Discussions in --- Use This to POST ---
Moderated By JohnnyGK

Forums
Greenskeeper.org
--- Use This to POST ---
Aviara: "Preferred Lies" all week!
YOUR SETTINGSLIST FORUMSLIST TOPICSSEARCH

TOPIC: Aviara: "Preferred Lies" all week!

PRINT TOPICSEND THIS TO A FRIEND

Listing 1 to 10 of 10 Replies

PAGES: 1
Itslikeimsayin
Aviara: "Preferred Lies" all week!
GK Event: Played in a GK Event GKGC BIRDIE: GKGC Birdie Supporter SCGA GK Golf Club: Member

Favorite Golfer:
    Phil Mickelson
Favorite Golf Course:
    DragonRidge CC

RPGC MAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Friday March 26, 2021 11:48 AM
They said during yesterday's first-round coverage of the Kia Classic that Aviara is playing as "preferred lies" (read: lift, clean and place) all week. They said it has something to do with a planned renovation that was postponed due to Covid and as a result, they didn't overseed this year.

The most recent GK review (December 2020) seems to have given a generous 7.9 rating.

My question is: Is this $250+ course really in that bad of condition, or are the players such prima donnas that they won't play the ball as it lies unless conditions are perfect?

I'm not sure which would be worst.
 Message #98317
JohnnyGK
RE: Aviara: "Preferred Lies" all week!

JohnnyGK

GK Event: Played in a GK Event GKGC EAGLE: GKGC Eagle Supporter Birdie Chain: Stake Holder BCB Birdie Chain SCGA GK Golf Club: Member

Favorite Golfer:
    GK'ers
Favorite Golf Course:
    Pebble Beach Golf Links

Friday March 26, 2021 12:09 PM
Bet those fairways are better than 90% of the fairways out there on public courses we all play down so

QUOTED  ...or are the players such prima donnas that they won't play the ball as it lies unless conditions are perfect?

I'm going with the "Prima Donnas"

Seriously, a professional golfer is compressing all their iron shots so how bad can it be? Lame. Play it down.
GK FACEBOOK - Please check it out - CLICK HERE - I'm doing fun posts all the time.
 Message #98318 - This was a reply to message #98317
FirstFlightFX-101
GKGC Par: GKGC Par Supporter GK Event: Played in a GK Event SCGA GK Golf Club: Member

Favorite Golfer:
    Dave Stockton
Favorite Golf Course:
    Oak Q & V, Rancho DelSol

Friday March 26, 2021 12:27 PM
Amen.

What if they don't want the cameras catching dye from the course on the balls??
 Message #98319 - This was a reply to message #98318
rob1563

Southern Nevada Community Staff

GK Event: Played in a GK Event GKGC EAGLE: GKGC Eagle Supporter SCGA GK Golf Club: Member

Favorite Golfer:
    Ryan Moore
Favorite Golf Course:
    Wolf Creek

Saturday March 27, 2021 2:10 PM
I was told a story of how the LPGA wanted a tournament at Las Vegas Country Club but wanted some conditions to improve, which sounds crazy. LVCC has a reputation of always being outstanding shape. I played it in the middle of summer and it was incredibly lush. Guessing they have some high standards.

On another note, they did get their Vegas tournament, hosting their version of Match Play at Shadow Creek at the end of May. It should be phenomenal.
 Message #98329 - This was a reply to message #98319
Nickesquire
GK Event: Played in a GK Event SCGA GK Golf Club: Member GKGC EAGLE: GKGC Eagle Supporter

Favorite Golfer:
    Jack-Freddie-Tiger-Rory
Favorite Golf Course:
    Pebble Wolf Creek Poppy

Saturday March 27, 2021 3:12 PM
I compare what I see today to the first LPGA Tournament I attended in person around 1985. Not even comparable. While stars like Nancy Lopez, Beth Daniels etc. were excellent players, when you got to the players barely qualifying... I was astounded by the amount of really poor shots I saw from some of the lesser known professionals who were good enough to play in an LPGA Tour event 35 years ago. The lesser players were neither very long nor overly consistent. Barely a threat to make the cut, much less win a tournament. And they were not playing for much $$$ in those days either.

Fast forward 35 years. The best LPGA players may not make PGA $$$, but they can make millions over their careers. The quality of play has improved tremendously on the LPGA Tour over the past 4 decades. Even the lesser known ladies barely making the LPGA Tour today can really play and would probably do just fine w/o "preferred" lies. But fans and the media want low scores, so they seek to provide the best opportunity for their players to shoot low.

My opinion is that "preferred" lies have a place when playing conditions warrant it. But otherwise, it has a tendency to raise the mediocre players closer to the better ball strikers. Because one of the things that separates the real players from the wantabe's is their ability to consistently hit good to excellent shots when the lies are not perfect.
The goal has always been long and straight! But since I can no longer hit them long, hopefully straighter could be achieved more than occasionally?
 Message #98330 - This was a reply to message #98329
Alex326
GK Event: Played in a GK Event Birdie Chain: Stake Holder BCB Birdie Chain GKGC EAGLE: GKGC Eagle Supporter

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    Pebble Beach

Sunday March 28, 2021 7:42 AM
So I'm finally getting the chance to watch the first day tournament coverage at Aviara and it's raining. Isn't Lift, , clean & place pretty standard during these types of conditions? Players are in rain gear, caddies have umbrella's out and even the macs are picking up the rain. I'd play LCP as well but Then again I have been known to be called a DIVA so maybe I just relate to them better!
 Message #98335 - This was a reply to message #98330
Itslikeimsayin
GK Event: Played in a GK Event GKGC BIRDIE: GKGC Birdie Supporter SCGA GK Golf Club: Member

Favorite Golfer:
    Phil Mickelson
Favorite Golf Course:
    DragonRidge CC

Sunday March 28, 2021 7:54 AM
Yes, but normally that would only apply to the rainy day. In this case, it seems it was decided before the tournament started that all four days would be played this way, regardless of weather.

I found it hard to discern conditions while watching that first round with rain and cloudy skies, but in subsequent rounds under sunny skies I have noticed some rather egregious bare spots in some of the fairways.
 Message #98337 - This was a reply to message #98335
Alex326
GK Event: Played in a GK Event Birdie Chain: Stake Holder BCB Birdie Chain GKGC EAGLE: GKGC Eagle Supporter

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    Pebble Beach

Monday March 29, 2021 5:00 AM
QUOTED  it was decided before the tournament started that all four days would be played this way, regardless of weather.

Gotcha, I see what you're saying now. Aviara is one of my favorite courses and the 7-8 times I've played it, the course has always been in fantastic shape so I comment on how it drains or holds water.
 Message #98350 - This was a reply to message #98337
zachary

GK Event: Played in a GK Event

Favorite Golfer:
    Paul Goydos
Favorite Golf Course:
    Industry Hills

Monday March 29, 2021 8:36 AM
I live in Carlsbad and have recently seen the course. It was in fantastic shape and there was no need for lift clean and place. The rain on Thursday was about .10 of an inch and it might have been cold but was not wet enough to need to lift, clean, and place. Aviara had closed off a bunch of tees a month in advance of the tourney and I heard one of the announcers say they were affected by all of the public play during covid.... the 40 rounds a day really crushed this course. Any of us would have considered the conditions a 9.5 or a 10.
 Message #98352 - This was a reply to message #98350
kurator62

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    N/A

RPGC MAIL USER ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Monday March 29, 2021 5:39 PM
for a very high end course, it wasn't in that good of shape.My comparison is to Mountain Vista in Palm Desert. Its in near perfection shape.I'm not a superintendent by no means and maybe the climate has a lot to do with it but they don't charge 250.00 a round.
 Message #98367 - This was a reply to message #98317

Listing 1 to 10 of 10 Replies

PAGES: 1

[ Community Page ]