2/6/1971 Golf went out of this world
YOUR SETTINGSLIST FORUMSLIST TOPICSSEARCH

TOPIC: 2/6/1971 Golf went out of this world

PRINT TOPICSEND THIS TO A FRIEND

Listing 1 to 4 of 4 Replies

PAGES: 1
Deepsea14
2/6/1971 Golf went out of this world
GK Event: Played in a GK Event GKGC EAGLE: GKGC Eagle Supporter Birdie Chain: Stake Holder BCB Birdie Chain

Favorite Golfer:
    Dad and his Dad
Favorite Golf Course:
    The one I'm playing

RPGC MAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Saturday February 6, 2021 9:14 AM
50 years ago today astronaut Alan Shepard hit the longest of long drives on the moon. Some say it's still going...

Message #97820
Nickesquire
RE: 2/6/1971 Golf went out of this world
GK Event: Played in a GK Event SCGA GK Golf Club: Member GKGC EAGLE: GKGC Eagle Supporter

Favorite Golfer:
    Jack-Freddie-Tiger-Rory
Favorite Golf Course:
    Pebble Poppy Maderas

Saturday February 6, 2021 8:08 PM
Shepard may have exaggerated just a little on how far the balls actually went.

I read an article that said they recently measured those 2 shots based on photographs that showed his divots and the balls. One shot was estimated @ 24 yards, the other @ 40 yards. Remember, he was swinging in a heavy space suit and helmet one handed, basically out of a waste bunker. Amazing he even made decent contact.

It was estimated that one of Bryson Dechambeau's current drives would go somewhere between 3 and 4 miles on the moon.
The goal has always been long and straight! But since I can no longer hit them long, hopefully straighter could be achieved more than occasionally?
 Message #97826 - This was a reply to message #97820
Alex326
GK Event: Played in a GK Event Birdie Chain: Stake Holder BCB Birdie Chain GKGC EAGLE: GKGC Eagle Supporter

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    Pebble Beach

Sunday February 7, 2021 5:34 AM
QUOTED  longest of long drives on the moon. Some say it's still going...

I heard it was because he couldn't get a tee time in L.A. and when he asked the guy at the pro shop where he could try and get on, the guy responded "try the moon"

Impressive memory of the date, Peter.

QUOTED  Bryson Dechambeau's current drives would go somewhere between 3 and 4 miles on the moon.

Great, more data for the USGA to worry about during this "Distance debate"

I can see it now. 2030 US Open to be played at Tee Boxes from the moon and Greens at Pebble Beach. Of course POP will now really be an issue!!
 Message #97827 - This was a reply to message #97820
Deepsea14
GK Event: Played in a GK Event GKGC EAGLE: GKGC Eagle Supporter Birdie Chain: Stake Holder BCB Birdie Chain

Favorite Golfer:
    Dad and his Dad
Favorite Golf Course:
    The one I'm playing

Monday February 8, 2021 8:32 AM
QUOTED  I heard it was because he couldn't get a tee time in L.A. and when he asked the guy at the pro shop where he could try and get on, the guy responded "try the moon"

Tee time in L.A. LOL I heard it's nice weather there. It better be you'll be out there most of the day.

Coyote Moon is closed due to snow...

I brought up the moon shot subject at the driving range Saturday and Sunday at the course. I wouldn't have known about it except for a news teaser. Most golfers I spoke to when I mentioned were unaware of it. 50 years ago, you weren't a twinkle in your Mom's eye yet. (they weren't) Couple older guys like me were around when it happened. Live TV three channels B&W back then.

from www.pennlive.com

Shepard hit two golf balls on live television exactly half a century ago yesterday at the end of the Apollo 14 moonwalk. Because of the portable TV camera's perpendicular angle to the flight of the ball, exactly how far the shots went was left up to the commentary of the jocular original “Mercury seven” astronaut.

https://www.pennlive.com/sports/2021/02/fifty-years-ago-alan-shepard-bl asted-from-an-endless-sand-trap-and-we-just-now-found-his-ball.html#:~:text=Shepard%20hit%20two%20golf%20balls,original%20%E2%80%9CMercury%20seven%E2%80%9D%20astronaut.

However long it was, who's up for breaking the record? Ask Elon Musk for a ride to the orb.

[[Edited by Deepsea14 on Monday February 8, 2021 9:46 AM]]
 Message #97831 - This was a reply to message #97827

Listing 1 to 4 of 4 Replies

PAGES: 1

[ Community Page ]