Feet of putts

GK Event: Played in a GK Event

Favorite Golfer:
    Fred Couples
Favorite Golf Course:
    Goose Creek

RPGC MAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Tuesday October 20, 2020 3:23 PM
So I keep track of my putting and I average about 31 putts a round, i average 30% 1 putts (about 5.5) and 9% 3 putts (about 1.5) , occasionally have 26 to 29 putts in a round. Thought I was a decent putter, but am now confused. The last 2 rounds i kept track of feet made for putts also and and while they have been 32 putts (52') & 34 putts (55') the putts total is about average, I am disappointed in the feet made. Today I had 7 holes where I made 1 footers and a total of 15 holes where I made 3 foot or less. I didn't miss anything under 6' , made a 7' 8' & 13'. Many of the putts were from 15' to 35'. So while i am disappointed in the feet made, I guess I gave to feel good about getting most of those within 3' to 2 putt. The feet made stat really questions if yiu are putting well or not. Also the total putts can be so miss leading when I use a pitch and run and put it within 3'. Have any of you added up the feet of putts made and evaluated it?
 Message #96681
dconnally
RE: Feet of putts

GK Event: Played in a GK Event GK Cup: Past & Current Champions of The GK Cup GKGC BIRDIE: GKGC Birdie Supporter Birdie Chain: Stake Holder BCB Birdie Chain SCGA GK Golf Club: Member

Favorite Golfer:
    Arnie
Favorite Golf Course:
    Oak Quarry; Tobiano

Tuesday October 20, 2020 3:34 PM
My vision is not that great - when I saw the title of this post I mis-read it as "Fear of Putts".

I opened it up because that's right in my wheelhouse!!
Remember, we could be at work!!
 Message #96682 - This was a reply to message #96681
Itslikeimsayin
GK Event: Played in a GK Event GKGC BIRDIE: GKGC Birdie Supporter

Favorite Golfer:
    Phil Mickelson
Favorite Golf Course:
    DragonRidge CC

Tuesday October 20, 2020 4:19 PM
I don't think two rounds is enough to gauge things or feel one way or another. I'd give it some more time. Overall I feel like this is more of a "pro golf" stat than an "average player" stat. There are many rounds where I don't make anything over 10 feet or so.
 Message #96684 - This was a reply to message #96681
Nickesquire
GK Event: Played in a GK Event SCGA GK Golf Club: Member GKGC EAGLE: GKGC Eagle Supporter

Favorite Golfer:
    Jack-Freddie-Tiger-Rory
Favorite Golf Course:
    Pebble Poppy Maderas

Tuesday October 20, 2020 9:56 PM
Arccos tracks the length of all putts and the length of putts made. I move the cursor and try and make sure I am accurately entering the length of every putt. Arccos provides all kinds of feedback on strokes gained (or lost) based on these 2 areas of measurement.

While putts per GIR and total putts have always been my main concern... there are some rounds where 30 putts for me is phenomenal and other rounds where 30 putts for me is mediocre.

If you hit a bunch of greens, unless you are making a bunch of birdie putts, your GIR/total putts per round should be higher than when you are missing the green, chipping it close and making a bunch of 1 putts.

A 30 putt round where I miss most of the GIR's and chip decently may not be a great putting round... but a 30 putt round where I hit many more GIR's than normal is likely a very good putting round.

Here are a few basic benchmarks I look to meet in every round:

Benchmark #1: Not missing any putts within 3'.

Benchmark #2: Making more 6-8 footers than I miss.

Benchmark #3: Most recreational golfers cannot reasonably expect to be making anywhere near half of their 10-12' putts. Anything over 15' is in most recreational golfers unlikely 1 putt range. So if I make more than 3 putts in a round 10' or longer, it is likely a good to excellent putting round for me.

Benchmark #4: My goal is always zero 3 or more putts. I'll cut myself some slack if the first putt is 80+' or has a really severe break.

Another obvious thing that really affects putts per round are 0 putts... chips in's or hole outs cover for many challenges in other areas of the round.
The goal has always been long and straight! But since I can no longer hit them long, hopefully straighter could be achieved more than occasionally?
 Message #96689 - This was a reply to message #96684
chevelle

Favorite Golfer:
    Fred Couples
Favorite Golf Course:
    Goose Creek

Wednesday October 21, 2020 5:48 AM
Yeah I always hear on tv "feet of putts made" so I was curious about my stat. 2 rounds isn't that much but maybe I shouldn't continue because it discouraged me . I think I am a pretty good putter to only average 9% 3 putts (1.5) and to have that many short putts for tap ins. I had 4 lip outs the last round. My goal is always to have no 3 putts, but don't do it much. I once went 75 holes with out a 3 putt, lol. I just feel i should make more of the 6 to 10 foot putts, I rim allot of those or leave them 1 foot, and those are the ones that contribute to my 3 putt count, long putt get to 6' and rim out for a 3 putt.
The reason I tried this is 3 rounds ago I had 11 putts on the front 9, and I was making everything, just wanted to get a number, but knowing me yesterday since I was counting feet it probably stiffened up my stroke, lol
Another reason I tried this is when I have 28 putts or so,, I was trying to see if it was actually good putting or my chip and run shots that was doing it. I am 4 to 7 feet off the green I use my 7 iron and usually get it pretty close.

[[Edited by chevelle on Wednesday October 21, 2020 6:15 AM]]
 Message #96692 - This was a reply to message #96689
mpisarski01
GK Event: Played in a GK Event GKGC EAGLE: GKGC Eagle Supporter Birdie Chain: Stake Holder BCB Birdie Chain SCGA GK Golf Club: Member

Favorite Golfer:
    John Daly & Anyone I beat
Favorite Golf Course:
    Griz. Ranch & Chambers

Wednesday October 21, 2020 6:15 AM
I have been tracking my putts for a while and for the last 10 rounds I've used the 18 birdies app to track them. My putts per hole is sitting at 1.6 but knowing my rounds its because when I miss the green I can usually chip to a 5 foot circle. Now when lining up for a long putt my only goal is to keep it within 3 feet of the hole and this usually works to keep the 3 putts down.
 Message #96693 - This was a reply to message #96692
Deepsea14
GK Event: Played in a GK Event GKGC EAGLE: GKGC Eagle Supporter Birdie Chain: Stake Holder BCB Birdie Chain

Favorite Golfer:
    Dad and his Dad
Favorite Golf Course:
    The one I'm playing

Wednesday October 21, 2020 6:26 AM
QUOTED  My vision is not that great - when I saw the title of this post I mis-read it as "Fear of Putts".

I opened it up because that's right in my wheelhouse!!

Do you mean the fear you put into your opponent when your staring one down for the BC on the 18th hole? !! (vision seems good then)

For the amateur but serious player feet of putts made can be misleading. imo

Speed and size of greens a major factor. Some days lagging up to "gimme" / kick-in range for two putts on slick surfaces, is a better putting day than banging in a couple long ones on slower greens where you can putt more aggressively.

I don't keep Feet of Putts Made so this is off subject just some data.
My stats from five rounds July to October at Coyote Moon. Which I'd consider above avg speed and undulations
one round NO 3 putts
one round 1 3 putt
two rounds 3 3 putts
one round 4 3 putts

Low 30 putts High 38 Avg 33.2 Index 22.2
 Message #96694 - This was a reply to message #96692
Itslikeimsayin
GK Event: Played in a GK Event GKGC BIRDIE: GKGC Birdie Supporter

Favorite Golfer:
    Phil Mickelson
Favorite Golf Course:
    DragonRidge CC

Wednesday October 21, 2020 8:42 AM
QUOTED  Yeah I always hear on tv "feet of putts made" so I was curious about my stat.

Just to add to this, on TV when they mention this it's usually about one or more of the leaders who are having an amazing putting week. The pros already putt way better than most of us, so when they are having a hot week they are exponentially better than us amateurs. Comparing yourself to Tour-player stats is probably going to continue discouraging you. If you keep tracking, compare yourself only to your own stats and see what happens.

Another wrinkle: The pros aren't keeping these stats themselves; they have ShotLink to do that for them. I wonder if the conscious tracking of this might be impacting how you putt.
 Message #96695 - This was a reply to message #96692
chevelle

Favorite Golfer:
    Fred Couples
Favorite Golf Course:
    Goose Creek

Wednesday October 21, 2020 9:10 AM
I think you are correct, it did impact me the last 2 rounds, in the back if my mind i was thinking this is allot of feet to count. I need to stop the feet thing and just go back to counting putts, 1 and below and 3 and above. And be satisfied I am 2 putting or less over 90% of my holes.
Sometimes I feel less accomplished as a putter when allot of my 1 putts come from pitch and run to within 5 feet.

[[Edited by chevelle on Wednesday October 21, 2020 9:15 AM]]
 Message #96696 - This was a reply to message #96695
Briggslaw
GKGC Par: GKGC Par Supporter SCGA GK Golf Club: Member

Favorite Golfer:
    Mark O’Meara
Favorite Golf Course:
    Mission Hills Gary Player

Thursday October 22, 2020 11:30 PM
I keep track of number of putts, feet of putts made, three putts, and my second putt proximity. I also note each round’s longest putt. First, keeping track of this stuff mechanically, not with a device, makes me think about it and gives me something to aim for even on a bad day. Second, it helps tell me what to work on when practicing or warming up. And finally, over time it helps me see where I am improving. As others note here, none of these necessarily correlates to a good or lousy round, but each does help show you where you may have gone wrong in a given round.
 Message #96710 - This was a reply to message #96681

Listing 1 to 10 of 14 Replies

PAGES: 2 1 2

[ Community Page ]