Are you a 'good' putter?
GK Event: Played in a GK Event Birdie Chain: Stake Holder BCB Birdie Chain

Favorite Golfer:
    Whoever's with me playing
Favorite Golf Course:
    Bighorn Golf Club

RPGC MAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Friday May 29, 2020 8:38 AM
Recently reading through 1PLUS1's 'blade vs mallet putter' discussion and found it interesting that a few of the responders were putting up their overall putting statistics that have been recorded through Scoretracker over the years as a way to justify their choice. I've kept every stat from my first round ever at The Lakes at El Segundo back at the end of 2012 until today, so they're pretty accurate, but I don't know what an average 'good' putter looks like in terms of stats.

My lifetime putting stats:

per hole: 1.87
per GIR: 2.12
per 18: 33.58

I've always considered myself a pretty good putter (with bad days like everyone else of course), but I'm just not sure anymore if that's true after seeing some of the stats from other, better golfers. I'd love to see your stats like the ones above and then at the end of many replies, create an 'average' to see just how good GK putters are. Yeah, science!
 Message #95149
sparky14
RE: Are you a 'good' putter?
GK Event: Played in a GK Event GKGC BIRDIE: GKGC Birdie Supporter

Favorite Golfer:
    Ben Crenshaw
Favorite Golf Course:
    All except Shorecliffs

Friday May 29, 2020 9:13 AM
Only thing I have is my putts per 18. Average for 21 years of tracking is 31.2.
 Message #95150 - This was a reply to message #95149
JohnnyGK

JohnnyGK

GK Event: Played in a GK Event GKGC EAGLE: GKGC Eagle Supporter Birdie Chain: Stake Holder BCB Birdie Chain SCGA GK Golf Club: Member

Favorite Golfer:
    GK'ers
Favorite Golf Course:
    Pebble Beach Golf Links

Friday May 29, 2020 9:32 AM
I consider myself a good putter inside 6 feet. I'm surprised when I don't make a short putt. I rarely 3-putt even though my lag putting is were I believe I need the most improvement. Here's are my lifetime putting stats from over 100 rounds in the GK Scoretracker although they might not be a good sample since I have not inputted many rounds in the last two years.

per Hole: 1.81
per GIR: 1.98
per 18: 32.50
GK FACEBOOK - Please check it out - CLICK HERE - I'm doing fun posts all the time.
 Message #95151 - This was a reply to message #95149
RDDenn

GK Event: Played in a GK Event

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    Barona Creek

Friday May 29, 2020 10:23 AM
Bad in the days when I kept track of my strokes on Inteligolf I averaged 31 putts per round, plus or minus 1. That was over several years. I do not keep overall stats now. I believe I am still in the 31-32 range on average. The 26 I had last Sunday at Rancho Park helped! I'm a lag putter. If I have more than one 3 putt in a round, it is a bad day. That said, I consider myself a "decent" putter. I went through a couple or three years of the yips so I am way too cautious to say I am "good."
 Message #95152 - This was a reply to message #95149
dconnally

GK Event: Played in a GK Event GK Cup: Past & Current Champions of The GK Cup GKGC BIRDIE: GKGC Birdie Supporter Birdie Chain: Stake Holder BCB Birdie Chain SCGA GK Golf Club: Member

Favorite Golfer:
    Arnie
Favorite Golf Course:
    Oak Quarry; Tobiano

Friday May 29, 2020 10:33 AM
LOL - saw Robert's initial post and noticed my stats are very similar to his .....

- per hole: 1.83
- per GIR: 2.05
- per 18: 32.94

and I consider putting to be one of the weakest parts of my weak game!!

I'm sure a lot of it is mental attitude and approach - if I see during a round that I'm relying on making putts to make pars, I know I'm in trouble.

I've read books on putting 'approach' and tried pro tips, but things don't really change. I admit that I don't have a structured approach to putting more like my 'swing thoughts' while hitting full shots. My putting is much more 'feel'.

And frankly, I'm surprised by JohnnyGKs numbers above - based on my limited experience playing with him, and stories about 'The Dog' being 'on the bench', those numbers look awfully low to me!! (Sorry, John!)
Remember, we could be at work!!
 Message #95153 - This was a reply to message #95151
GDR23
GK Event: Played in a GK Event GK Cup: Past & Current Champions of The GK Cup GKGC Par: GKGC Par Supporter

Favorite Golfer:
    Woods--- Couples
Favorite Golf Course:
    Rustic Purisma Sandpiper

Friday May 29, 2020 11:04 AM
Great post Robert. Putting is a mix between matching line and speed. It's about never feeling rushed and having a routine that you never deviate from. Doing homework looking behind the hole and visualization of your line and where you want to start the ball. Most pros are now working with putting platforms or boards and visualizing spots to putt to. Most great putters are super still and know how to release the toe of the putter and follow through rather than jabbing at putts. With each year my eyesight and stroke gets a little worse. My stats below have fallen about 1 stroke since I started keeping stats back in March of 2006 on score tracker. Also keep in mind that putting stats are deceiving. Players who are hitting less GIR's but are solid with their chipping might have lower putting stats.
1.65/1.87/29.65
Please check my websitegdrgolf instruction click here
 Message #95154 - This was a reply to message #95153
michaelko
NorCal Community Staff

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    N/A

Friday May 29, 2020 12:24 PM
QUOTED  Also keep in mind that putting stats are deceiving. Players who are hitting less GIR's but are solid with their chipping might have lower putting stats.
1.65/1.87/29.65

this.. I was going to say this.

number of putts per round:
if you consistently are over 36, you are not good.
if you are consistently below 34, you are decent at worst... if you are consistently below 32, you have a case you are pretty good.

BUT.
there is more.

how many 3 putts? that's easy to track... but a lot of that is also dependent on difficulty and speed of greens, and familiarity of the course. Also, how far are you 3 putting from also is a factor. So you can't look at that stat alone.

Even more!!!

How long are your made putts? If you are a great chipper, you will have lower putts.. with a bunch of gimmes.

So in our recreational game, we don't have the hard core metrics to really track who is a good putter. Here is how I see it:

%made 4-6 ft. These are the putts that make or break your round. Chip it to 6 ft, that's a great chip. Gotta convert. 1st putt is 5 ft off... Got to convert. or it's a 3 putt. I say if you make 3 of 5, you are pretty solid. 4 of 5, you are nails.

Number of 12-20 ft putts made. This is a basically a percentage play. If you are a good putter, (and most rounds you will have at least 10 of these, if not more) you will make 1 or 2 a round, consistently. If you are hot, you will make more.

Lag leaves from over 20ft. Can you consistently leave it inside 5 ft? This will be tougher to do on foreign courses, and on really fast greens, and on really slow greens actually. But if you do this more than twice a round, I'd say this counts against you.

This doesn't even count green reading. How often do you misread the break? misjudge the slope? Different skill. It's hard to make putts if you can't read the greens... So that's the final piece. How good are you are reading greens?

So, I feel my putting has improved immensely over the past 5 years (thank you aimpoint). And I feel that those items are what has made me feel like I am a good putter. And that's how I judge other people's putting.
 Message #95156 - This was a reply to message #95154
michaelko
NorCal Community Staff

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    N/A

Friday May 29, 2020 1:51 PM
I'll add:

I am consistently being told from people I play with, I'm one of the better putters they've ever played with.

Now, I'm far from tour or pro quality. But I feel good about saying I'm usually the best putter in my foursome.

Another way to put it... my index is a 5.3... I would say if I were an average putter, it would be a 9.
 Message #95157 - This was a reply to message #95156
michaelko
NorCal Community Staff

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    N/A

Friday May 29, 2020 1:56 PM
Let me add also:

If I have a putter in my hand, it's a putt. I don't ascribe to the 'putt from the fringe is a chip' thinking.

So that skews my numbers higher as far as putts per round.
 Message #95158 - This was a reply to message #95157
stickboy

GK Event: Played in a GK Event GKGC BIRDIE: GKGC Birdie Supporter

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    N/A

Friday May 29, 2020 3:47 PM
QUOTED  If I have a putter in my hand, it's a putt. I don't ascribe to the 'putt from the fringe is a chip' thinking.

So that skews my numbers higher as far as putts per round.

I have a question (and I'm not just asking this to be a jerk). When you putt from the fringe, does it count as a green in regulation?
 Message #95159 - This was a reply to message #95158

Listing 1 to 10 of 27 Replies

PAGES: 3 1 2 3

[ Community Page ]