Discussions in --- Use This to POST ---
Moderated By JohnnyGK

Forums
Greenskeeper.org
--- Use This to POST ---
Imbibing on the golf course could get you in tr...
YOUR SETTINGSLIST FORUMSLIST TOPICSSEARCH

TOPIC: Imbibing on the golf course could get you in trouble

PRINT TOPICSEND THIS TO A FRIEND

Listing 1 to 5 of 5 Replies

PAGES: 1
mlslaw
Imbibing on the golf course could get you in trouble

Favorite Golfer:
    Fred Couples
Favorite Golf Course:
    Rustic Canyon

RPGC MAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Wednesday February 17, 2021 5:00 PM
Heard this story from friends who played at a Ventura venue very recently. My two friends got paired up with two guys who were drinking beers on the course. The guys, of course, got a lil tipsy and on 18 the guys got into an argument with the Marshall over a request to re-tee after a long search for a lost ball. the Marshall refused saying it would further back up play. Something like that. The argument became heated, to an extreme, and the Marshall, a much older guy, told the two guys that he was on the way to the clubhouse to make sure that they were PERMANENTLY BANNED from the course. The two tipsy guys were last seen yelling and screaming in the clubhouse. Alcohol tends to make some folks a bit unruly. Caveat.
 Message #97883
Nickesquire
RE: Imbibing on the golf course could get you in trouble
GK Event: Played in a GK Event SCGA GK Golf Club: Member GKGC EAGLE: GKGC Eagle Supporter

Favorite Golfer:
    Jack-Freddie-Tiger-Rory
Favorite Golf Course:
    Pebble Poppy Maderas

Wednesday February 17, 2021 8:33 PM
Not a fan of drunks on the golf course. Have witnessed more than one over the years that should be PERMANENTLY BANNED from the course. Remember a scene with GDR23 that I'm sure Gary will remember. Guy built like a fire hydrant ran as fast as he could from 7th green @ Olivas (we were on the 6 tee watching from 100 yards away) back toward the group in the fairway on the other side of the 150 marker screaming and yelling the whole way. He tackled a Sr. that looked like he was about 80 years old because the guy had rolled a ball up near the green. Fire hydrant dude was in handcuffs in the back of a squad car as we were making the turn. We were told he was well above the legal limit.

But some of the Marshall's and Starters I have seen over the years should be permanently banned from their courses as well.

Starters who allow two 3somes to join and make a 6some "because they are on vacation and I wanted to make sure they have a good time" was an explanation I heard a starter @ Morro Bay give to one of about 20 people waiting to tee off behind them. Took 45 minutes to play 2 holes behind those clowns. Several in their group could not even hit the ball, they had zero business on a regulation course. The first whiff may be funny, but the second or third in a row is not.

Marshall's who have a clipboard with a pacement sheet that says if you teed off at "X" time you should be on "Y" green by now. DNA on a packed Sunday afternoon the same as it may on a light Wednesday afternoon.

I'll never forget playing Nicklaus Tournament with Rat-Patrol and Sixpez years ago. The group in front of us was on #8 tee when we arrived, with a group on the green. The group in front of us had a tough hole, probably 6 balls in the water total from the tee box or the drop zone before they made the green. I emptied every divot mix bottle on all our carts and fixed every divot on the tee we were there so long. I would guess we waited 15-20 minutes? As soon as the group in front of us putted out, the Marshall came up and told our group we were behind and needed to pick up the pace? I thought Jim was going to lose his lunch... he told the Marshall that I had repaired about 100 divots and we had been waiting forever. Didn't matter, the Marshall's clipboard said we should be on 9 green by this time... and because the green was clear and we hadn't all hit yet, we were slowing the course down was the sentiment expressed.

Both those gentlemen should have their clipboards taken away and THEY should be PERMANENTLY BANNED from working at their courses for stupidity.
The goal has always been long and straight! But since I can no longer hit them long, hopefully straighter could be achieved more than occasionally?
 Message #97886 - This was a reply to message #97883
zachary

GK Event: Played in a GK Event

Favorite Golfer:
    Paul Goydos
Favorite Golf Course:
    Industry Hills

Wednesday February 17, 2021 8:50 PM
Funny story Nick. Love the marshals. Had a marshal at the crossings make the group in front of us skip an entire hole because they were so far behind, then drove up to our group and told us to pick it up, we were behind a hole. I almost hit him with my club.
 Message #97887 - This was a reply to message #97886
Rat-Patrol
GK Event: Played in a GK Event Birdie Chain: Stake Holder BCB Birdie Chain

Favorite Golfer:
    My Grandpa was
Favorite Golf Course:
    Balboa Park GC

Thursday February 18, 2021 7:10 AM
I want to be good at what I do and how can one drink properly with all that annoying golf going on? . . . and if you imbibe on the course what do you have to look forward to? A hangover?
 Message #97888 - This was a reply to message #97886
JohnnyGK

JohnnyGK

GK Event: Played in a GK Event GKGC EAGLE: GKGC Eagle Supporter Birdie Chain: Stake Holder BCB Birdie Chain SCGA GK Golf Club: Member

Favorite Golfer:
    GK'ers
Favorite Golf Course:
    Pebble Beach Golf Links

Thursday February 18, 2021 8:16 AM
QUOTED  an argument with the Marshall over a request to re-tee after a long search for a lost ball. the Marshall refused saying it would further back up play.

I don't understand why the Marshall did not instruct the group that they are allowed in the rules of golf to take a drop in the fairway with a stroke and distance penalty. Sounds like rationale went out the window on both ends in the heat of the argument. Also belligerent drunk should always be grounds for immediate removal from a place of business ... that includes the golf course.
GK FACEBOOK - Please check it out - CLICK HERE - I'm doing fun posts all the time.
 Message #97889 - This was a reply to message #97883

Listing 1 to 5 of 5 Replies

PAGES: 1

[ Community Page ]