RE: Semantics of Golf Announcing: "Unlucky"

GK Event: Played in a GK Event

Favorite Golfer:
    Seve; Nick Faldo
Favorite Golf Course:
    Belgrade Lakes (Maine)

RPGC MAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Monday July 10, 2017 7:30 PM
QUOTED  I watched about five minutes of the Senior LPGA tournament today...

You're to be commended Mark...that's about five minutes more than I would ever care to watch, regardless of whether it's the Senior LPGA or PGA Champions Tour. Even though I easily fall within that age bracket, I get absolutely nothing from watching a full field of the 50-and-over crowd play. Not sure what it is...maybe I'm just not into that nostalgia trip.

QUOTED  ...and heard it once: A player's short-iron attempt landed about 25 feet short of the pin and then sucked it back another 10 feet after landing. Verdict? Unlucky! Like someone who's a senior golfer--playing professional for at least 25-30 years--didn't expect a short iron to back up when it hit the green?

Ridiculous, isn't it? I don't know the reason why...ignorance, laziness, a lack of perception, or an unwritten "obligation" to not criticize the player in question...but whatever it is makes these announcers come off as blatant hacks. If the late Ken Venturi were in the booth...or the vastly under-appreciated Warren Humphreys...that player would have been rightfully admonished for not clubbing down and hitting a dead-handed shot to remove the possibility of putting an excessive amount of backspin on the ball. Instead, we're offered excuses.

[[Edited by 1PLUS1 on Monday July 10, 2017 7:43 PM]]
 Message #84695 - This was a reply to message #84692
grantar2

Favorite Golfer:
    Danny Lee
Favorite Golf Course:
    Medowlark

Monday July 17, 2017 7:25 PM
I think there are cases where "unlucky" applies. The player hits the fairway perfectly down the middle of the fairway but a) hits a sprinkler head and the ball takes a bad hop. b) the ball finds an un-repaird divot. The ball is rejected by the cup late in the round because the lip of the cup has been compromised during the course of play.

As for the Champions Tour, I find it very interesting to watch how older players have changed equipment, evolved playing styles, and play selected shots differently than they would have in their prime, all on courses more similar to what a club golfer might play. Also the senior players continue to play with far less input from the caddies than modern tour players.
 Message #84881 - This was a reply to message #84695
1PLUS1

Favorite Golfer:
    Seve; Nick Faldo
Favorite Golf Course:
    Belgrade Lakes (Maine)

Monday July 17, 2017 7:58 PM
QUOTED  Also the senior players continue to play with far less input from the caddies than modern tour players.

The "modern tour player-caddy" dynamic has been taken to an extreme. I get the impression many of the players aren't capable of tying their own shoes without their caddy's assistance...and that only occurs after they consult with them as to which shoe they should put on first.
 Message #84883 - This was a reply to message #84881
Rat-Patrol
GK Event: Played in a GK Event Birdie Chain: Stake Holder BCB Birdie Chain

Favorite Golfer:
    My Grandpa was
Favorite Golf Course:
    Balboa Park GC

Monday July 17, 2017 8:17 PM
I see that some of the LPGA players have simply made themselves the vehicle for which the caddy steers. Not sure if PGA players take it that far.

On the idea of luck, the odds of random circumstance can fall a number of different ways. Once the ball leaves the club face many things can occur that are completely out if the control of the player . . . yes, there are lucky and unlucky breaks, too many to list . . . and yes, the two terms are used a bit to frequently.
 Message #84886 - This was a reply to message #84883
CPennbo

Community Director/Women

Favorite Golfer:
    Mickelson
Favorite Golf Course:
    Eagle Falls/Balboa

Monday July 17, 2017 8:44 PM
QUOTED  [Posted By Rat-Patrol on 07.17.2017 8:17 PM]

I see that some of the LPGA players have simply made themselves the vehicle for which the caddy steers. Not sure if PGA players take it that far.

I don't see this. I see about the same percentage of players in PGA and LPGA listening carefully to their caddies. However it does seem that the younger players tend to do this more and that is understandable.
New Year's Resolution- HAVE MORE FUN, DO MORE, SEE MORE, LAUGH MORE!
 Message #84889 - This was a reply to message #84886
Rat-Patrol

Favorite Golfer:
    My Grandpa was
Favorite Golf Course:
    Balboa Park GC

Monday July 17, 2017 8:48 PM
I watched a lot of the Women's US Open, that talked about a few of the players, ShanShan Feng for one, put themselves in the hands of their caddies.

Just what I learned watching the telecast.
 Message #84890 - This was a reply to message #84889
Itslikeimsayin
GK Event: Played in a GK Event GKGC BIRDIE: GKGC Birdie Supporter SCGA GK Golf Club: Member

Favorite Golfer:
    Phil Mickelson
Favorite Golf Course:
    DragonRidge CC

Monday July 17, 2017 8:58 PM
QUOTED  I see that some of the LPGA players have simply made themselves the vehicle for which the caddy steers. Not sure if PGA players take it that far.

I felt that way when they caught a lengthy pre-shot conversation between Christy Kerr and her caddy at one point during the U.S. Open. I was very surprised -- especially for a player who seems so headstrong -- at how much she relied on his direction, unless perhaps that is just her way of making sure they're on the same page before she hits.
 Message #84891 - This was a reply to message #84886
Rat-Patrol

Favorite Golfer:
    My Grandpa was
Favorite Golf Course:
    Balboa Park GC

Monday July 17, 2017 9:02 PM
Not a "feeling" of mine, the announcers talked about how some of the players strictly did what their caddies told them, sorry if no one believes that, but that was a discussion. They also said that the winner Sung Hyun Park was so competitive she didn't want anyone telling her anything.
 Message #84892 - This was a reply to message #84891
grantar2

Favorite Golfer:
    Danny Lee
Favorite Golf Course:
    Medowlark

Monday July 17, 2017 9:05 PM
QUOTED 

The "modern tour player-caddy" dynamic has been taken to an extreme. I get the impression many of the players aren't capable of tying their own shoes without their caddy's assistance...and that only occurs after they consult with them as to which shoe they should put on first.

That is actually the subject of an article in the August issue for Golf Digest (Page 8) "What if we had to play without caddies?" Here is the question who relies on his guy the most. - Good read.
 Message #84893 - This was a reply to message #84883
grantar2

Favorite Golfer:
    Danny Lee
Favorite Golf Course:
    Medowlark

Monday July 17, 2017 9:09 PM
QUOTED  I don't see this. I see about the same percentage of players in PGA and LPGA listening carefully to their caddies. However it does seem that the younger players tend to do this more and that is understandable.

It is more common on the LPGA tour. There are some players who are actually aligned physically by their caddies. There is a difference between getting help with a read, and having the caddie position you. This is more common among the players coming off the Korean tour.
 Message #84894 - This was a reply to message #84889

Listing 31 to 40 of 65 Replies

PAGES: 7 2 3 4 5 6

[ Community Page ]