Paynes Valley Cup
YOUR SETTINGSLIST FORUMSLIST TOPICSSEARCH

TOPIC: Paynes Valley Cup

PRINT TOPICSEND THIS TO A FRIEND

Listing 1 to 6 of 6 Replies

PAGES: 1
mpisarski01
Paynes Valley Cup
GK Event: Played in a GK Event GKGC EAGLE: GKGC Eagle Supporter Birdie Chain: Stake Holder BCB Birdie Chain SCGA GK Golf Club: Member

Favorite Golfer:
    John Daly & Anyone I beat
Favorite Golf Course:
    Griz. Ranch & Chambers

RPGC MAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Tuesday September 22, 2020 2:05 PM
Anyone else catch the Rant by Gary Player about conservation and golf? Basically he went on a spirited rant about new course designers cutting down trees instead of having tree lined fairways.

What are your thoughts.
 Message #96391
mpisarski01
RE: Paynes Valley Cup
GK Event: Played in a GK Event GKGC EAGLE: GKGC Eagle Supporter Birdie Chain: Stake Holder BCB Birdie Chain SCGA GK Golf Club: Member

Favorite Golfer:
    John Daly & Anyone I beat
Favorite Golf Course:
    Griz. Ranch & Chambers

Tuesday September 22, 2020 2:07 PM
Also how about the announcers saying this is the nicest grass they have ever seen 100 times during the broadcast.
 Message #96392 - This was a reply to message #96391
Alex326
GK Event: Played in a GK Event Birdie Chain: Stake Holder BCB Birdie Chain GKGC EAGLE: GKGC Eagle Supporter

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    Pebble Beach

Tuesday September 22, 2020 3:24 PM
There was a great article in one of the golf publications a few weeks ago about the science behind the importance of thinning out and removing trees to keep the grass healthy. Maybe Mr. Player needs to read up on some modern techniques. As DeChambeau proved this past weekend, the game has evolved. That includes clubs, balls, athleticism and course maintenance.
 Message #96393 - This was a reply to message #96392
kviser

SoCal Community Staff

GK Event: Played in a GK Event LA-GK-Meetup-Winner: LA GK Meetup Winner

Favorite Golfer:
    Fred Couples
Favorite Golf Course:
    River Ridge

Tuesday September 22, 2020 4:27 PM
QUOTED  nicest grass

QUOTED  the science behind the importance of thinning out and removing trees to keep the grass healthy.

All plants will compete for resources like sunlight, nutrients, and water.

The funny thing is that Payne's Valley is in a pretty heavily wooded part of the country. You simply cannot grow good turf where there are a lot of trees.

[[Edited by kviser on Tuesday September 22, 2020 4:33 PM]]
 Message #96394 - This was a reply to message #96391
Itslikeimsayin
GK Event: Played in a GK Event GKGC BIRDIE: GKGC Birdie Supporter

Favorite Golfer:
    Phil Mickelson
Favorite Golf Course:
    DragonRidge CC

Tuesday September 22, 2020 4:59 PM
I missed the Gary Player thing you mentioned but the main thing that stood out to me is how much NBC chose the polar opposite of Johnny Miller when they hired Paul Azinger to replace him. While Miller always acted like if he was healthy and wanted to, he could still go compete on Tour. Azinger is constantly self-deprecating and acting like he's in awe of every player, almost to the point that he seems unworthy of the seat. Johnny's inflated ego was sort of annoying, but I'm not sure Azinger's fawning is any better. (Full disclosure: I've never liked NBC's golf coverage much anyway.)
 Message #96396 - This was a reply to message #96394
Krystal

Favorite Golfer:
    dad
Favorite Golf Course:
    Royal County Down

Tuesday September 22, 2020 9:45 PM
FTR Gary Player designed the highly decorated Thracian Cliffs, The Links at Fancourt & Elephant Hills. He's given notable designers their start in course architecture. GP's opinions are just that. Good opinion, his preference. I'm sure there were things bKnight would've like to have done differently in his early designs.

Payne Valley was sodded with Zeon zoysia. It's a fairly new variety. Shade tolerant, somewhat aggressive through the growing season, a rich color and smells fresh. TGR design team did a nice job giving the first few holes early sun. Sun & air circulation allows the course to play optimally for longer periods of a day. The areas where trees are dense are generally on the north side of a hole. Trees that provided too much shade were canopied (allowing sun and circulation)... much like Augusta National, Southern Hills, Riviera etc.

krys
 Message #96397 - This was a reply to message #96394

Listing 1 to 6 of 6 Replies

PAGES: 1

[ Community Page ]