mlslaw
Camarillo Springs

Favorite Golfer:
    Fred Couples
Favorite Golf Course:
    Rustic Canyon

RPGC MAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Thursday October 1, 2020 8:15 PM
Bad reviews posted here going back to earlier this year but more favorable and recent reviews on golf advisor. Trying to figure out if they're plants to draw suckers to a still crap course or if the place has turned the corner. Intel please.
 Message #96488
parmegt
RE: Camarillo Springs

Favorite Golfer:
    Dustin
Favorite Golf Course:
    Aviara

RPGC MAIL USER EMAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Friday October 2, 2020 7:43 AM
Very curious myself. I have a tee time next Sat (10th), guess I'll Guinea pig it! Honestly doubt they will do much, my understanding is that the owner wants to build Condo's. He was rejected by the city or county to completely close, now is trying to figure a way to leave 9 holes open & build on the rest. The homeowners & Mobile Home Park are fighting it.

I'll write a review next Sunday. Before my knee replacement in Feb, then Covid, Cam Springs was our "we don't have anything better" course for Sat play.

We can't all be JohnnyGK & have courses begging us to play... LOL
 Message #96489 - This was a reply to message #96488
Nickesquire
GK Event: Played in a GK Event SCGA GK Golf Club: Member GKGC EAGLE: GKGC Eagle Supporter

Favorite Golfer:
    Jack-Freddie-Tiger-Rory
Favorite Golf Course:
    Pebble Poppy Maderas

Friday October 2, 2020 9:18 AM
Not current information, but some history on Camarillo Springs.

I used to play there regularly in the late 90's, early 00's timeframe. The "before Greenskeeper days". I remember a course that had a fun, enjoyable, challenging layout that was reasonably lush with consistently good greens. Not the best public course in the immediate area, but very playable, definitely in the top half of public courses within 20 miles then. Rustic Canyon, Tierra Rejada, Sterling Hills and River Ridge Lakes were not yet built, so my local rotation of courses was smaller in those days.

One of the really wet years in the early 00's, when we had rain day after day for a week plus, most of the course you could see from the freeway was under water for a good while after the rains stopped. Completely flooded until the water went down, then it was a brown, muddy mess. Not only the course, but most of the surrounding flat farmlands as far as you could see. Looked like either the Pacific Ocean moved inland about 10 miles or a new Lake Camarillo that stretched for miles was formed for probably 7-10 days.

I used to play early morning rounds there around a decade ago when they had a back 11 hole and breakfast special. Would get there at day break and then change into work clothes afterward. Makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up today just the thought of my then heading toward the downtown L.A. traffic jam after peak traffic thinned out several days a week for my at least 90 minute commute. Either Camarillo Springs or a comparable back nine/breakfast special @ Los Robles WAS my golf for months on end back in those days when I was working 60+ hour weeks.

Made friends with Dan, who was the Camarillo greenskeeper at that time. He said that they had been challenged to keep their fairways since the early 00's flood. They suspected that whatever chemicals were used on the surrounding farmlands had polluted their top soil in the flood. Camarillo Springs had fairways that were mostly thin with lots of weeds and hardpan sections for years afterward. Dan told me that his priority was keeping the greens and traps good, because he could control that on a daily basis... but he just shrugged his shoulders about the fairways. There definitely was not the budget to replace the top soil like La Quinta Dunes did after being flooded and turned into a temporary lake maybe 5 years back.

Anyone know if the owner of Sterling Hills still also owns Camarillo Springs?
The goal has always been long and straight! But since I can no longer hit them long, hopefully straighter could be achieved more than occasionally?
 Message #96493 - This was a reply to message #96488
parmegt

Favorite Golfer:
    Dustin
Favorite Golf Course:
    Aviara

Friday October 2, 2020 11:18 AM
Yeah Nick, I recall that flood too. Maybe 5-7 years ago they made a push to sod over some of the fairways. I can't say bare spots because they had huge bare areas. It met with limited success. I remember Danny (Camacho?), good guy, doing his best. I ran a tournament there once a year, he was very helpful. Don't know who the owner is now. I have family in Camarillo & I get updates through them, the "fight" over closing/building is always in the local paper. ~ Gary.
 Message #96495 - This was a reply to message #96493
JohnnyGK

JohnnyGK

GK Event: Played in a GK Event GKGC EAGLE: GKGC Eagle Supporter Birdie Chain: Stake Holder BCB Birdie Chain SCGA GK Golf Club: Member

Favorite Golfer:
    GK'ers
Favorite Golf Course:
    Pebble Beach Golf Links

Friday October 2, 2020 2:49 PM
Last Yelp review was from August.

Last Google Review was from two weeks ago and all it said was 2 stars playing conditions were not good.
GK FACEBOOK - Please check it out - CLICK HERE - I'm doing fun posts all the time.
 Message #96496 - This was a reply to message #96488
JohnnyGK

JohnnyGK

GK Event: Played in a GK Event GKGC EAGLE: GKGC Eagle Supporter Birdie Chain: Stake Holder BCB Birdie Chain SCGA GK Golf Club: Member

Favorite Golfer:
    GK'ers
Favorite Golf Course:
    Pebble Beach Golf Links

Friday October 2, 2020 2:53 PM
Furthermore, they normally aerate the greens the beginning of October however I've placed multiple calls to Camarillo Springs and they keep telling me the think, but they are not sure, aeration will be the end of October.

QUOTED  Anyone know if the owner of Sterling Hills still also owns Camarillo Springs?

Used to be, NOT anymore.
GK FACEBOOK - Please check it out - CLICK HERE - I'm doing fun posts all the time.
 Message #96497 - This was a reply to message #96496
GDR23
GK Event: Played in a GK Event GK Cup: Past & Current Champions of The GK Cup GKGC Par: GKGC Par Supporter

Favorite Golfer:
    Woods--- Couples
Favorite Golf Course:
    Rustic Purisma Sandpiper

Friday October 2, 2020 3:53 PM
Camarillo Springs has so many fond memories for me. I started playing in 1990 invited out by my best friend at the time and his dad who was an avid golfer. Stories were told about many MLB players having drinks after the round there in the 90s. Many local courses were not around as Nick mentioned so Camarillo was a mainstay for many in the area. You could always expect a nice stiff wind teeing off during twilight rounds. #17 now used to be number #1 and 18 was #2.

You could almost always expect pure greens, kukuya sticky fringes and rough and decent to good fairway conditions. I always thought current holes 2-6 were the tough or amen corner of the round..get through those and a good round was to be had.

Yes the floods and rains we had in the mid 2000s produced soggy conditions in the fairway and rough portions of the course especially the low lying areas. Made sense to me as the layout is hilly with some elevation changes on the front nine and many places to gather/puddle.

I played it a year ago and it was serviceable and playable. I would recommend it for a twilight fee or discounted rate but maybe not rack rate. As I believe I wrote in my review you are playing it for the layout and above average green conditions. If you are expecting above average to nice lies in the fairways and rough probably not going to happen. But then again would have to play it and see it again to make sure...lots can happen in a year(good or bad).
Please check my websitegdrgolf instruction click here
 Message #96500 - This was a reply to message #96497
mlslaw

Favorite Golfer:
    Fred Couples
Favorite Golf Course:
    Rustic Canyon

Saturday October 3, 2020 4:58 PM
QUOTED  I've placed multiple calls to Camarillo Springs and they keep telling me the think, but they are not sure, aeration will be the end of October.

I know ur too polite to accuse CS of trying to hedge on the aeration date so that they can maximize $$ but that sounds exactly like what's happening. If so, that's the first I've ever seen a course engage in that type of behavior. When I booked over the phone for RR Lakes, the staff guy wanted me to know that they had punched a week ago. Cudos to RR.

I'm playing RR Lakes Monday and will stop by CS on the way back and learn what I can.
 Message #96503 - This was a reply to message #96497
parmegt

Favorite Golfer:
    Dustin
Favorite Golf Course:
    Aviara

Saturday October 10, 2020 9:51 PM
Hey Johnny, I asked at Camarillo Springs about aerating & was told "We no longer Aerate". Don't know how accurate that is, but it doesn't look like they are doing much maintenance out there. (played Sat, posted bad review a few minutes ago.) Bummer, loved the course.
 Message #96597 - This was a reply to message #96497

Listing 1 to 9 of 9 Replies

PAGES: 1

[ Community Page ]