NCGK Cup 1
YOUR SETTINGSLIST FORUMSLIST TOPICSSEARCH

TOPIC: NCGK Cup 1

PRINT TOPICSEND THIS TO A FRIEND

Listing 21 to 30 of 61 Replies

PAGES: 7 1 2 3 4 5
Alex326
RE: NCGK Cup 1
GK Event: Played in a GK Event Birdie Chain: Stake Holder BCB Birdie Chain GKGC EAGLE: GKGC Eagle Supporter GK Guru: GK Gurus Review Writers GK Cup Player: If you played in a GK Cup win or lose - you are acknowledged and appreciated!

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    Pebble Beach

RPGC MAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Sunday May 30, 2021 8:46 PM
Defending the home turf! I will get a results page with players / points going in the next day or two.
 Message #99069 - This was a reply to message #99064
michaelko
NorCal Community Staff

GK Event: Played in a GK Event GK Guru: GK Gurus Review Writers NorCal GK Cup: NorCal GK Cup 1

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    N/A

Monday May 31, 2021 2:52 PM
well, that was fun. Nice debut for me. Anyone who's played Apple mountain knows it's a wonderful sierra course an hour closer than tahoe... target golf, 5990 from the blues, par 70 with 6 par 3s. They give you a laminated tip sheet, which i referred to as the "paper caddy". The Paper Caddy recommended a drive more than 240 yds only 4 times. So it's 200-240 off the tee on most holes. Well, I listened to Paper Caddy every time, and executed well with my hybrids and 4 wood off the tee. I kept the ball in play all day. Matt was nutting his 4 iron all day. The only thing was he hit driver most of the day, and did not hit that well at all. And that was the difference. I was giving 4 a side, and he went 3-5 on the stroke holes. If he hit his 4 iron more, this match would've been much different. And I putted well, he putted ok.

I know you guys like the play by play. Let' see what I can do.

Hole1: both hit 200 yd shots downhill. Matt airmails the green to a impossible lie. My 4 beats his 6 net 5
Ko 1up

Hole2: downhill par 3, both miss green, but Matt has easier chip. Chips to 6 ft, but misses. 4-4.

Hole 3: Mike hits 4 wood center fairway, while Matt Driver loses ball. My 4 beats his 6 net 5.
ko 2up

Hole 4: a couple of par 3s

Hole 5: A par 5 that we both have a bad history. I hit 4 wood through the fairway, end up with ball above my feet. Matt nuts 4 iron and gets a routine par. I hit a hug block 2nd shot that was inches from a tree, but instead, ends up safe a wedge away. Matt wins his 5 net 4 beats my 5.
Ko 1up

Hole 6: Driver hole: I hit fairway green. Matt is wild. My 4 beat his 6 net 5
Ko 2up

Hole 7: My routine par 3 (missed 10 ft birdie putt) beats his 4
Ko wins 3 and 2

Hole 8: I think Matt hits 4 iron, gets par, to my 5
Ko 2up

Hole 9: Matt goes left with his driver, able to find it and he saves bogey. I go right, and get lucky and find my ball... limp my way to the green in 5, and make a 10 ft bogey putt to push.

Hole 10: I hit driver, but end up with a ball above my feet (again)... Matt loses his ball off the tee. My 5 beats his 6
Ko 3up, 1up

Hole 11: Matt nuts a 4 iron. We both make routine pars. His net 3 beats my 4
Ko 2 up, AS

Hole 12: I hit 4 wood middle, while Matt loses his driver ball right, he finds it, but has a tree blocking his approach. My 4 beats his 6 net 5
Ko 3up, 1up

HOle 13: My routine par 3 beats his 4
Ko 4up, 2up

Hole 14: Matt finally hits a good driver, makes par to my 5
Ko 3up, 1up

Hole 15: My routine par 3 beats his 4
Ko wins 4 and 3, 2 up

Hole 16: I finally miss a fairway, duckhooking a driver, while Matt is in play. I end up with an 8 to Matt's 6 net 5
Ko 1up

Hole 17: My routine par 3 beats Matt's 3 putt bogey.
Ko wins 2 and 1.

I did have an advantage of only an hour drive to Matt's 3 hrs... so props to him for making that effort. Looking forward to the next match.

[[Edited by michaelko on Monday May 31, 2021 2:56 PM]]

[[Edited by michaelko on Monday May 31, 2021 2:57 PM]]
 Message #99075 - This was a reply to message #99069
Alex326
GK Event: Played in a GK Event Birdie Chain: Stake Holder BCB Birdie Chain GKGC EAGLE: GKGC Eagle Supporter GK Guru: GK Gurus Review Writers GK Cup Player: If you played in a GK Cup win or lose - you are acknowledged and appreciated!

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    Pebble Beach

Monday May 31, 2021 5:13 PM
Nice recap. I see I have my work cut out for me.
 Message #99076 - This was a reply to message #99075
mpisarski01
GK Event: Played in a GK Event Birdie Chain: Stake Holder BCB Birdie Chain SCGA GK Golf Club: Member GK Guru: GK Gurus Review Writers GK Cup Player: If you played in a GK Cup win or lose - you are acknowledged and appreciated!

Favorite Golfer:
    John Daly & Anyone I beat
Favorite Golf Course:
    Circling Raven

Monday May 31, 2021 6:59 PM
Well Put Mike. The major difference in the day was of course the driver. Every shot on the range was perfect and dead straight but when it came time to use on the course I could align the shot down the middle most were dead straight but right or left into the forest. Eve mm safety drives which are around 230-250 couldn't stay on line. 4 iron was great but just didn't use it enough.
 Message #99077 - This was a reply to message #99076
Alex326

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    Pebble Beach

Wednesday June 9, 2021 11:32 PM
Some NCGK Cup matches took place today in Elk Grove and Stockton. It's been a long day so I will give the end results with some re-caps to come later by various competitors.

Morning Matches at Valley Hi Country Club.

MichaelKo vs. Alex326 - Michaelko won all 3 points in a match that was never close. Mike came out fighting with a birdie on the first hole to set the tone. The match was AS after the 3rd hole and then Mike proceeded to pull away at a steady pace with Alex only winning a couple of holes here and there to slow the bleeding. It was like watching the Harlem Globetrotters vs. the Washington Generals!

Deepsea14 vs Dblevs606 - Deepsea14 won all 3 points as well. Peter won the front nine 1 up then a battle ensued on the back nine with each player taking the lead a time or two. Peter won the 17 hole to secure the overall and then put the slam dunk on the match with a win of the 18th to secure the back nine as well.

Afternoon Matches at Stockton Country Club

MichaelKo vs. Dblevs606 - MichaelKo won all 3 points. Each player started off with a par then it turned into a who wants to lose it the most with each player taking turns having blowup holes. Mike employed a last man standing effort to win the 9th and take the front nine. That was momentum swing for the match and Mike began to get his game under control to take steady control of the back nine securing all three points after the 16th hole.

Alex326 vs. Deepsea14 - Peter was rocking the best shoes ever (purple and yellow) but that wasn't enough to prevent Alex from securing all 3 points. Alex started off with a couple of pars and in fact was 1 over after 4 holes to go 2 up right away. Peter fought hard but a birdie on the ninth gave Alex a 2 up win on the front nine. The back nine was a close battle with each player being 1 up at one point or another. In the end, Alex managed to win the back nine 1 up to secure all three points.

So with 6 weeks to go, MichaelKo is firmly planted in the finals after securing ALL 9 points for his three matches. The question is now who will secure enough points for the second seed.
 Message #99187 - This was a reply to message #99077
Deepsea14
GK Event: Played in a GK Event GKGC EAGLE: GKGC Eagle Supporter Birdie Chain: Stake Holder BCB Birdie Chain GK Cup Player: If you played in a GK Cup win or lose - you are acknowledged and appreciated!

Favorite Golfer:
    Dad and his Dad
Favorite Golf Course:
    The one I'm playing

Thursday June 10, 2021 8:08 AM
QUOTED  MichaelKo is firmly planted in the finals after securing ALL 9 points for his three matches. The question is now who will secure enough points for the second seed.

Certainly has been identified as the player in the Cup deserving the top ranking. Well played.

Overall accurate description of the matches by Alex. The 3-0 results are not indicative of the close spirited battles on these two classic central valley tracks. Seasonally cooler temps made it an ideal day for 36 holes. Alex and I both scored 3 points for the day. If he went 1-2 / 2-1 in each match for the same daily total of 3 and my matches could have the same scores flipped 2-1/1-2 as well. In other words the matches were closely contested by all sides.

Great to be able to play and have the options of lunch and after round beverage. That was my take away for the day post-pandemic loosening of rules. A good different to be able to do that again with fellow golfers. Hopefully the courses see the F&B come back and tee rates soften a bit?

Hey I'm listed in second. With the fashion points tiebreaker secured with my Robert Marchand tribute shoes. (French bicyclist / google him)
If the playoffs started today....
 Message #99191 - This was a reply to message #99187
michaelko
NorCal Community Staff

GK Event: Played in a GK Event GK Guru: GK Gurus Review Writers NorCal GK Cup: NorCal GK Cup 1

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    N/A

Thursday June 10, 2021 8:13 PM
ok.. Alex v Mko Valley Hi CC.. 6500yd par 72 parkland track in immaculate shape, fast greens running at least 11, maybe 12.. Alex getting 4 a side. This was my home course, so I had a distinct advantage, as I play 75+ rounds a year here. But I tried to give as much advice as they would take... didn't help. Alex never really found a groove. Maybe it had to do with his 3 hr drive getting there 30 minutes before tee off.. .and he took 15 of those to change his clothes. My game was pretty on, only a few mistakes with good recoveries, decent putting... He did battle, but wore out on the back 9

I won 2up, 3and 2, 5 and 3 overall.

Hole 1: I make a birdie out the gate, after watching Alex skull a shot over the green. He doesn't know it, but the look in his eyes after I drained the 15 footer... like... 'I should've left 30 minutes earlier'.
ko 1up

Hole 2: Hardest hole on the course.. Alex limps his way to a double, while I miss a 5 ft par save.. 6 net5 to my 5.

Hole 3: Alex goes fairway/green par with a stroke... his net bird beats my bog
AS

Hole 4: Par 5: Alex loses his tee shot, with a skyball into the trees, then limps his way to a 8, while i par the hole
Ko 1up

Hole 5: Alex is in the bunker, routine par for me;
ko 2up

Hole 6: Alex hits into a fairway bunker and gets a sandy par. I go a little over and can't get up and down... but his net bird beats my bog again.
Ko 1up

Hole 7: I yank my tee shot with my first bad shot of the day, and have to work hard for a bogey. Alex hits just short of the green and gets up and down ofr a par.
AS

Hole 8: Alex criss crosses his way to a 8, and it's a par 5, so quite a few criss crosses. I par to go
ko 1up

Hole 9: I suffer my only 3 putt of the day to get bog, but it's good enough on this stroke hole, as Alex gets a 7... He also 3 putted, when a 2 putt would've halved.
Ko wins 2up

HOle 10: routine par... Alex hits into the lake I think, but can't get a 5 net 4 to halve.
Ko 3up, 1up

HOle 11: Alex hits I think the drive of the round, and gets a bogey on the hardest hole on the back. I hit a fairway bunker and can't save par. HIs 5 net 4 beats my 5
Ko 2up, AS

HOle 12: We both par this straightaway shorter par 4

Hole 13: Alex leaks his shot right, right behind a tree... hits his 3rd in the water... limps to a 7. routine par for me
ko 3up, 1up

Hole 14: I overestimate the wind... fly the par 3 green. Alex hits into a bunker and gets bog. I make my 5 footer to save par.
ko 4 up, 2 up

Hole 15: long par 4, water on the right. I hit my drive right to miss my first fairway, but it was long enough to carry the lake about 230 into the wind. The tees were up which helped me. Alex follows me, but he is shorter and hits into a funnel towards the water. I save bogey to beat his 7 net 6.
Ko wins overall 5 and 3. 3up

Hole 16: par 3... Alex makes an amazing sandy.... you have to see it to believe it... beautiful sand shot on top of a hump and rolled to 5 ft... which he nailed. I hit the green and make a long 2 putt... with a 4 ft save. 2 pars.. but the half gives me the win, 3 and 2.

I technically missed 6 fairways... but only 2 hurt me... 2 misses were on a par 5 with a full shot, 1 went into a bunker, and 2 were just fine. I shot net par, so I was in a groove. Alex struggled to find his game. He would've beat me in the afternoon.

Oh well, maybe in the rematch. Had a blast.
 Message #99197 - This was a reply to message #99192
Alex326

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    Pebble Beach

Thursday June 10, 2021 9:05 PM
Impressive recall of the round Mike. My therapist has already erased it from my memory! I had not shot over 96 (have had a few 94's & 95's) in over 51 rounds going back to Early February so I just picked the wrong time to have all clubs take a vacation. No excuses with travel or wardrobe malfunctions. You played solid throughout the round and I'm actually impressed that I had it all square after the 7th. I forgot that I clawed my way back.

You had your foot on the accelerator and home course advantage had nothing to do with the outcome of the match. My poor play and your solid performance contributed to the landslide and you deserved all 3 points without a doubt. 1 for being sharply dressed (with a back up outfit for the second match), 2 for being a great host, and 3 for being a genuinely good golfer.

QUOTED  Oh well, maybe in the rematch. Had a blast.

Bad game or not, I enjoyed the course a lot. I'm more upset about not making the 6' birdie putt on the 16th in the afternoon to retake the NCGK Birdie chain back than I am about the butt whooping you gave me in the morning!
 Message #99198 - This was a reply to message #99197
michaelko
NorCal Community Staff

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    N/A

Thursday June 10, 2021 10:49 PM
round 2. Stockton CC. Michaelko vs dblevs606. 6240yds, par 71. Super windy, like 30mph wind. Darren getting 15 strokes.

Mike won 3up, 4 and 2 back, 6 and 4 overall.

Darren started out with a par net bird, which beat my my par to take a quick 1 up lead. But mike takes the next 3 as he goes 1 under to Darren's 5over.

Mike finally shows he's human with a hook drive, 2 unplayables for a quad to let Darren back to 1 down. But then Darren ran out of gas and was unable to get out of the tailspin.

Personally, after 22 holes of pretty d%mn good golf, I reverted back to average golf for 6 holes, shooting 12 over holes 5-10. Then I shot even par holes 11-16 with my 3rd birdie of the day, and a solid hold on the birdie chain... only to shoot 5 over the last 2 holes. I shot net +11 with 2 birds, 7 pars, 4 bogeys, and 5 others. A combo of the wind and unfamiliar course, along with greens a foot and a half slower than the morning round led to inconsistency and struggles for all.

It was good enough for the 3 pt sweep.
 Message #99199 - This was a reply to message #99197
Deepsea14
GK Event: Played in a GK Event GKGC EAGLE: GKGC Eagle Supporter Birdie Chain: Stake Holder BCB Birdie Chain GK Cup Player: If you played in a GK Cup win or lose - you are acknowledged and appreciated!

Favorite Golfer:
    Dad and his Dad
Favorite Golf Course:
    The one I'm playing

Friday June 11, 2021 8:58 AM
Morning match Ds14 vs dblev Playing even.
1st Deepsea (DS) won the hole with a good recovery shot from a sprayed drive. dblev (DB) had trouble in the right front bunker.
3rd DS bogey 2Up
6th DS 3Up lead only par of the round on the par 4 6th. DS made long putt for par to cap DB long putt he made from fringe for bogey.
7th DB par win DS doubles 2Up
8th DB bogey wins hole DS 1up
9th halfed DS wins front one up

Back 9 DB comes out swinging bogey, par, par goes 3 up after 3 and 2 up in the overall. DS three unremarkable double bogeys.
DS takes holes 13 and 14 with bogeys to even the overall and one hole down back nine.
Ugly hole 15 won by DS by default. Back 9 all square.
16th DB wins with a bogey
17th DS wins with a double bogey Back 9 all square Overall Deepsea 1up onto Par 5 18th
Finishing hole DS drives right has opening for hybrid hits well just avoiding fairway bunker. Wedge near front chip on two putt.
Secures bogey to win hole.

Box score
Deepsea 1up front
Deepsea 1up back
2up overall

The holes were won by a par or bogey in this match until I survived the 15th and my double on 17 after DB drives found the water. Fortunate to get by with the slim margins for 3 points.

Afternoon match I can add some color to what Alex has posted as the 3 point winner.
Receiving plenty of strokes didn't matter. It wasn't enough.
Alex got his game back on track right away two pars a bogey and a par had me 3 down after 4 holes.
His one poor hole the 7th I was worse. Alex was 3up two to go on front. I pared short 8th hole for my only win on front. He made a great birdie stinging a 4 iron and draining the putt on 9th.
Unremarkable play on the back 9 kept me in it digging for the point. Made par on 13th from the wrong side of the entry road to the club. Won 14 with a bogey to go one up on back 9. But foul ball into lateral hazard on 17th with the balky driver sealed the deal.

Final: Alex 3&2 front / Alex 2 up back / Alex 3&2 overall 3 points to Alex326
 Message #99203 - This was a reply to message #99199

Listing 21 to 30 of 61 Replies

PAGES: 7 1 2 3 4 5

[ Community Page ]