Discussions in --- Use This to POST ---
Moderated By JohnnyGK

Forums
Greenskeeper.org
--- Use This to POST ---
Rules Question: Immovable Obstruction on Line o...
YOUR SETTINGSLIST FORUMSLIST TOPICSSEARCH

TOPIC: Rules Question: Immovable Obstruction on Line of Play

PRINT TOPICSEND THIS TO A FRIEND

Listing 11 to 20 of 28 Replies

PAGES: 3 1 2 3
noeldaof
RE: Rules Question: Immovable Obstruction on Line of Play
GK Event: Played in a GK Event GKGC Par: GKGC Par Supporter

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    N/A

RPGC MAIL USER ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Thursday March 11, 2021 11:20 AM
I don't know the exact rule verbiage, but, that reminds me of a power line crossing a fairway that if you hit it from the tee, you're entitled to re-tee.

Or the barn that sits from a dogleg where a competitor demanded the barn doors be open on both sides to let his shot through.

In any case, there is no relieve, however, if the man made immovable material were to be struck by a ball played, the shot can be re played.

Wrong or right, it's been played that way for many years that I recall.
JVGA
 Message #98153 - This was a reply to message #98129
FirstFlightFX-101
GKGC Par: GKGC Par Supporter GK Event: Played in a GK Event SCGA GK Golf Club: Member

Favorite Golfer:
    Dave Stockton
Favorite Golf Course:
    Oak Q & V, Rancho DelSol

RPGC MAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Thursday March 11, 2021 12:50 PM
Thank you, I now see my error, we get 're-play'(not relief) after hitting these objects.

A few weekends ago, while playing Rancho Del Sol(turns out I was there about 2 hours before the cup 16 semi finalists), my freind had a pretty wayward slice that almost air-mailed it to that parked bulldozer on the front 9. Could he have gotten a re-play if he hit it? It's pretty immovable. ;-)
 Message #98154 - This was a reply to message #98153
Itslikeimsayin
GK Event: Played in a GK Event GKGC BIRDIE: GKGC Birdie Supporter SCGA GK Golf Club: Member

Favorite Golfer:
    Phil Mickelson
Favorite Golf Course:
    DragonRidge CC

Thursday March 11, 2021 1:08 PM
The course with overhead power lines I'm most familiar with is El Prado. I don't have a scorecard handy, but I'm fairly certain their local rule is that any ball coming in contact with the power lines MUST be replayed, regardless of outcome.

Everything Noel mentioned would need to be covered in a local rule as well. So I'm not really sure what this meant:

QUOTED  Wrong or right, it's been played that way for many years that I recall.
 Message #98155 - This was a reply to message #98154
Nickesquire
GK Event: Played in a GK Event SCGA GK Golf Club: Member GKGC EAGLE: GKGC Eagle Supporter

Favorite Golfer:
    Jack-Freddie-Tiger-Rory
Favorite Golf Course:
    Pebble Wolf Creek Poppy

Thursday March 11, 2021 1:39 PM
QUOTED  I'm fairly certain their local rule is that any ball coming in contact with the power lines MUST be replayed, regardless of outcome.

I have also seen this on other courses (Rio Hondo?) where power lines cross fairways Mark.

Just my personal opinion... But I always thought it should be the players option, not a mandatory replay. You stripe one down the middle on a tight hole, perhaps you are more okay with a ball safely in play that you lost a few yards on rather than risking the chance that the next one goes OB, in the lake or lost in a bush?
The goal has always been long and straight! But since I can no longer hit them long, hopefully straighter could be achieved more than occasionally?
 Message #98156 - This was a reply to message #98155
noeldaof

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    N/A

Thursday March 11, 2021 4:24 PM
QUOTED  [Posted By Itslikeimsayin on 03.11.2021 1:08 PM]

The course with overhead power lines I'm most familiar with is El Prado. I don't have a scorecard handy, but I'm fairly certain their local rule is that any ball coming in contact with the power lines MUST be replayed, regardless of outcome.

Everything Noel mentioned would need to be covered in a local rule as well. So I'm not really sure what this meant:

QUOTED  Wrong or right, it's been played that way for many years that I recall.

You asked if you were entitled to a relief. I gave an example of something I remembered about a man made obstruction.
Not exactly the same, however, I thought of bringing it up although you may not have been entitled to a relief, you may be entitled to a replay.

My comment about wrong or right was more about my post and has nothing to do with what you have taken as an action during your play.

I'm no rules guy. Just participating in the forum. Hope I wasn't offending anyone.
JVGA
 Message #98157 - This was a reply to message #98155
michaelko
NorCal Community Staff

GK Event: Played in a GK Event

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    N/A

Thursday March 11, 2021 4:44 PM
OP:
the only time you can get line of sight relief is if an object has been identified as a Temporary Immovable Obstruction.

Even if the sprinkler box was a TIO, which it's not, the line of sight relief would need to be on the line of the ball and the flag (not line of play)... so if it's 5 yds off, you wouldn't get that line of sight relief.

Someone mentioned bulldozer.... I would argue for that to be a TIO if something were on the line, and if nothing was on the line, I'd take it anyways.

Hitting a TIO does not give you the ability to replay the shot, unless specified by a local rule. So noel's statement is wrong. But you would get stance and swing and line of sight relief after hitting the TIO.

Most courses with power lines in play have a local rule that you MUST replay the shot... at least that has been my experience.
 Message #98158 - This was a reply to message #98157
Itslikeimsayin
GK Event: Played in a GK Event GKGC BIRDIE: GKGC Birdie Supporter SCGA GK Golf Club: Member

Favorite Golfer:
    Phil Mickelson
Favorite Golf Course:
    DragonRidge CC

Thursday March 11, 2021 8:34 PM
Thanks Michael.

Noel: No, you didn't offend anyone. It seemed, however, that you were applying the specific way YOU handle those situations as if those are the rules, when that's not the case (at least universally... All of those situations would need to be local rules).
 Message #98159 - This was a reply to message #98158
noeldaof

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    N/A

Friday March 12, 2021 9:16 AM
of course not.
JVGA
 Message #98160 - This was a reply to message #98159
kviser

SoCal Community Staff

GK Event: Played in a GK Event LA-GK-Meetup-Winner: LA GK Meetup Winner GKGC BIRDIE: GKGC Birdie Supporter SCGA GK Golf Club: Member

Favorite Golfer:
    Fred Couples
Favorite Golf Course:
    Pebble Beach

Monday March 15, 2021 7:21 AM
QUOTED  Or the barn that sits from a dogleg where a competitor demanded the barn doors be open on both sides to let his shot through.

This reminds me of a joke. It's kind of a poor joke, so I will not repeat it here. Maybe you heard it already. If not, ask me after a couple of beers.
 Message #98203 - This was a reply to message #98153
noeldaof

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    N/A

Monday March 15, 2021 7:39 AM
LOL ... I could only imagine... But, no, I have not. Would love to hear it though...
JVGA
 Message #98204 - This was a reply to message #98203

Listing 11 to 20 of 28 Replies

PAGES: 3 1 2 3

[ Community Page ]