YOUR SETTINGSLIST FORUMSLIST TOPICSSEARCH

TOPIC: Semantics of Golf Announcing: "Unlucky"

PRINT TOPICSEND THIS TO A FRIEND

Listing 11 to 20 of 65 Replies

PAGES: 7 1 2 3 4 5
weber2323
RE: Semantics of Golf Announcing: "Unlucky"
SoCal Community Staff

GK Event: Played in a GK Event GKGC EAGLE: GKGC Eagle Supporter SCGA GK Golf Club: Member

Favorite Golfer:
    David Duval
Favorite Golf Course:
    La Jolla Country Club

RPGC MAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Friday July 7, 2017 9:54 AM
Is winning the lottery not "lucky"? Would a better way to say it be "bad luck"?

I do find myself saying this when I'm playing but I think (not 100% sure) I'll say it as a way to encourage a golfer who is struggling. For someone who may not play that often. With this industry I don't think we can afford to turn people away. So I believe if I tell them that something was unlucky then maybe they won't be as discouraged to play again.
 Message #84615 - This was a reply to message #84612
leef2020
GK Event: Played in a GK Event

Favorite Golfer:
    Jack & Jordan
Favorite Golf Course:
    Baltusrol

Friday July 7, 2017 9:59 AM
After making and seeing many others' 'good' results from poorly struck balls, it is indeed sometimes better to be 'lucky' than 'good'.
 Message #84616 - This was a reply to message #84585
evildrummerhb

Favorite Golfer:
    Hunter, Phil, Freddie C.
Favorite Golf Course:
    Emerald Canyon

Friday July 7, 2017 11:07 AM
Last week I hit a dead straight, 295 on the fly drive to an absolutely flat fairway, with no sprinkler heads or divots anywhere near the landing zone. The ball inexplicably kicked straight right upon landing, directly into a fairway bunker, and lodged under the far right lip. The point of landing was about 15 yards directly left of said bunker.

If that's not "unlucky" I don't know what is. Had to take an unplayable. I searched the fairway for rocks or imperfections and found nothing.
 Message #84625 - This was a reply to message #84585
Rat-Patrol
GK Event: Played in a GK Event Birdie Chain: Stake Holder BCB Birdie Chain

Favorite Golfer:
    My Grandpa was
Favorite Golf Course:
    Balboa Park GC

Friday July 7, 2017 11:30 AM
Who was it that said, "the more I practice the luckier I get"?
 Message #84626 - This was a reply to message #84625
shizzyfinn

Favorite Golfer:
    Justin Rose
Favorite Golf Course:
    Balboa Park

Friday July 7, 2017 12:07 PM
QUOTED  When it comes to most sports, I prefer no announcer at all. I'd rather just see the action rather than hear their take on it.

If you watch sports on a home-theater setup with 5 speakers, it is usually possible to get rid of the announcers while still hearing all the other sounds.

All you have to do is unplug the center speaker. For most sporting events, the announcers are limited to that center speaker, so when you unplug it, you don't hear them anymore - but you do hear all the other sounds of the game.

I started using this trick a few years ago and now do it all the time... not only does it avoid the annoying commentary, it also lets you hear players say things that are ordinarily drowned out (especially in football where you hear tons more, from snap counts and audibles to players taunting each other).

Definitely recommend giving it a try! It is particularly enjoyable for football, basketball and baseball... golf is actually the one sport where I tend to leave the announcers on, just because they tend to add information that isn't readily visible to the viewer.
 Message #84627 - This was a reply to message #84605
Itslikeimsayin
GK Event: Played in a GK Event GKGC BIRDIE: GKGC Birdie Supporter SCGA GK Golf Club: Member

Favorite Golfer:
    Phil Mickelson
Favorite Golf Course:
    DragonRidge CC

Friday July 7, 2017 12:12 PM
QUOTED  Last week I hit a dead straight, 295 on the fly drive to an absolutely flat fairway, with no sprinkler heads or divots anywhere near the landing zone. The ball inexplicably kicked straight right upon landing, directly into a fairway bunker, and lodged under the far right lip. The point of landing was about 15 yards directly left of said bunker.

If that's not "unlucky" I don't know what is. Had to take an unplayable. I searched the fairway for rocks or imperfections and found nothing.

This isn't the type of thing I was talking about in my original post. This, or putts hitting an imperfection on the green and bouncing off line, approach shots striking the flagstick and bouncing off the green – those are truly "unlucky" happenings.

1PLUS1 gave a great example of what I'm talking about. It's shots that might have a chance to catch a lucky bounce or ridge, but don't. And then the announcers act like the guy got screwed. That's what annoys me.

QUOTED  Is winning the lottery not "lucky"? Would a better way to say it be "bad luck"?

Winning the lottery is indeed lucky. I had very long odds to win, so I wouldn't say losing is unlucky. I got what was most likely to happen. Turning back to golf, it's the implied expectation of luck that bothers me with the announcers. For example, an approach shot hits on a sidehill mound but still kicks through to the back of the green rather than bouncing onto the green. "Oh, he got a little unlucky there." I'd argue he got what he deserved, but if he had gotten the bounce, then he would've gotten lucky.
 Message #84628 - This was a reply to message #84625
caligolfer1031

Favorite Golfer:
    Adam Scott, Bubba Watson
Favorite Golf Course:
    Spyglass Hill

Friday July 7, 2017 12:21 PM
I hate when they say "that was a nice golf shot". What kind of shot could it had been?
 Message #84629 - This was a reply to message #84628
abbacat

GK Event: Played in a GK Event GKGC Par: GKGC Par Supporter SCGA GK Golf Club: Member

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    N/A

Friday July 7, 2017 2:03 PM
I don't like "good par". Is there a bad par?
 Message #84630 - This was a reply to message #84629
kviser

SoCal Community Staff

GK Event: Played in a GK Event LA-GK-Meetup-Winner: LA GK Meetup Winner GKGC BIRDIE: GKGC Birdie Supporter SCGA GK Golf Club: Member

Favorite Golfer:
    Fred Couples
Favorite Golf Course:
    Pebble Beach

Friday July 7, 2017 3:04 PM
QUOTED  Who was it that said, "the more I practice the luckier I get"?

Arnold Palmer
QUOTED  If you watch sports on a home-theater setup with 5 speakers, it is usually possible to get rid of the announcers while still hearing all the other sounds.

All you have to do is unplug the center speaker. For most sporting events, the announcers are limited to that center speaker, so when you unplug it, you don't hear them anymore - but you do hear all the other sounds of the game.

Hmm, I might try this.
 Message #84631 - This was a reply to message #84626
mlslaw

Favorite Golfer:
    Fred Couples
Favorite Golf Course:
    Rustic Canyon

Saturday July 8, 2017 1:37 PM
QUOTED  the more I practice the luckier I get"?

I made an impossibly long putt from the fringe a while ago---the odds were extremely long to make it. After sinking it, I said, "just a really lucky putt." One player asked: "Did you intend to make that putt?" me: "yes" -- other player: "Then it wasn't lucky at all b/c you intended to make it." He's got a point. This is kind of the converse of the "unlucky' thread.

[[Edited by mlslaw on Saturday July 8, 2017 1:41 PM]]
 Message #84646 - This was a reply to message #84626

Listing 11 to 20 of 65 Replies

PAGES: 7 1 2 3 4 5

[ Community Page ]