distances when prepping to play when I can.

Once knew a guy that carried 4 seven woods for different situations and yardages but that's another story.
 Message #97009 - This was a reply to message #97008
Nickesquire
GK Event: Played in a GK Event SCGA GK Golf Club: Member GKGC EAGLE: GKGC Eagle Supporter

Favorite Golfer:
    Jack-Freddie-Tiger-Rory
Favorite Golf Course:
    Pebble Poppy Maderas

Saturday November 21, 2020 11:36 AM
QUOTED  Once knew a guy that carried 4 seven woods for different situations and yardages but that's another story.

I have played with similar guys Peter!

Read this recently online. The 14 club limit was established around 80 years ago. QUESTION: What was the club limit before it was 14?

Know more than one who carries multiple drivers or multiple putters in their bag. And one guy had a designated "chipper" with a hickory shaft that was roughly a 7 iron, except he did not want to use a 7 iron to chip with and carry another club instead of his "chipper".

ANSWER: There was no limit on clubs. In the article, it said that it was not uncommon for golfers to carry between 18-25 clubs for different situations.

Maybe some of us could actually play if he had a high draw and high fade driver, a low draw and low fade driver, short distance and long distance putters along with all those seven woods and a complete iron, fairway wood and hybrid set? lol!
The goal has always been long and straight! But since I can no longer hit them long, hopefully straighter could be achieved more than occasionally?
 Message #97010 - This was a reply to message #97009

Listing 1 to 5 of 5 Replies

PAGES: 1

[ Community Page ]