mlslaw
Rules question

Favorite Golfer:
    Fred Couples
Favorite Golf Course:
    Rustic Canyon

RPGC MAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Monday September 13, 2021 3:37 PM
Situation: Two balls on the fringe (not on putting surface), one blocking the path of the other. Farther away player asks the closer in player to mark his ball. Playing partner says rules state you can only mark on the putting green, not off. We've always thought the rules said otherwise???????
 Message #100074
dconnally
RE: Rules question

GK Event: Played in a GK Event GK Cup: Past & Current Champions of The GK Cup GKGC BIRDIE: GKGC Birdie Supporter Birdie Chain: Stake Holder BCB Birdie Chain SCGA GK Golf Club: Member GK Guru: GK Gurus Review Writers GK Cup Player: If you played in a GK Cup win or lose - you are acknowledged and appreciated!

Favorite Golfer:
    Arnie
Favorite Golf Course:
    Oak Quarry; Tobiano

Monday September 13, 2021 4:57 PM
Other players can mark in a bunker, so on the fringe doesn't seem like a problem.

How much money were you guys playing for??!!
Remember, we could be at work!!
 Message #100075 - This was a reply to message #100074
RDDenn

GK Event: Played in a GK Event GK Guru: GK Gurus Review Writers GK Cup Player: If you played in a GK Cup win or lose - you are acknowledged and appreciated!

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    Barona Creek

Monday September 13, 2021 5:24 PM
Yes, you can mark anywhere on the course (don't know about a hazard). The marking player is not allowed to clean the ball. I have been told you have to hold it with your fingertips although I did not see anything in the rule about that. I saw Bubba Watson mark off the green when asked while playing at Riviera. He walked a few feet away and put the ball down while waiting to go back and re-mark it.

Rule 14.c.:

c. Cleaning Lifted Ball
When you lift your ball from the putting green it may always be cleaned. When you lift your ball from anywhere else it may always be cleaned except when you lift it:

To see if it is cut or cracked – cleaning is not allowed.

To identify it – cleaning is allowed only as needed to identify it.

Because it interferes with play – cleaning is not allowed.

To see if it lies in a condition where relief is allowed – cleaning is not allowed, unless you then take relief under a Rule.

If you clean a lifted ball when not allowed, you get one penalty stroke.
 Message #100076 - This was a reply to message #100074
noeldaof
GK Event: Played in a GK Event GKGC Par: GKGC Par Supporter GK Guru: GK Gurus Review Writers

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    N/A

RPGC MAIL USER ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Tuesday September 14, 2021 8:35 AM
I'm remembering you can mark the ball off the green. I also remember that the old way of lifting then marking and placing the ball the way it sat had changed and that you can now lift clean place. But I could be wrong.
JVGA
 Message #100078 - This was a reply to message #100076
mlslaw

Favorite Golfer:
    Fred Couples
Favorite Golf Course:
    Rustic Canyon

Wednesday September 15, 2021 4:50 PM
QUOTED  you can now lift clean place. But I could be wrong.

Hope ur right. Kind of makes sense to be able to clean it. Why not?
 Message #100088 - This was a reply to message #100078
Nickesquire
GK Event: Played in a GK Event SCGA GK Golf Club: Member GKGC EAGLE: GKGC Eagle Supporter GK Guru: GK Gurus Review Writers GK Cup Player: If you played in a GK Cup win or lose - you are acknowledged and appreciated!

Favorite Golfer:
    Jack Freddie Tiger Rory
Favorite Golf Course:
    Pebble Wolf Creek Poppy

Wednesday September 15, 2021 5:23 PM
What RDDen said above... you cannot gain an advantage in tournament play just because your ball happened to be in the way of an opponents ball.

What Bubba did is a perfect example. He was being very careful for a reason. He would have been eligible for a penalty if he had cleaned his ball that he put it in play on the tee and before it reached the green. Once your ball reaches the green, a properly marked ball can be cleaned. Until then, whatever is on it gets played.

Exception being if you are taking some sort of penalty drop. Even if you are using the same ball (retreived from 1' OB or 1' in the lake), the penalty deems that you are putting a new ball in play and eligible to start with a clean ball. Absent a penalty stroke, I know of no example where you can legally clean your ball as you see fit after you tee off and before it is marked on the putting surface.
The goal has always been long and straight! But since I can no longer hit them long, hopefully straighter could be achieved more than occasionally?
 Message #100090 - This was a reply to message #100076
dconnally

GK Event: Played in a GK Event GK Cup: Past & Current Champions of The GK Cup GKGC BIRDIE: GKGC Birdie Supporter Birdie Chain: Stake Holder BCB Birdie Chain SCGA GK Golf Club: Member GK Guru: GK Gurus Review Writers GK Cup Player: If you played in a GK Cup win or lose - you are acknowledged and appreciated!

Favorite Golfer:
    Arnie
Favorite Golf Course:
    Oak Quarry; Tobiano

Wednesday September 15, 2021 7:52 PM
Nick, I think you can clean a ball when you take relief from an embedded lie under the embedded ball rule. The rule allows for use of the same ball or a substitute ball, indicating that it could be a clean ball.
Remember, we could be at work!!
 Message #100091 - This was a reply to message #100090
Nickesquire
GK Event: Played in a GK Event SCGA GK Golf Club: Member GKGC EAGLE: GKGC Eagle Supporter GK Guru: GK Gurus Review Writers GK Cup Player: If you played in a GK Cup win or lose - you are acknowledged and appreciated!

Favorite Golfer:
    Jack Freddie Tiger Rory
Favorite Golf Course:
    Pebble Wolf Creek Poppy

Wednesday September 15, 2021 8:16 PM
QUOTED  Nick, I think you can clean a ball when you take relief from an embedded lie under the embedded ball rule. The rule allows for use of the same ball or a substitute ball, indicating that it could be a clean ball.

That makes sense David.
The goal has always been long and straight! But since I can no longer hit them long, hopefully straighter could be achieved more than occasionally?
 Message #100092 - This was a reply to message #100091
Itslikeimsayin
GK Event: Played in a GK Event GKGC BIRDIE: GKGC Birdie Supporter SCGA GK Golf Club: Member GK Guru: GK Gurus Review Writers GK Cup Player: If you played in a GK Cup win or lose - you are acknowledged and appreciated!

Favorite Golfer:
    Phil Mickelson
Favorite Golf Course:
    DragonRidge CC

Wednesday September 15, 2021 8:57 PM
Also I'm fairly certain if you're taking relief from a cart path you can clean your ball.
 Message #100093 - This was a reply to message #100092
Nickesquire

Favorite Golfer:
    Jack Freddie Tiger Rory
Favorite Golf Course:
    Pebble Wolf Creek Poppy

Thursday September 16, 2021 9:26 AM
QUOTED  Also I'm fairly certain if you're taking relief from a cart path you can clean your ball.

Sounds like you are correct Mark. Copied this from a golf rules forum online:

When a golf ball is about to be put into play, a golfer can clean the ball. If a golfer is putting a new ball into play after losing their previous ball or hitting it out of bounds, they can clean a ball before putting it into play. Before a golfer is about to take relief, a golfer can clean the ball.

So sounds like ANY relief granted under the rules... imbedded ball, cart path, sprinkler etc. entitles you to clean your ball.

I have been playing for over 45 years, and it honestly never occured to me that you are actually entitled to clean your ball EVERY time you take a drop for any reason.

Or is their an exception I am missing?
 Message #100097 - This was a reply to message #100093

Listing 1 to 10 of 13 Replies

PAGES: 2 1 2

[ Community Page ]