Phil

GK Event: Played in a GK Event

Favorite Golfer:
    Fred Couples
Favorite Golf Course:
    Goose Creek

RPGC MAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Wednesday November 4, 2020 10:28 AM
So Phil Michelson currently uses a 46" driver and is pretty well know to be a little wayward off the tee. Now he is planning to use a 47 1/2" driver at the Masters. Any thoughts as to his fairway count after 2 rounds. I would say 4 rounds but.......... LOL
 Message #96836
caligolfer1031
RE: Phil
GK Event: Played in a GK Event

Favorite Golfer:
    Adam Scott, Bubba Watson
Favorite Golf Course:
    Spyglass Hill

Wednesday November 4, 2020 10:40 AM
oh geez, 3 a day? am I giving him too much credit?
 Message #96837 - This was a reply to message #96836
Nickesquire
GK Event: Played in a GK Event SCGA GK Golf Club: Member GKGC EAGLE: GKGC Eagle Supporter

Favorite Golfer:
    Jack-Freddie-Tiger-Rory
Favorite Golf Course:
    Pebble Poppy Maderas

Wednesday November 4, 2020 10:56 AM
I think Phil has correctly analyzed that length @ Augusta is probably more critical than fairways hit to most PGA Tour pros.

Other thoughts regarding Phil @ Augusta. While @ 50 Phil is still plenty long, he isn't among the longest hitters on Tour like he used to be. Trying to outdistance the % of the field he used to back when he was among the Masters favorites every year would be my impression. What will another 1.5" potentially produce? 10 yards? 15 yards? 20 yards? He has obviously decided that being even more wayward than usual is worth whatever figure that is for him.

I also think he realizes that whatever window there is for him to compete there again is rapidly closing. He is a gambler by nature, I think he has thought through thoroughly his options on how he can best play Augusta. And realizes his chances of winning there trying to play conservative and hit fairways, lay up to avoid mistakes and hole a bunch of putts 4 days in a row are slim/none.

I think if you asked Phil do I go and play conservative to ensure I make the cut and collect even a decent paycheck... or roll the dice and risk that radical changes could produce a 78/79=MC... or could put him in contention for another Green jacket... no doubt in my mind what option he chooses.
The goal has always been long and straight! But since I can no longer hit them long, hopefully straighter could be achieved more than occasionally?
 Message #96838 - This was a reply to message #96837
PokerGuy0826
GKGC Par: GKGC Par Supporter SCGA GK Golf Club: Member GK Event: Played in a GK Event

Favorite Golfer:
    Freddy Couples
Favorite Golf Course:
    TPC Sawgrass

Wednesday November 4, 2020 5:40 PM
50% would be a drastic improvement, so I guess it's worth the gamble. Either way, it will be interesting!!
 Message #96841 - This was a reply to message #96836
Alex326
GK Event: Played in a GK Event Birdie Chain: Stake Holder BCB Birdie Chain GKGC EAGLE: GKGC Eagle Supporter

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    Pebble Beach

Wednesday November 4, 2020 7:52 PM
If you’re going to be in the rough, anyway. You might as well be in the rough 40 yards further down the fairway!
 Message #96842 - This was a reply to message #96841
mpisarski01
GK Event: Played in a GK Event GKGC EAGLE: GKGC Eagle Supporter Birdie Chain: Stake Holder BCB Birdie Chain SCGA GK Golf Club: Member

Favorite Golfer:
    John Daly & Anyone I beat
Favorite Golf Course:
    Griz. Ranch & Chambers

Wednesday November 4, 2020 8:29 PM
QUOTED  If you’re going to be in the rough, anyway. You might as well be in the rough 40 yards further down the fairway!

That is my philosophy
 Message #96843 - This was a reply to message #96842

Listing 1 to 6 of 6 Replies

PAGES: 1

[ Community Page ]