Discussions in --- Use This to POST ---
Moderated By JohnnyGK

Forums
Greenskeeper.org
--- Use This to POST ---
Rules Question: Immovable Obstruction on Line o...
YOUR SETTINGSLIST FORUMSLIST TOPICSSEARCH

TOPIC: Rules Question: Immovable Obstruction on Line of Play

PRINT TOPICSEND THIS TO A FRIEND

Listing 21 to 28 of 28 Replies

PAGES: 3 1 2 3
Nickesquire
RE: Rules Question: Immovable Obstruction on Line of Play
GK Event: Played in a GK Event SCGA GK Golf Club: Member GKGC EAGLE: GKGC Eagle Supporter

Favorite Golfer:
    Jack-Freddie-Tiger-Rory
Favorite Golf Course:
    Pebble Wolf Creek Poppy

RPGC MAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Tuesday March 16, 2021 9:51 AM
QUOTED  Or the barn that sits from a dogleg where a competitor demanded the barn doors be open on both sides to let his shot through.

Possible on a fairly straight hole @ Langdon Farms in Aurora, OR. Longer par 4 where if you are left or even left center in the fairway a huge barn can block you out from going at the green. No one I have ever played with was going over that thing from 200 yards out. But if the barn doors were open on both sides, possible to play through it. Do not think it was marked as OB and wondered what would happen in a competition if a competitors ball ended up in the barn?
The goal has always been long and straight! But since I can no longer hit them long, hopefully straighter could be achieved more than occasionally?
 Message #98227 - This was a reply to message #98153
roarksown1
GK Event: Played in a GK Event Birdie Chain: Stake Holder BCB Birdie Chain GKGC Par: GKGC Par Supporter

Favorite Golfer:
    Ty Webb
Favorite Golf Course:
    Bighorn Golf Club

Tuesday March 16, 2021 10:41 AM
Playing at the now defunct Elkins Ranch (RIP) a few months back and my friend hit his drive right on par 4 5th hole very close to a man-made net/fence guarding errant shots from hitting golfers on the 3rd hole green. His shot to the green was obstructed by the net, so we came to the conclusion that he could get relief by moving the ball back from the line it came in on then drop without penalty where he had a shot over the net towards the green.

Now after reading this thread I'm entirely convinced that was wrong, but not sure how the logic applies. Would relief apply here or should he have just been forced to punch out back into the fairway despite having a shot to the green only obstructed by the man-made net?

[[Edited by roarksown1 on Tuesday March 16, 2021 11:50 AM]]
 Message #98228 - This was a reply to message #98227
Nickesquire
GK Event: Played in a GK Event SCGA GK Golf Club: Member GKGC EAGLE: GKGC Eagle Supporter

Favorite Golfer:
    Jack-Freddie-Tiger-Rory
Favorite Golf Course:
    Pebble Wolf Creek Poppy

Tuesday March 16, 2021 11:20 AM
QUOTED  should he have just been forced to punch out back into the fairway despite having a shot to the green only obstructed by the man-made net?

Did exactly that more than once on that hole unfortunately...

Short, dogleg right par 4 that they put up the protective netting to keep people from cutting the corner and beaning someone on 4 tee. It was internal OB if you went over the net into #4.

Numerous times I was able to skirt the edge of the tree line with a cut and knock it right down in front of the green, setting up an excellent up/down chance @ birdie or at worst a fairly easy par if I pulled the tee shot off.

However, if I lost it right and went over the fence or ended up next to the fence, was probably looking @ a Double. Which I also did more than once...

Because of a lack of space and for safety reasons, they created a quirky risk/reward short par 4 with the internal OB and the safety netting. Basically, it was a large penalty to go near the fence and miss getting over or around it back in play.
The goal has always been long and straight! But since I can no longer hit them long, hopefully straighter could be achieved more than occasionally?
 Message #98231 - This was a reply to message #98228
roarksown1
GK Event: Played in a GK Event Birdie Chain: Stake Holder BCB Birdie Chain GKGC Par: GKGC Par Supporter

Favorite Golfer:
    Ty Webb
Favorite Golf Course:
    Bighorn Golf Club

Tuesday March 16, 2021 11:54 AM
QUOTED  Because of a lack of space and for safety reasons, they created a quirky risk/reward short par 4 with the internal OB and the safety netting. Basically, it was a large penalty to go near the fence and miss getting over or around it back in play.

So there is no free drop back down the line of the tee shot to be able to go over the fence, correct? The correct call would be to have to punch out?
 Message #98234 - This was a reply to message #98231
michaelko
NorCal Community Staff

GK Event: Played in a GK Event

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    N/A

Tuesday March 16, 2021 12:28 PM
QUOTED  So there is no free drop back down the line of the tee shot to be able to go over the fence, correct? The correct call would be to have to punch out?

I feel like there are 2 different holes here.

if that net is an internal ob marker... then you don't get ANY relief. Caveat: if the net is ob, it's definitely SOL, but if it's overhanging inbounds, then I'm not sure.

If the ball is OB, you follow OB rules. IF the ball is inbounds, but the OB net is interfering, you follow the unplayable rules.

If the net is in the field of play, you follow immovable obstruction rules. 1 club length from nearest point of relief no closer to hole, stance and swing, not line of sight.
 Message #98236 - This was a reply to message #98234
Nickesquire

Favorite Golfer:
    Jack-Freddie-Tiger-Rory
Favorite Golf Course:
    Pebble Wolf Creek Poppy

Tuesday March 16, 2021 2:20 PM
Trying to remember which side of the screen the OB markers were on? But the net result was that you were almost assuredly IN bounds if you hit the screen, because your ball ended up on the #5 side after it bounced off the screen. I always had enough room for a punch out swing after hitting the screen, assuming you were not also blocked by trees AND you could find your ball.

If you went over the screen into #4, definitely OB.

I think Michael articulated perfectly the options on #5 @ Elkins if you went right. Definitely no line of sight relief from the old OB screen.
 Message #98238 - This was a reply to message #98236
michaelko
NorCal Community Staff

GK Event: Played in a GK Event

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    N/A

Tuesday March 16, 2021 2:40 PM
QUOTED  Trying to remember which side of the screen the OB markers were on? But the net result was that you were almost assuredly IN bounds if you hit the screen, because your ball ended up on the #5 side after it bounced off the screen. I always had enough room for a punch out swing after hitting the screen, assuming you were not also blocked by trees AND you could find your ball.

It's conceivable that your ball could roll up to the net and the net could interfere with your stance/swing, no?

so then if the net is inside white stakes, then immovable. if the net is designated the OB boundary or outside the stakes, then no relief.

of course, all of this is superceded by any local rules... check your scorecard for those.

[[Edited by michaelko on Tuesday March 16, 2021 2:41 PM]]
 Message #98239 - This was a reply to message #98238
Nickesquire

Favorite Golfer:
    Jack-Freddie-Tiger-Rory
Favorite Golf Course:
    Pebble Wolf Creek Poppy

Tuesday March 16, 2021 3:03 PM
QUOTED  It's conceivable that your ball could roll up to the net and the net could interfere with your stance/swing, no?

Conceivable but unlikely. There were a bunch of 30-40' tall pine trees between you and the OB fence that would almost always catch anything not hit higher than them. Trust me on this one, I hit really bad shots into those pines and some really good shots that barely caught a limb into those pines... then you were screwed and getting out with no more than a bogey was usually a good result.

QUOTED  of course, all of this is superceded by any local rules... check your scorecard for those.

Boy do I wish we could. Elkins closed last fall... fun little course!
 Message #98241 - This was a reply to message #98239

Listing 21 to 28 of 28 Replies

PAGES: 3 1 2 3

[ Community Page ]