GK Event: Played in a GK Event GKGC Par: GKGC Par Supporter

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    N/A

RPGC MAIL USER ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Monday June 8, 2020 10:49 AM
Hey Guys,

I'm trying to help our group to play Sand Canyon. So here on GK, I just read the two recent reviews on Sand Canyon CC, but those couldn't be farther from each other- one, it is a recommended course and the other was a complete displeasure.

Does anyone know what it really is?

Thanks.
JVGA
 Message #95271
JohnnyGK
RE: Sand Canyon CC reviews

JohnnyGK

GK Event: Played in a GK Event GKGC EAGLE: GKGC Eagle Supporter Birdie Chain: Stake Holder BCB Birdie Chain SCGA GK Golf Club: Member

Favorite Golfer:
    GK'ers
Favorite Golf Course:
    Pebble Beach Golf Links

RPGC MAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Monday June 8, 2020 11:12 AM
Its been a month later since 24hourgolf review who being a longstanding GK'er, GK Guru in fact, makes it very trustworthy. The last review is a new member's first review so that person has not built up credibility yet in our GK Community. If I had to pick one of the other, got to lean towards 24hourgolf despite the month older. May-June is typically a time of the year of good turf conditions so I don't think its likely conditions would have changed so dramatically.
GK FACEBOOK - Please check it out - CLICK HERE - I'm doing fun posts all the time.
 Message #95272 - This was a reply to message #95271
Nickesquire
GK Event: Played in a GK Event

Favorite Golfer:
    Jack-Freddie-Tiger-Rory
Favorite Golf Course:
    Pebble Maderas Olivas

Monday June 8, 2020 11:51 AM
Much probably has to do with expectations of other courses within 30-40 miles. Some may also be being unfamiliar with their turf reduction program from 4-5 years ago.

Great course 10-15 years ago. Overall, one of the best within 30-40 miles. Nice layout and plus conditions.

Really went downhill and was a dog track when I was playing there often in 2016-2017 for less than $10 a round on Forelinx. (Otherwise, I would not have played there). Greens nice, everything else thin and with large areas of the old rough removed. Even on target shots would roll right through the thin fairways, what qualified for rough hardpan, then next stop was a hazard.

I would not be as critical if I did not remember the course(s) the way they used to be when I first encountered them in 2005-2010.

Have heard they have improved the turf conditions significantly since I last played there. However, even a 50% improvement from what I last experienced there would still be mediocre on the fairways/rough. A huge issue is always going to be that with many holes humpbacked and sloping toward hazards, this layout was not a prime candidate for "turf reduction" if you were going to remove most of the rough surrounding the fairways.
The goal has always been long and straight! But since I can no longer hit them long, hopefully straighter could be achieved more than occasionally?
 Message #95273 - This was a reply to message #95272
24hourgolf
SCGA GK Golf Club: Member

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    N/A

Monday June 8, 2020 2:34 PM
My review was done last month. Right after it reopened after being closed for several weeks. No doubt there has been a lot of play since then. I have played there many times over the last year and have always had an enjoyable experience on all 3 Nines. IMO I think it is a better layout than when it was Robinson Ranch.

My suggestions would be:

1. Call the pro and ask him. He is a very nice guy and straight shooter IMO.

2. Drive over and play before you book? Form your own personal opinion.

3. I also have to say, I feel Nick is being unfair to the course IMO. As far as I know, he has not played there in many years. So I would have to agree to disagree with his assessment.
 Message #95276 - This was a reply to message #95271
noeldaof
GK Event: Played in a GK Event GKGC Par: GKGC Par Supporter

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    N/A

Monday June 8, 2020 2:59 PM
Thanks Everyone, I appreciate all responses.

Makes sense, 24hourgolf. I'll call.
JVGA
 Message #95277 - This was a reply to message #95276
tcmae

Favorite Golfer:
    Anyone except for Rory
Favorite Golf Course:
    Los Verdes

Monday June 8, 2020 3:55 PM
If you want to check out how the course looks like, check out the YouTube channel Experior Golf, https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCW1v9MHQdnlHqub3EKUsVyA

Most if all the videos on this channel features and is shot on this golf course. Most of the videos even feature the director of golf of Sand Canyon. Check out their videos, and you will see how the course looks like to give you an idea.

They were actually the first course that also opened in LA County during the shutdown, and opened a couple of days before the county gave the green light to reopen golf courses.

[[Edited by tcmae on Monday June 8, 2020 3:56 PM]]
 Message #95278 - This was a reply to message #95271
24hourgolf
SCGA GK Golf Club: Member

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    N/A

Monday June 8, 2020 5:22 PM
Very welcome. I personally think your group will enjoy playing there. All 3 nines are different. No GPS on carts if that is important. So bring your own. At present I believe the snack bar is open for take out? But that might have changed as LA County has allowed the opening of restaurants. You can take the carts to your car. They have some great covered parking for those hot days, as well.
 Message #95279 - This was a reply to message #95277
udjagaz

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    N/A

Monday June 8, 2020 9:09 PM

Much like this on the greens, not as bad, but I'd say most of half the greens had this type of work on them.
 Message #95290 - This was a reply to message #95271
kviser

SoCal Community Staff

GK Event: Played in a GK Event LA-GK-Meetup-Winner: LA GK Meetup Winner

Favorite Golfer:
    Fred Couples
Favorite Golf Course:
    River Ridge

Wednesday June 10, 2020 7:44 AM
udjagaz, nice of you to reply. I was wondering about your review since you posted.

I see this is your only review, so I suppose the course conditions made some impression on you. Thanks for that; however, I feel like I need more information. You have replied above, so you must stand by your comments.
QUOTED 

Is there supposed to be an image? I can't see it.
QUOTED  I'd say most of half the greens had this type of work on them.

I'm not sure what this means. Also, your review doesn't give a lot of detail. Can you elaborate?

What do you mean by, "Almost all the greens have ground under repair like sand..."?
 Message #95302 - This was a reply to message #95290
udjagaz

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    N/A

Wednesday June 10, 2020 11:26 AM
There was sand on at least 6 of our first 9 holes. I will say fairways were in good condition, but the greens were terrible. It seems like greens were drying up really bad or bugs were eating up the green, they had to put sand on them to help them grow or recover. Just not worth 70 bucks to go play out there.

[[Edited by udjagaz on Wednesday June 10, 2020 11:27 AM]]
 Message #95306 - This was a reply to message #95302

Listing 1 to 10 of 10 Replies

PAGES: 1

[ Community Page ]